Slalom Consulting Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Slalom Consulting Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2017

2.8

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

It was a drawn out, and generally disorganized process plagued by last-minute interview requests and people showing up late for the scheduled appointments. Everyone seemed knowledgeable and friendly, but the process could be streamlined. There seemed to be some lack of clearly-defined objectives internally leading to issues here.

A word to the company: anything more than three interviews is normally seen as a death knell to the candidate's prospects. It reflects poorly on you. You seem like a good company; please refine this for the interviewee's sake, and yours.

Interview Questions

Slalom Consulting Response

Mar 12, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for this feedback. We do value multiple conversations and hope that it gives our candidates the chance to treat the interview as mutual, such that you have the chance to get to know as ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Slalom Consulting

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was referred to the position from an internal employee. I was contacted the next day by a recruiter to set up a coffee meeting. After meeting with the recruiter, I had a 30 minute in-person interview with a member of the team I would be joining. The final round of interviews was with my would-be manager and two members of the leadership team. The whole process took 3 weeks. The communication was great with the recruiting team and I had all the information I needed along the way.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when the requirements of a project shifted and how you managed the change.   Answer Question

Mar 12, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

We appreciate you taking some time to leave a review of your experience interviewing with Slalom. As we strive to give all candidates a positive experience, we're so pleased to hear you felt well ... More

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

I had three interviews with Slalom. The first was supposed to be a "get to know you" over coffee. The coffee never materialized and I was interviewed vigorously by Slalom's recruiter. While a little unexpected, it was a reasonable interview that was fair to me. The recruiter was informal, direct, and polite. He was straightforward about the goals of Slalom and their organization and did not attempt to ask me any questions that were coy or obnoxious.
    The second interview was with one of the Client Service Partners who spent much of the hour sharing with me why Slalom is good to work for and the ethos that attracted her to the firm. She and I knew of one another because of our personal networks but had not worked together directly. I was given ample opportunities to ask questions and had the beginnings of a strategy conversation with regard to approaching a specific market segment.
    The third interview felt like a formal interview in a way that the first two did not. I met with one of the consultant managers and we discussed work style, personality, examples of success, maturity in failure, learning, etc... This was much more of what I was expecting at the first interview, an invitation to which I would have expected after the first "meet and greet." I am of the suspicion that they had already determined that I was a sufficiently good fit for the organization after the first interview and that the following two interviews were to determine whose team I would end up on.
    The recruiter still owes me a cup of coffee but this was among the better interviewing experiences I've had. It was clear about 20 minutes into the first interview that I'd probably be a good fit at Slalom.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly memorable or challenging was asked.   1 Answer

Jan 29, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback here. We're pleased to hear your eperience interviewing with Slalom was positive and ranked highly for you. Your input will help us take stock ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was referred to Slalom by a friend of mine who recommended the company very highly. From start to finish, I was very impressed with the quality of communication. The HR manager I worked with was professional, polite, and did an outstanding job representing the company.

I had three sets of interviews with consultants at the firm. Each of the interviewers had taken the time to review my application materials beforehand, and asked me some very good questions about what transferable skills I had acquired at each of my previous jobs, what made me passionate about my work, my understanding of the services the company provided, etc. The consultants seemed very pleased with their experience at Slalom and gave me a very positive impression of the firm.

Interview Questions

Slalom Consulting Response

Mar 12, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

We appreciate you taking a moment to leave your feedback here. We're glad you came away from the process having felt positive about your experience and overall impression of Slalom. Thank you!

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Recruiter contact through LinkedIn. Recruiter initiated a 1:1 pre-screen interview to gauge background, compensation expectations, and interest in the firm. 1-2 technical questions related to consulting. After this pre-screen, a 'skills assessment' was conducted to evaluate capabilities and previous experience. Following the skills assessment, a final round interview was conducted that included interviews with three leaders from the firm that each function in a different capacity. (i.e. Practice leadership, Business Development, Manager, etc.)

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your background and give me a high level overview of the projects you've worked on in your previous job.   Answer Question

Jan 29, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your interview experience here. We're pleased to know you had a positive experience and congratulate you on your offer and decision to join Slalom! ... More

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter about a travel position, but was not interested in traveling. The recruiting team at Slalom was fantastic though, and when I said I would be willing to talk to local teams if positions were available, they quickly transferred me to the right people and set something up. From there I went through a series of informal chats (2) followed by an afternoon of formal interviews (3) and then a follow-up afternoon of chats that seemed somewhere in-between formal and informal (2, they were with more senior folks). Overall the process was a bit drawn out, but that fit my schedule perfectly and I know it was due to other reasonable factors as well (holidays, the local team wasn't necessarily looking for someone actively at that time). The interviews were laid back, fun, and overall pretty easy, though I think that was mostly due to the role being a really good fit for me (I was already doing a lot of the same things at another company). Overall great experience and looking forward to working at Slalom!

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would approach a conversation with a client who has a limited budget, but is interested in the Experience Marketing features that Sitecore offers and wants to try them out.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about how you handle conflict with a client on a project.   Answer Question

Jan 29, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your interview experience with Slalom. We're so pleased to hear that overall you had a positive experience in the recruiting process. While there ... More

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Phoenix, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

Very conversational and discussion based. Contacted by recruiter and they let me drive the level of engagement. The process was thoughtful and vetting - they care a lot about culture fit. I enjoyed meeting everyone and having meaningful discussions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a hard situation with a client from a project management perspective. How do you manage change during a project? What is your leadership style? How do you like to be led?   Answer Question

Feb 20, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of your experience interviewing with Slalom. We're happy to hear you found the interactions meaningful and were able to drive to the level of ... More

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Process was extended due to the company being a start up and waiting to hire as business came in the door. Interviewed with several people. Main focus was to make sure of a mutual cultural fit. Skills/Experience was a close second. Recruiter kept me in the loop through the extended process and was always upfront and honest.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to become a consultant?   1 Answer

Dec 12, 2016 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thanks for taking a minute to leave a review here. We're glad you stuck with us through the opening of a new market and made the decision to join Slalom. We hope you have as positive experience as ... More

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Denver, CO).

Interview

My process was long, but ultimately fruitful. The time it took for me is atypical, but gives a lot of insight into how the process can work well and work poorly. I've separated it into sections to try to combat the wall of text.

THE SET UP

I tried the in online portal for an information request in September 2015 and was shut down almost immediately with kind rejection email. Since Slalom’s system isn’t Taleo based, I decided to try the employee recommendation route with a former classmate of mine and moved to an initial phone screening, then to a skills interview. Both were pleasant, but there was no demand for my skills at the time (demand in Q4 can be low, and heavily influences hiring decisions, as is the industry). This time frame was about 6 weeks from employee recommendation to decision.

Two weeks later, I randomly connected with Slalom Managing Director at a bar watching a football game. Over the next several weeks, we had informal, informational interviews and he introduced me to other contacts within the firm, who continued to tell me more about why they chose Slalom. After these talks and the suggested reading of “Getting Naked,” by Patrick Lencioni, I asked how I could give Slalom another shot. This ultimately lead to another recommendation and the start of a renewed recruiting cycle which began in April 2016.

THE PROCESS

Fortunately, my skills were in demand and I progressed through several in person interviews over the next 2 months—recruiter, consultant lead, client lead, practice lead, and managing director. An important note: the time frame was a bit drawn out to accommodate my work travel schedule at the time.

As with many others, my one on one with the recruiter took place at a coffee shop. It was a nice change to meet in person and I got to learn more about Slalom’s structure—seeing an overview of the people I was to meet in subsequent interviews.

My next interview was at a local bar after work—I grabbed a beer with one of the lead consultants, and we ended up talking for two and a half hours. Plenty of hard questions and skill scenarios, but a great mood. I walked out with a smile on my face, genuinely enjoying my time.

My client lead interview was much more challenging, but no less pleasant. We talked about ethics, challenging experiences, and how to best present hard information to clients. The interview was intense, but I walked out with a card and an offer for mentorship.

I would like to say that my practice lead interview went smoothly, it didn’t, but it was still great. Stuck in behind a major accident on the highway, I had left 90 minutes early to avoid being late—no such luck. I frantically called the office and sent panicked emails in deadlocked traffic over the lunch hour explaining my situation. Eventually I got a hold of my recruiter who explained the situation to the practice lead. I was 45 minutes late, and yet we still met. At the time, I was convinced of my impending doom, but the lead treated me with understanding and focused on my skills and the vision of the practice. The feeling of doom departed as I left the office.

A week after, I received a call about interviewing with a Managing Director. This may be one of my favorite interviews ever. The questions that were asked were candid, and the vision that was communicated got me actually pumped up. At the end I was told I would receive an offer—I considered accepting without knowing the details.

THE GOOD

The people. The people are incredible. I have never interviewed with people that I hoped to be friends with. Not only were they great, but their passion was contagious. I wanted to learn how to be like that and work with them. I now do—it’s better than I imagined.

THE BAD (more like the “EH”)

There wasn’t a good overview of the progression through the process. Also, a more personal process with recruiters can mean longer response times. Interviewing can be stressful, and my anxiety was on fleek not knowing what was coming next.

THE UGLY

Personal preference here: I expected the offer to be more prompt. Coming out of my last interview, I would have worked for half what I was offered, but nothing was put on the table. The very next day, a competitor did an interview and had an offer prepared—the timing made me think. Ultimately, Slalom came back with an offer about 10 days later, but the delay definitely increased the stress level. This may be due to HR, as recruiters are NOT HR, but was the worst part of the process.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you solved a complex client problem?
      Tell me specifically, what would you do if you found something wrong in your contract or at a client?
      How have you failed?
      What about your work makes you passionate?
      Which of your accomplishments are you most proud of?
      If you were to join Slalom, how could we keep you?
      What do you love?
      Answer Question

Nov 7, 2016 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this detailed and informative feedback on our interview process. Though the process was lengthy in your case, it is great to hear that we had the ... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

Interview

Interview rounds can vary.. usually 3-5 rounds starting with a recruiter screen, then 1st round a 1:1 usually with 1 or 2 people, if you clear, then an onsite with 5 or more people meeting to interview individually, once cleared, an offer is provided, interview process time can adjust depending on your and interviewer availability, usually done pretty quickly,

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions depending on the kind of role you apply, lots of situation type questions and tell me about a time you did....   Answer Question

Nov 21, 2016 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback here. We're excited you've accepted your offer to join us and hope you have an equally positive experience working with Slalom.