Skadden Arps Legal Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Skadden Arps Legal Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I interviewed on January 10th at a NYC college career fair where companies were also holding interviews that same day. My interviewer was a Legal Assistant supervisor. She basically went through my resume and asked about my experiences.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Skadden Arps

Legal Assistant Interview

Interview

Met with the head of the whole office who tells you about the history of the company in Boston as well as the head of the paralegals. The questions are fairly standard, including how do you handle long hours, stress, etc, essentially they are looking for someone who is willing to put in the work and handle the environment of a large law firm.

Legal Assistant Interview

Interview

Awesome interview process. They ask hard questions because they really want to make sure you are the right fit for them. There is a lot of tedious, monotonous work involved in the position and they will most likely as you how you feel about that. Overall, it was a great learning experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Recruiter screens prospects and will set up an initial meeting with Office Administrator which lasted less than a half hour and was casual and relaxed. Providing more details regarding the position, some background on why position was open and description of a typical day. Also gave summary of benefits offered and current office projects. Did not meet with Firm Administrator because of conflict in scheduling. A week later, I was invited for a second interview to take assessment tests (typing, spelling and legal terminology) before presenting an offer.

Interview Questions

• We are looking for someone with strong technical skills. How are you at using MS Office?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Friendly and relaxed considering the kind of firm Skadden is. Met with two Legal Assistants. They asked basic questions regarding my resume, past experience in law, and education. They asked a fair bit about why I wanted pursue this specific career and why I wanted to interview at Skadden.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

I was referred through a friend so I was able to skip the phone screen and cover letter (which I assume is part of the process based on other reviews provided by Glassdoor). That said, I first met with the Senior HR Specialist and then the head of the Legal Assistant Department for two separate interviews, both of which lasted 20 minutes. They had me meet with my contact after who was another legal assistant. She showed me around, answered my questions, and showed me out. Prior to this, we had to fill out an application form detailing references and past employment history. It took a while--I probably spent too much time detailing my accomplishments. I should have prepared more to answer these questions concisely. They seemed friendly and encouraging so that was easy to work with.

Interview Questions

• What would you bring to the team?
      Asked about my specific resume accomplishments (I went abroad to China, they asked if I spoke Chinese)?
      Are you willing to put in long hours?
      How well do you work in groups/team? Under high stress?
      Tell us about yourself.
      Why do you want to work for Skadden?
      Explain your past legal experience to us.
      Very typical questions.
      Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Skadden Arps.

Interview

I applied to a legal assistant position on their website. About a month later, I received an email from a recruiter asking to set up a phone interview. In their initial email, they are extremely upfront that this position demands overtime consistently.

That is the nature of the business and everyone at Skadden Arps are highly motivated and hard working. They have a reputation for being a "sweatshop," however I didn't get that impression at all. You need to put in the hours to be a leading international law firm. They are very supportive of one another and understanding of life situations. There is also very low turnover at their D.C. office.

The initial interview asked about my interest in Skadden, why I wanted the position, and basic questions on my background and experience. Afterward, I was invited to interview at their office. I spoke with two managers individually. There was some overlap with the questions. Essentially they wanted me to recall times I worked on a team or had to deal with a difficult situation. It was basic behavioral and situational questions that wanted to gauge whether I would be able to handle the workload and culture. Once again, they reiterated that the position would require overtime.

I was very impressed by Skadden and thoroughly enjoyed my interviews. They also offered to connect me with a current legal assistant to ask questions. This was extremely helpful and a great opportunity.

Skadden's offer was competitive for the position with seemingly endless opportunity to make more money through overtime. I would have immediately accepted their offer had I not received an offer for a position in a different industry that paid significantly better.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Very pleasant interview process and I was treated with a lot of respect. Overall it was much less stressful than my other interviews. I definitely enjoyed meeting the interviewers and getting to know more about the firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online through their website and got a call back about 3 weeks later to set up a phone screening interview. After that, I went in to the office for an onsite interview. The interview went on for a little over 2 hours with 4 different people. They asked a lot of behavioral questions.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skadden Arps (Boston, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

I had a first round phone interview and an afternoon of in-person interviews. Most questions were straightforward and general (work experience, educational background, why interested in Skadden, etc.). Everyone that I interacted with was friendly and professional. I received a call back within a week from my interview.