Slalom Interview Questions in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Interviews at Slalom

Sort:

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Portland, OR) in June 2018.

Interview

Three interviews. The first two were more or less the standard getting to know if you would be a good fit and asking questions about your background and resume. The last interview was a technical interview where they wanted to see what you could glean from a data set.

Interview Questions

• If you are given an incomplete data set, how do you make recommendations going forward knowing the data is not all there.   Answer Question

Sep 14, 2018 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thanks for taking a minute to share a review of your experience interviewing with Slalom. We're happy to see your experience and the outcome were both positive! Congratulations on the offer and... More

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Portland, OR) in July 2018.

Interview

Best interview process I have ever been in!

Everyone I met was genuine and interested in what I have done in career so far. I could tell that they loved working at Slalom which made me want to work there as well. I applied online and got an email a few days later to meet for coffee with members of the recruiting team. I then got moved to the next round of interviews where I got a phone call from a consultant and we went over my resume as well as asking me some behavioral interview questions. The final round I was brought into the office for a technical interview which was a data / SQL test in a case format.

Overall, the experience was amazing and I'm happy to say that I have joined the Slalom team!

Interview Questions

Slalom Response

Sep 17, 2018 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Wow! It's wonderful to see that your experience interviewing with Slalom was the best you've ever experienced - thank you for the great feedback! We're so happy to have you on the team!... More

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Portland, OR) in September 2014.

Interview

The process took a few weeks, one person after the next. When I finally did interview, they either wanted to ask very technical questions that had you had no way to get 100% right, or questions about my personal life and past work history....really. I was surprised by the fact the people I interviewed were suppose to be great subject matter experts, but when I asked questions back I got theory or text book comments. Was confused on if they were trying to be vague or did not know there own roles.

Interview Questions

• We like to promote philanthropy in our community, do you have any one group you would be interested in supporting?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Portland, OR) in May 2013.

Interview

Consisted of:
    1. an initial recruiter screening
    2. HR interview
    3. principal interview
    4, 5. interview with two would-be peers
    6. interview with general manager

Interview 1 was fine - nothing bad, nothing notable. Very friendly and approachable recruiter.

Interview 2 was also fine - decent but basic questions about career plan, applicable experience, cultural fit.

Interview 3 - would have been expected if I were fresh out of college applying for a grunt job at Accenture instead of a professional with 20+ years of management consulting experience. Basically a series of IQ tests and how well I perform under pressure. Zero questions about the value I've brought to my projects and the experience I would bring to the company.

Interview 4 - interviewer was arrogant and told me I'd be bored at this job.

Interview 5 - great! Finally someone I'd want to work with.

Interview 6 - more psycho/intellect tests and some stump the chump. Again, no expressed interest in the value I have provided and my capabilities.

Interview Questions

• An ill-administered, informal DISC evaluation with questions leading toward a seemingly anticipated profile result of a S.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Slalom (Portland, OR) in September 2015.

Interview

I got acquainted with Slalom about a year before I interviewed, via a series of informational interviews that culminated with meeting the recruiter. My formal interview consisted of three (back-to-back) 1-hour meetings with individuals in the practice I was interviewing with: a consultant manager/ solution principal, a client service partner and the head of the practice area. My interviewers conferred with each other between meetings and the offer was made by the recruiter directly following the last meeting.

Interview Questions

• The interview was informal and conversational. Questions were mostly situational: describe how you handled a difficult project situation, describe how you handled a difficult client. etc. Because I came from a non-traditional background, I was also asked about my approach to day-to-day project management tasks.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Slalom (Portland, OR) in March 2017.

Interview

Typical stuff. Send in a resume and if you're worthy of our time, we will respond.

To my surprise, however, Slalom's Talent Manager did respond quickly. Doing so within 8 hours of receiving my online application. Which says something about their positive attitude, and implies to the candidate they are interested in at least talking to you.

After they reviewed my CV and 30 years of operations experience and deliverables as an interim COO ––which includes strategy deployment, lean sigma, lean leadership, and lean manufacturing implementation, the Talent Manager was eager to set up an interview.

We did. And after our mutually busy schedules settled down three weeks later, we finally got time to chat.

The conversation went well, with questions like, "tell us about yourself and experience" dotting the landscape. (I suppose the 40 or so published articles I've written for major magazines on operations, strategy, and how to improve employee engagement, would have also told the recruiters something about me too, but why do your homework?)

The easy going pair of recruiters asked about my experience consulting for and running and selling companies––since I've done them all.

I'm on my own payroll, health, dental, disability, and 401(k), and so far––knock on wood, throughout my 52 years on planet earth, haven't been without management consulting work long enough to ever be on food stamps, unemployment, or begging for someone else's money. And my 4 kids all have good jobs and no college loans. In other words, Slalom, you could have had my mind and my heart for free, your recruiters and local management team apparently missed that.

So what happened?

Two days after the phone interview process, and after specifically telling me I had all the qualifications they were looking for and they had already "Checked all the qualifications boxes during the initial interview process"––matching my qualifications against their recruiting needs, all my questions about our future together were about to be answered.

They wanted a divorce. I thought they were looking for marriage. I had already bought the ring, found a place to propose, and was working on the wedding location. Slalom's management team was calling lawyers to figure out how to divide up the property.

In an email they said, "HEY, WE'RE SORRY, BUT WE DON'T HAVE ANY WORK THAT FITS YOUR SKILL-SET."

No surprise as it relates to the email, already packed neatly in dry ice.

After all, who has time to pick up the phone and talk today, when you can simply avoid the hard part, like speaking to another human you are about to reject.

I know. That I-Phone 6S is heavy. Especially, to pick it up, talk to another human about what went wrong, then figure out if there was anything else either party perhaps misunderstood about the other.

Did I say Slalom's rejection letter was packed neatly in dry ice?

Wow, what a chronic misunderstanding––a giant Charlie Foxtrot on my part. Especially since the candidate qualifications indicated as highly desirable on Slalom's website, were qualifications I thought––along with the hundreds of consulting customers I've consulted for over 30 years–– I already had.

What I really believe happened at Portland's Slalom office is the recruiters and their team were searching out candidates to check "THEIR BOXES" to meet their RECRUITING QUOTAS. They never had any real intention of finding a candidate for the type of work I clearly have the experience to bring to the table. I also believe they never have done the type of Operations and Strategy work in Portland they claim to have roles––roles which need to be filled immediately.

So here is a word to the wise within the power structures at Slalom's corporate office: "If you don't have the work, don't waste our time as recruits by telling us you do." And when you need us, talk to your management team and local stakeholders BEFORE you put out your "help wanted" sign. That would be a big improvement, and far less intellectually dishonest than taking a candidate through a process and wasting their time.

The best time to look for a job is when you don't need one. Which makes having your voice heard a lot easier. Fortunately for me, my own consulting business does fine and my family eats and sleeps well already. So I have no problems saying it like it is so others can understand my experience dealing with Slalom's recruiting process.

Retribution is not something that keeps me up at night and the powers to be at Slalom can gladly call me up anytime. It's not hard to figure out who I am when you go through your stacks of CV's.

I know this could be a great place to work, but for now, however, the recruiting process needs significant refinement and ironically, a skill that I do have: Continuous improvement and Kaizen leader.

Interview Questions

• What was I looking to accomplish for Slalom?   1 Answer

Mar 27, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review of your experience in the recruiting process with Slalom. We strive to give every candidate a positive experience, regardless of the outcome... More

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Portland, OR) in January 2017.

Interview

The hiring process was simple and quick. I had my first meeting with the recruiter from Slalom and after that progressed to the next stage of individual interviews with four members of the Portland team. It was on-site at the Slalom office and I had some time to spend with each. I got a great idea of what the company culture was like, expectations of the role and why each person joined and loves the company. After my interview was complete, I was told they would be in touch with their decision.

Interview Questions

• What about the company makes you want to work here versus another company?   Answer Question

Feb 20, 2017 – National Talent Acquisition Director

We appreciate you sharing this review of your experience in the interview process with Slalom. Because it is so important that the interview is mutual, we're always pleased to hear when candidates... More

Solution Principal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Portland, OR) in July 2018.

Interview

Interview process was a good mix between formal and informal. As I was a passive candidate, we found ourselves in situations where we had less time than ideal. In these cases the hiring manager reached out to follow-up with a casual beer and conversation.

It became clear to me that they didn't have a clear vision for the future of the team that I was joining, but I enjoy that kind of ambiguity, and look forward to helping form that vision. If ambiguity of role is concerning, I would strong re-consider. If you enjoy living in that zone, then this place will be a great fit!

The final interview was long, but fun. I never thought I would say that about an interview, but I genuinely mean it. The case is challenging, and the interviewers had insightful and thoughtful questions. I enjoyed the process very much.

Interview Questions

Slalom Response

Sep 24, 2018 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for this feedback. Sometimes our approach to recruiting involves a bit of role-crafting in partnership with our candidates, and we're happy to see you enjoyed that white space in the... More

Organizational Effectiveness Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Portland, OR).

Interview

An overall positive experience, and timely. I got through the process in less than 2 weeks, and every one I interacted with was very professional. The process involved 2-3 in-person interviews. I was happy that the interview was two-sided, with them also providing me an opportunity to learn about Slalom to ensure it was a good fit on both sides.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a challenge and success in a recent project experience.   Answer Question

Organizational Effectiveness Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Slalom (Portland, OR) in December 2017.

Interview

I had a very positive interview process from start to finish! I received prompt and clear communication from the recruiting team, as well as thorough follow up after each interview step. The team was extremely effective at managing expectations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience, what has brought you to this point?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in consulting, interested in joining Slalom?   Answer Question
    • Scenario-based questions: present information and ask you how you would respond.   Answer Question