Skadden Arps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 16, 2017

2.7

Citrix Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview - Very friendly and professional gentleman. I was contacted by a recruiter and after a little less than a week I spoke to the hiring manager on the phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I interviewed on January 10th at a NYC college career fair where companies were also holding interviews that same day. My interviewer was a Legal Assistant supervisor. She basically went through my resume and asked about my experiences.

Technology Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Skadden Arps in January 2017.

Interview

Received an email to come in for an interview. Meet with HR, the supervisor and his manager. Nice people. The supervisor was ok. His manager talked a lot and took me on a tour which I never like.

Interview Questions

• Basic IT questions. If you have experience you should be fine.   Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Interview

Met with the head of the whole office who tells you about the history of the company in Boston as well as the head of the paralegals. The questions are fairly standard, including how do you handle long hours, stress, etc, essentially they are looking for someone who is willing to put in the work and handle the environment of a large law firm.

Legal Assistant Interview

Interview

Awesome interview process. They ask hard questions because they really want to make sure you are the right fit for them. There is a lot of tedious, monotonous work involved in the position and they will most likely as you how you feel about that. Overall, it was a great learning experience.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (Syracuse, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied through a referral. Submitted my resume and cover letter and three weeks later HR contacted via email to schedule an on-site interview. Since I was away in college at that time and it was impossible for me to fly to New York City for a day and then come back to go to class, I regretfully told them I wouldn't be able to move forward. However, they then made an exception to perform a Skype interview with me.

Skype Interview was painless. Representative was pleasant and asked me straight forward questions and seemed eager to get to know me more. Only wished there was more of a concrete answer to my questions regarding the internship itself. I didn't like how you were only assigned a specific department to work for after you commit. Also, the only law-related question was "why do you want to work here?" Clearly they're trying to recruit people who's not only doing it for the resume boost.

At the end of the interview which lasted less than 20 minutes, I was verbally offered the position and given a week to decide which I (once again) regretably turn down since I had a different offer more in line with what I'm doing at school.

Legal Practice Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (New York, NY).

Interview

Submitted my application, heard back within a week. I applied for the position that included an explicit language requirement but it appeared that the hiring process was no different for the position I applied for than it would have been for a normal Legal Practice Assistant. The language requirement was a little misleading as I had prepared to focus on my translation chops. In any case, I met first with the HR rep, who seemed a bit distracted but was overall nice. That interview involved general questions about my work experience, etc. Next, I met with the manager of the Legal Assistant team. The interviewer started by asking many personal questions, which put me at ease but also was a bit hard to manage. Then, we moved to more practical questions. I thought the interview went pretty well, but I didn't get an offer: perhaps I didn't answer the interview question regarding my connection to the firm properly....

Interview Questions

• Do you have a connection to the firm?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Recruiter screens prospects and will set up an initial meeting with Office Administrator which lasted less than a half hour and was casual and relaxed. Providing more details regarding the position, some background on why position was open and description of a typical day. Also gave summary of benefits offered and current office projects. Did not meet with Firm Administrator because of conflict in scheduling. A week later, I was invited for a second interview to take assessment tests (typing, spelling and legal terminology) before presenting an offer.

Interview Questions

• We are looking for someone with strong technical skills. How are you at using MS Office?   Answer Question

Global Business Development Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted after an online submission and first interview was with a recruiter. For the most part we basically matched my resume to the job description so make sure you do that.

Next interview was with a manager, and the third one was with a more senior manager.

Never heard back from them. They seemed to be gauging what was out there in the market rather than actively hiring and implied strongly that they were waiting for a better applicant than me to come along saying: "don't be alarmed if you don't hear back for a number of weeks, we're really just waiting to see who else will apply, and are also holding a number of candidates that came before you for this job".

EDIT: I'm a minority and just received a survey request (after no communication for almost 3 months since my last interview) because the government has to check that Skadden is doing its part for all genders, races, ethnicity, veterans etc. Wonder if that's the only reason I was interviewed....

Interview Questions

• Can you create very quick PowerPoint presentations complete with graphics and charts in an hour or so?
      What attracted you to this position?
      Answer Question

Legal Secretary Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

I arrived at offices (which are in need of an update) and waited 15 minutes past appointment time before I was escorted back to meeting area by HR representative, who was very nice and apologetic for delay. After a few normal preliminary questions (why are you looking for a new job, why do you want to work here, etc.) I was tested on Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint (all "Normal User" versions), and my typing speed. I was left alone in the testing room while I completed the tests, and I'm not sure if there's a camera in the room or if they can watch the computer screen from another room while you're testing, but they knew exactly when I finished which was a bit odd.
    Then the "interrogation" began by the Secretarial Trio: Manager, Supervisor, and Coordinator. The Manager ran the show, and she's very abrasive and will ask you a question, then cut you off before you've finished answering it. She lets you know how things are done at Skadden, the existing staff has been there a long time, and that there is no room for digression from their current procedures. The Supervisor has better people skills and would be a better representative for the firm. The Coordinator was a complete was of time and simply sat slouched in her chair looking like she was ready to fall asleep. The Manager seemed to belittle my work aspirations and put a negative spin on what I had to say after asking me why I wanted to do the same kind of work I did at my previous firm. I knew before the interrogation even ended that it was not the firm for me! Regarding benefits, the pamphlet given to my by the HR rep indicates the following "Office Perks" (none of which seem very perky to me!):
    Skadden Perks Program - A wide array of discounts from name brand retailers.
    Employment Recognition Program - Firm recognizes employees with 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35 years of service. Staff Appreciate Day celebration recognizes all support staff annually.
    Office-Wide Events - A variety of events such as 4th of July family-style BBQ, Take Our Children To Work Day, Year-End Holiday Celebration.
    New Mom's Room - In an effort to make the adjustment back to work easier, the firm provides a specially designated private room for nursing mothers.
    Computer & Wireless Discount Programs - Discounts on certain computers and wireless plans.
    Movie Tickets - Discounted movie tickets valid at several local movie theatre chains.
    Flu Shot Clinic
    and ... a DISCRETIONARY Year-End Bonus paid to CERTAIN employees who meet CERTAIN eligibility requirements. Interesting!
    But here's a different one:
    Take Home Dinners! -- Order ahead dinners available on Wednesdays and Fridays!!

Interview Questions

• With 20 years of experience, I was asked why I wanted to work at the senior level.
      (Seriously?!)