Cover image for Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill Interview Questions

Updated Feb 1, 2023

To filter interviews, or .
Found 156 of over 156 interviews

Campus Recruiting9%
2.8
HardAverageEasy

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Application

I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Interview

The interview process was overall a pleasant experience. They asked me to talk about my portfolio, my design process, and any previous experience I had. The conversation was friendly and showed interest in my work.

Interview Questions
  • Do you have any work experience in other firms? What are the different design softwares you are familiar with?
    Answer Question

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Application

I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Interview

It was a Friendly conversation, very comfortable and easy going , they did introduce the company and the work environment. it first started with a breif introduction about your self getting to know more about you and your work through abportfolio preview as well

Interview Questions
  • Tell us more about you and your journey ? Where do you see yourself in the company? Walk us through your portfolio? In your previous job what was your rule and responsibility? What is the expected salary

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Application

I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Interview

Reviewed experience, portfolio, project roles. Discussed responsibilities, working method, software experience. Discussed position within team and work expectations. Reviewed projects types within team / principles work. Salary range and work hours

Interview Questions
  • What role did you play in the projects shown within your portfolio?

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Application

I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Interview

Portfolio review, discussion of projects, experience, and role played in those projects. Information about the company, benefits, culture, projects. Range of project types, clients, etc. Questions regarding availability, salary. Introduction to directors, managers, employees.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Application

I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Interview

After submitting writing samples, experience, and recommendations, I met with a department head who asked about my interest and experience as well as my qualifications. After the interview I was contacted shortly to submit additional samples.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (New York, NY)

Interview

Online interview, I spoke with 2 person, the studio director was late, they are both very friendly. The interview lasted 30 mins, they did not seems interested. It was more like a process they have to do.

Interview Questions
  • They asked if I am more interested in design or technical.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (Chicago, IL)

Interview

In person in Chicago office, interviewed with junior level and senior level employees. Total interview time was around 1.5 hours, questions were generally focused on educational and professional background, career goals, work style, and motivation.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Application

I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Interview

This was a 3 round virtual process which included speaking to many different members of team explaining my past projects. We delved into my portfolio and studio projects from schoolz

Interview Questions
  • Describe a firm you respect and speak about one of their projects.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (San Francisco, CA)

Interview

1. Firm won’t interview you until you have agreed with their full vaccine policy. 2. Once you go through the rounds of interviews, they then request to speak with your references. a. H R declined to have any discussion about the salary range for the position before checking references. 3. While I was more than willing to meet their vaccine policy (even putting aside personal medical concerns- they don’t offer exemptions), they weren’t flexible with allowing me time to finish meeting their vaccine requirement, i.e. couldn’t come into the office, couldn’t start remote. Would you still want to work at SOM? 4. Other firms I was interviewing with still had a vaccine policy but a. other firms had flexibility to complete the doses i.e., start remote i. and even exemption opportunities b. another firm interviewed me, valued my skillset, experience, liked how I presented myself and demonstrated this during the interview process, then sent me an offer. If we agreed, they then proceed with reference check---how it should be as it saves everyone time. 5. While I was initially excited about the opportunity and felt the design t e a m I spoke with were very pleasant, the SF H R coord. was completely inflexible. After respectfully requesting to have a conversation re: the above), H R coord. invited me to withdraw. So, I withdrew and moved forward with better opportunities where I could see myself being a valued, long-term collaborator.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about about your experience. What do you know about SOM and made you interested in applying to SOM?

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Application

I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Interview

Really awkward. Went through two interviews both of which followed the same script. I was asked "tell me about yourself," of which I did. There were no follow-up questions except whether I had any questions for them. It was hard to hold a conversation.

Interview Questions
  • "Tell me about yourself" and "Do you have any questions for us?"
Viewing 1 - 10 of 156 Interviews

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill as 58.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.86 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Junior Architect and Intern rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Architectural Designer and Architectural Professional roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill takes an average of 28 days when considering 147 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Junior Architect had the quickest hiring process (on average 16 days), whereas Internship roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 62 days).

Common stages of the interview process at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill according to 147 Glassdoor interviews include:

Group Panel Interview: 27.59%