Slalom Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 2, 2017

38 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

First I had a 30 minute phone call with the recruiter. Then she set up a meeting for 2 days later with the Operations team.

On the day of my interview I had 30 minutes with the OA, an hour with the OM Cross- Market , and an hour with the Chicago OM. All three ladies were super nice , friendly and were easily to talk to. They asked me questions about myself and what I like to do when I am not at work as well as the standard interview questions. Even though I knew it was a 2 and a half hour interview process, I never really noticed the time at all. They really made you feel comfortable in the room.

After the interview with the OP she told me that, the recruiter I had spoken to on the phone, would be in touch. However, she did not give me a time frame as to when she would be in touch. I sent a follow up email the next week, never received a response. Knowing they had many interviews going on for multiple positions, and that they were having their employee and family event that weekend. I thought nothing of it, since I knew they were busy. So I sent another follow up email the next week and finally got a response, that they enjoyed meeting me but ultimately they went with another candidate. Since discovering that they didnt even check my references I was a little disappointed that it took them 2 weeks to tell me that they were going with someone else. Especially since I could have taken another opportunity, which I ended up missing out on, because I was waiting for an answer from them.

Interview Questions

• What interests you about working here?   1 Answer

Oct 2, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

We appreciate you sharing a review of your experience in the recruiting process with Slalom. We're happy to hear the conversations were pleasant, comfortable and that the time went by quickly. It... More

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

I had a wonderful interview experience with Slalom. I was contacted about an opportunity via LinkedIn from the Recruiting/HR team. I had a phone interview and then an in-person interview with the HR team, before moving forward with the next round.

I interviewed one day with a Solution Principal, followed by another visit to interview with both a Practice Area Leader (PAL) and a Director (PAD). The PAL interview dug deep into my functional expertise, what I had done and could bring to Slalom, how I handled certain client situations and challenges, etc. The other interview was more fit-based, and very conversational with very few typical interview questions.

After this, the team wanted to move forward with an offer, but I delayed it given an upcoming paternity leave my then-current employer. The Slalom team was very generous, and told me to come back a few months later when I was ready to consider joining them.

We picked the conversation back up almost 5 months later. I met with a couple other leaders (almost like re-interviewing again), but it was nothing rigorous. If anything, it was helpful for me to re-connect and confirm that I was still interested in joining the firm.

Within a day or two, I had an offer from HR and we closed the deal.

Re: Timing - the first round was in March, and probably took 4 weeks total to go from phone interview to potential offer. The second time around in August, the process took only ~2 weeks since I had already interviewed previously.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slalom (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview was divided into 2 sections 45 minutes each, first part is technical questions and second part is job related experience and a bit of technical background. Nothing special, there were two software engineers at both stages asking those questions. Any person with average knowledge of programming would answer all the questions.

Interview Questions

• Find duplicates in two arrays and show them in the output.   1 Answer
    • Modeling the database. I was given a case with building an app for school and asked to model the tables with all mappings and keys.   1 Answer
    • Previous experience at the company.   1 Answer
    • How can you satisfy the customer if they offer you not efficient way of building a software, but you know this is wrong and they keep insisting on it.   1 Answer

May 1, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to interview with Slalom and leave a review of your experience here. We value your feedback as it helps us with our efforts to continuously improve.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Slalom (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

From the initial call with the recruiter to the final interview with the hiring manager, everyone was very informative of Slalom and the expectations of the role I was in contention for on the team.

Interview Questions

• Very conversational interview   1 Answer

Aug 15, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking a minute to leave a review of your experience interviewing with Slalom. We're happy to hear expectations were clear and the meetings were informative. We appreciate your... More

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First phone interview, then an HR on-site interview, then a set of three On-site interviews. The last set of on site interviews are rapid fire so you'll be talking for half an hour.

Talk specifically about what you want to do in the future and what you like doing.

Interview Questions

Slalom Response

Mar 12, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for interviewing with Slalom and for leaving your feedback here. We're glad your experience was positive. Though it doesn't look like the timing was right for you to choose Slalom at the... More

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Slalom (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

First met with HR or they have a special name for hiring assistants. But it is a glorified hiring recruiter. Very nice and they set an image of really helping and guiding you through the process. Getting to know you etc.

They tag team the interview. I met with the hiring manager next and he seem pretty easy going. We went over basic sales practices and my background

Lastly I met with someone in role. We seemed to really gel and exchange contact information at her request for any follow ups etc. We were to have a follow up call regardless of outcome etc.

They then review and chat internally and tell you the next steps in the process.

After that it was the standard, 'thank you for playing' follow up. They really valued my skills but it was not right for them at the moment, keep it on file etc.

In short, after a very seemingly personable process they went cold and dry. I knew a lot about them and their past engagements good and bad. Maybe too much. They proved to be another would be employer that tries to act a part but proved to be disingenuous. I would not work for them based on this experience but there is good and bad in every company. If you are going to play the character fit, touchy feel interview, see it through to the end with at least a little bit of caring feedback to show it was genuine in nature.

Interview Questions

• If you saw one of your co-workers struggling how would you help him/her out?   Answer Question

Oct 2, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for your feedback. It is important that our candidates have a positive experience in the process, start to finish, regardless of the outcome. We regret to hear that this was not the case... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Slalom (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Standard software engineer oriented interview process. First interview was basic phone interview with an hr recruiter, the meet and greet type thing asking about my background and basic projects that I've done. The second interview was another phone interview, but it was a technical screen with a software developer at the company. This focused heavily on OOP, and about some web development things. The last interview was an in person interview with the team. I think there were various people/developers who interviewed me. The first half focused on what I knew and if I could demonstrate that on a whiteboard. The second half was company culture oriented. Overall a decent experience. The people at this company were very friendly. My one complaint was that this process took about 10 weeks from my initial contact with a recruiter. Kind of a long time to find out the result and in the end, for me at least, I didn't get a position. It was especially saddening that the employer put in the effort to set up a time with me to call about the result, only to find out that I was not chosen for the position.

Interview Questions

• What's an interface? (OOP stuff)
      How do you create such and such class, etc? (Demonstrate if you can code, etc)
      Describe the structure of a project you have done. (Whiteboard)   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

There where three interviews
    Two phone interviews one was personal getting to know me, the second one was technical and asking programming questions.
    And one in person. The interview in person was really friendly, I really like the people there. They bring you into the office and you get to talk to the office staff and get interviewed by some higher up staff

Interview Questions

• Questions on sql and software design   1 Answer

Negotiation

I have notl negotiated

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Slalom (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

Interview was typical, questions on warehousing etc. asked how i provide solutions, how i come up with them and performance tune them also. I was also asked about my personal interests and how i would like to grow and learn with the ever changing landscape of the tech world

Business Development Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Slalom (Chicago, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

First they have you speak with a talent management agent, then the hiring manager and then a potential peer. Many of the questions are "touchy feely" about you and your past as they try and find a 'fit'. They make it seem like you are having an intervention. Beware of this tactic and stay true to positive and constructive answers.
    They will then use it against you and shut the door after they say you are a 'great fit'.

Later too many warning flags went off. As I had several offers I declined to proceed.

Interview Questions

• We are really about finding the right 'fit' and want you to know that all of us have been through difficult times. What is it about your last company that makes you want to leave.   1 Answer