Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc Interview Questions

3.5

Staff I-structural Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc.

Interview

The interviewers were were typically principals at the office where I was applying. They were very nice, and the interview was very interesting. First there were a few technical questions to solve on the board (structural design and structural analysis), and then they welcomed any questions I had about the company and the work that they do in their office. Afterwards, I met with a junior engineer who was very supportive and answered any additional questions I had. They were great.

Staff I - Building Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc (Waltham, MA).

Interview

The interview process took from 9am to 5pm. Met with 14 employees ranging from staff members, to senior principals. I met with each one of them one on one. In the beginning of the day, they asked me to talk about myself for 15 minutes in front of 20 employees, including several senior principals. Went to lunch with young staff members. It was a great feeling and motivation boost to be taken this serious.

Interview Questions

• Describe for projects. Your most/ least favorite class. Couple basic frame analysis problems.   Answer Question

Staff I - Structures Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Spoke with principals from several different offices. They were very polite and interested in your background and aspirations. Asked about school classes, resume experiences, etc. Then asked some technical questions they asked me to solve on the fly.

Interview Questions

• Know your frame moment diagrams and retaining wall FBD's   Answer Question

Staff I - Building Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc (Boston, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

Took about a month from job application to interview. Interview was actually REALLY long which HR doesn't tell you about ahead of time. 9am-5pm, and a couple younger engineers treat you to lunch. It was an OK day. As a mechanical engineer, I definitely wasn't sure why I was being interviewed for the role I was, but with modeling experience, a single interview was relevant and interesting for me. All the employees looked happy, but I could tell everyone works hard, maybe TOO hard. Anyways, HR was really nice, but I wish someone had told me to plan for an entire day. I didn't end up hearing back in time, and took an offer at another company. I reached out to tell SGH that and gave them the last chance to follow-up and make an offer, but I haven't heard back.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Also there's a spelling test, so prepare for that. Did you fiddle around with stuff as kid? Typical kind of questions to see what makes their engineers tick. Also, you need to give a 15 min presentation about you and your experience at the start of the day, to a room full of 20 engs, junior to senior staff. so HAVE FUN   Answer Question

Proposal Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc (Boston, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

Had an initial call with a fantastic in-house recruiter. The call was pleasant and informative. After the call I had a good sense of the company including some of their high level goals and growth strategies. After the call
    I was invited for an in person interview with my potential direct report. This person was also pleasant and provided some background info regarding the company and the department.

Interview Questions

• What qualities make a good manager?   1 Answer

Corporate Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc (Waltham, MA).

Interview

During two visits on two different days I met with HR, department Director, the rest of the department, two Principals, and the CEO. Interviews were informal but pretty grueling due to the length. But it gave me a good feel for the people I'd be working with and I could tell it was a good fit for me. Corp Recruiter was excellent, helpful, and very friendly which put me at ease.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What is one of your weaknesses? What are you interested in learning more about in the future?   Answer Question

Staff I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc (Boston, MA).

Interview

That was a very formal interview. I talked to many people during the interview. They are high up in the company and very friendly. They firstly introduced their company about what they do in each offices. Then they asked me about my previous professional experience and discuss what that experience could help for this job. The interview took a whole day from morning to afternoon, including a lunch with some young staffs.

Interview Questions

• One of the question was what courses did you take during school?   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc (Waltham, MA).

Interview

I was invited for a two-hour interview at site. Met with senior and junior engineers, head of the department and principal manager. All went well, they asked structural analysis questions and had me solve them on the board while 5 of the engineers were in the room. Too much stress to go through and I was not told that it will be an oral examination like that.

Building Technologies Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

3 hours. Met with multiple levels of staff from fairly new engineers to principals. All great people. Seemed authentically interested in developing employees. Felt fairly laid back and didn't try to "catch" me with any out of left field questions or generic questions.

Building Technology, Entry-Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Long interview, I was there for about six hours. I met with six or seven people total, some of them were via webcam in the other offices. In the middle of the day, I went out to lunch with five of the younger engineers to have a more casual conversation about the company.

Everyone who interviews you will have looked over your resume, transcript, and writing sample. A few of the older people asked me about any below average grades I got. It is very clear that they have high standards and want to hire intelligent people. They ask a lot about why I wanted to do building technology, which is something I had never really heard of until I applied to this position. I felt much more comfortable towards the end of the day after I had answered the same questions over and over again.

Interview Questions

• Explain part of your senior project as if you were talking to a 5th grader.   Answer Question