Singapore Press Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Singapore Press Interview Questions

Interviews at Singapore Press

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Singapore Press (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

1) Panel Interview: with a HR manager and your desk supervisor.

2) Once that is done, you will be scheduled to do a very VERY RIGOROUS language and reasoning test. 3 hours long. You can cheat by asking someone who have did it - they haven't really changed the test in the last 20 years.

3) Wait. The wait might kill you, but hang on. It might take 1 - 2 months.

4) An offer will be made.

Interview Questions

• Current affairs, reviewing of your past writing / content producing work for any holes. Do not cheat on your portfolio. These are real journalists with decades of fieldwork under their belts.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Singapore Press (Singapore (Singapore)) in January 2011.

Interview

Need to complete a 3 hours translation test before getting a chance for an interview. The interview takes approximately 1 hour plus, with only one interviewer. He asked a lot of questions to test applicant's knowledge and interest for the job applied. You have to be familiar with current news and affairs.

Journalist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Singapore Press.

Interview

The application process is pretty straightforward although I emailed a HR manager to get the interview.
    Preceding the interview is a 2 or 3-hour English test that looks bafflingly easy: fill-in-the-blanks; proofreading; sentence structure agreement etc, followed by a few short essays that you have plenty of scope to explore. That was the easy part.
    I was intimidated by the HR manager, who went right for the hard questioning stance you see on a serious CNN special interview. After some personal questions, she rummaged for holes as she pressed for lessons learnt in my previous internships and my job scope. She was not looking for technicality but was trying to see conviction.
    Then came the last bit to sniff out your curiosity as a journalist, asking what news interest you both worldwide and local - the latter had me in a fix for some reason. Looking back, anything that appears on your facebook feed would have sufficed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It's just an internship. Negotiated for a specific department but it seemed like they needed an intern in another place that's facing some staffing issues, so off there I was sent.

Journalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Singapore Press (Singapore (Singapore)) in August 2012.

Interview

Applied online when I saw an ad on the newspaper. Filled up application form; did a written test that consists of 1 essay, 1 translation and several sections that test your linguistics skills. About one week later, they shortlisted me for an interview with 3 people: 1 hiring manager, 2 editors of newspapers. I waited for 1.5 hours for them. My gosh. They are not very sincere in hiring and it seems like they are fulfilling some kind of quota or target. The people are very rude. Overall experience is a very negative one.

Interview Questions

• Before I sat down, they immediately said that "I would quit within 6 months". Seriously, that is extremely prejudice. They just keep saying it is hard and I would quit without giving me any chance to market myself. If they are not sincere about hiring fresh graduate, please say so, dont waste my time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Singapore Press (Singapore (Singapore)) in April 2009.

Interview

You have to take a written test first which is pretty easy. Editing a passage for grammar/etc, and a comprehension passage where you answer questions after reading a passage. Once you get past the first hurdle, you get called in for interviews. It's usually with 2 editors from the paper you are applying to, and one HR person.

Interview Questions

• This would be skill-specific depending on whether you're applying to be a reporter, sub-editor or copy-editor. But if you've done well for the written portion, the questions should be lifestyle based ie if you're ready to work odd hours, are you able to deliver to a very tight deadline etc   Answer Question

Negotiation

If you're not a fresh grad, you should negotiate. State how much you expect (but not OTT because they will just stop negotiations) and go from there. There is a dearth of talent in the organisation now and they're quite desperate for good people to hire.

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Singapore Press (Singapore (Singapore)) in November 2015.

Interview

Writing Test comprising grammar test, spelling test, long and short essays on opinion topics such as population and technology.
    Face to Face interview with recruiter to show portfolio, explain motivation for applying to company and ability to fit in with hectic daily schedule of reporter.

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Singapore Press (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2016.

Interview

A three-part written assessment then interview with the title editor. The written assessment involved writing on an area of interest, likely so that they could see which title you would be suitable for. The other sections consisted of a grammar test and one to see how well you summarise information.

Interview Questions

• What kind of stories you would want to write and how would you go about approaching subjects?   Answer Question

Journalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Singapore Press (Singapore (Singapore)) in February 2014.

Interview

They asked me to do a written test and thereafter asked what I did in school and my hobbies. We had a 1 to 1 chat, my interviewer was the supervisor if I got the job if I'm not wrong.

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Singapore Press in December 2009.

Interview

Asked general questions like introducing myself and asked why I want to leave my current job.

Interview Questions

• What are the bookmarks in your browser and what are they used for?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Singapore Press (Singapore (Singapore)) in November 2010.

Interview

There is a written test where the first section you're tested on your grammar, basically, with an editing exercise. Thereafter, this is followed by a written essay responding to one of several scenarios listed. For the interview process, the HR personnel will be asking you questions like "how often do you read the papers", "which papers and/or which sections" and "where do you want to work"

Interview Questions

• no real hard questions really, it was all relaxed and pretty enjoyable a process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

was not able to negotiate since it is a fixed rate for interns.