Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.9

Architectural Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. The process started with a brief phone call with the recruiter describing the position. Next was an interview with a senior designer and a technical director in the office. The interview was casual, looking through my work samples and talking about the direction of the firm. I was contacted 3 days later with an offer.

Structural Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview was with two different people, and was conducted separately in the office in the downtown office in chicago. As a new graduate, I was interviewing for an entry level position

Structural Engineer (Level C) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.

Interview

I had one 40-minute interview and then a 15-minute office tour. They talked a lot about the work they do at SOM and their internship program, and then asked me some general questions about why I was pursuing structural engineering, what I liked to do in structural engineering, and what I thought I was good at.

Junior Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

it was a pretty quick process to hire a position that I applied. Even though the entire interview seems easy and finding a proper candidate was urgent need, I felt that they were really trying to find people carefully.

Structural Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview is for a summer structural internship position in SOM's LA office. The structural leader in the SF office talked with me about my background and career interests while the structural leaders of LA office was on the phone. Then, they introduced me about the internship program and what to expect. The whole interview process was very relaxing and staffs there are very kind.

Interview Questions

• If you are going to put structural elements in this project (one of my architectural design projects), what would you do?   Answer Question

Junior Urban Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I got the talk with SOM during GSAPP career fair. They looked for urban design student, but they were very careful about hiring anyone. The Urban Design office in New York has only 4 people, but the scale of SA and Chicago are larger.

Interview Questions

• Since most of my projects are team work, they asked my role in the cooperation.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.

Interview

Everything went really well with the accounting manager and HR in both the first interview and second interview. It went down hill when the managing partner step in, she wanted a very experienced senior accountant to fill the role, it is NOT what the HR and the accounting manager had been asking for. Basically it's a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Do you have global budgeting experience?   1 Answer

Structural Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.

Interview

The interview took about one hour, and it went well for most of the time. They focus on the resume of you and some project experience, as well as some courses you took.

IT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.

Interview

Phone call and then face to face with managers and others.
    I think when you have a team interviewing you, makes sense that you all contribute and ask the candidate questions.

Architectural Designer Interview

Interview

Was recommended by a friend who told me they were looking for candidates to apply. Was hoping that would be an in to the company, doesn't seem to have turned out that way.