Slalom Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Slalom Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Slalom

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slalom in March 2015.

Interview

The process was very smooth and the HR person of contact was extremely nice. The interviews consisted of a regular HR interview and then a Skype interview. They both weren't to difficult but they really check to see if you fit the culture they have in Slalom.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in this position? Why did you apply here?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Slalom

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom in April 2015.

Interview

Short interview w/HR, 2 technical interviews w/o many actually coding questions. Told me over and over than I'd hear back whether or not I got a job, pushing the date back each time. In the end I heard nothing after invested quite a bit of time.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember specifics, mostly just asking about my experience   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom in March 2015.

Interview

Very straight forward process. I was referred by an existing employee and then had a phone screen with a recruiter (non-technical, this was to check for culture fit). From there I had a tech phone screen with a solution architect where I was asked about basic programming concepts, databases, web technologies, and other high level stuff that is pretty standard if you have ever done web development. I then had a 1 hour on site interview with a solution architect which consisted of about 40 minutes of him asking me specific questions about languages I knew and 20 minutes of me showing him things I had built before ( I brought a tablet with).

That was on a Friday and then on Monday morning I received a call back to schedule another onsite interview, which we scheduled for Friday. This one consisted of 2 one hour interviews. The first was with the manager of the team I would be joining and we talked about the web, and I was asked to do some design tasks. The second was with a solution architect and we talked more about my resume and about things like REST. Surprisingly I was not asked any Algorithm questions during the entire interview process. They seemed more interested in my level of understanding of the day to day of web development.

I got a call back Monday morning saying that my recruiter wanted to meet to discuss an offer. The offer was competitive, but I asked for more $ just to test the waters and they ended up saying no to the additional $, which is fine since I was happy with the initial offer.

Interview Questions

• Database design, how the web works, specific questions about features of languages I that I said knew. We also walked through my resume and talked about the various technologies I said I was familiar with. Nothing hard or out of the ordinary -- just make sure you know anything that you put on your resume   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via email by a recruiter a week after applying, and had a very informal phone chat with the recruiter for about 45 minutes a week after that, mostly informational, and the recruiter trying to sell the company to me. Then had a 30 minute technical screen with a Solution Architect (basically their equivalent of a Lead Software Engineer). This involved verbally answering technical questions across the board from algorithms to web design. I was told by him at the end of the call that they'd be moving forward with the process. I was then invited on-site for two 1-hour interviews with first my future boss, a Solution Architect, and then a higher up manager which consisted of whiteboarding with the former, and informational/behavioral with the latter. I was contacted 3 days after by the recruiter and offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Technical whiteboarding covering all the bases: algorithms, OO, and database design/queries.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Boston, MA).

Interview

I had a very positive interview process. There were four rounds of interviews: an initial discussion with the recruiter, a technical phone screen with an architect, an on-site technical interview, and a final Skype meeting. Everyone I spoke to was friendly and seemed genuinely excited about the company. The recruiter was quick to respond with feedback on my interviews, and was able to accommodate my schedule.

Interview Questions

• FizzBuzz, OOP concepts, basic database design, RESTful web service concepts   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Boston, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

The hiring process started with meeting a recruiter, where they explained about Slalom and it's culture. I indicated that I was interested in moving forward with the process, so technical screening phone call was set up with one of the Solution Architects. This screening covered knowledge on a number of technical skills and concepts. The day after the screening call, the recruiter contacted me via email to set up an on-site interview. This on-site consisted of 3 one-on-one sessions: a technical interview, a 2 personal interviews. Throughout the process both the recruiter and the interviewers were professional, helpful and accommodating to my schedule.

Interview Questions

• A whiteboard-based exercise on designing/modeling the data and middle-tier components of a hypothetical web application.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I received an email from one of their recruiters who offered to meet with me at a Starbucks and discuss Slalom. After I responded, we met up and he told me about the company and explained the benefits of working there; essentially selling the company. He asked if I was interested in going forward with the process and I said yes.

I received a technical screening phone call and asked about a wide range of topics including OOP, Web Services, Databases, Web Design, and a few data structures (see questions below). It was a relaxed interview and he ended it by asking if I had any questions so I asked him about company culture and his day-to-day job.

The recruiter that I spoke with earlier told me that they liked my performance in the technical screening and wanted to schedule interviews with two manager type positions. There were a few scheduling conflicts that occurred due to miscommunication between the Seattle office and the Orange County office but they were very apologetic and professional and asked when/where I could meet them. I met with one of the manager type positions at a restaurant and had another phone call with the other where one was focused on company fit and my personal motivations as a programmer and the other asked similar questions with a few consultant questions.

I received another email from the recruiter saying that they both liked me and they wanted me to meet with their head manager as a final interview. I met with him and had a relaxed discussion about my motivations and he explained what kind of people work and Slalom and told me about the expectations that I should have. The next day I received a call from the recruiter and he asked to meet with me to discuss an offer. The whole process took about a month from initial contact to signing the offer letter.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Boston, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

Overall, the entire process was pretty seamless, probably the most painless interview I've gone through out of 25+. I was contacted within a day or two after submitting my resume on their website. The first interview was extremely casual -- quick chat over coffee, primarily to make sure the company and I were on the same page concerning company culture.

I think the day after, I got to schedule a phone screening for a basic skills/concepts check with one of the engineers from HQ.

Not sure how long afterwards, I was invited for an on-site interview with a few of the higher-ups. The first was a typical whiteboard/conversational interview with algorithms/web design/db. The rest were pretty much just to see if I would get along with who would later be my equivalent of "bosses" and a chance to ask any other questions I had.

The whole thing was done pretty quickly, I'm sure it could have all happened within a week-week.5, I just happened to schedule my interviews for the later dates available. I'm not sure if the company hires recruiters of a particular caliber or maybe the Boston recruiter I had was especially awesome. Either way, everyone (roughly 5 people) involved in the interview process was timely, friendly, and maintained professionalism without seeming cold.

Interview Questions

• If a customer calls that a website is down, what are the steps you would go through to fix it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not really a chance for negotiation, the salary was written into the offer. However, they pay a (sizable) variable bonus based on performance and company growth at the end of the year.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Had a phone screening with a National recruiter, who reached out to me via LinkedIn. After our conversation, they put me in contact with a recruiter from the Slalom SoCal office. After that had a couple in person interviews, as well as a few phone interviews. Met with the MD for custom development/tech after those interviews, and had an offer extended. All in all, it was a pretty great experience.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the projects you've worked on in the past. Various questions about C#/.NET. Various questions over Web App development.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Slalom (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

This interview process has been agonizingly slow and frustrating. It started close to 3 months ago and is still not done. But they have been so terrible about communicating any feedback that I was compelled to write a review. In three months all they could manage to do was two phone interviews. The recruiter contacted me three months ago.

Here is the timeline:

This was for a position in their Boston office. The recruiter calls me and sets up a phone screen with one of their solution architects (SA). We agree on a time. However, the SA calls me on the wrong day. I couldn't answer the phone call, since I was at work. I reach out to the recruiter and she says she accidentally messed up the day of the interview. No big deal. The SA calls me again on the correct day and we speak for about 45 minutes. The call goes well. A week later the recruiter emails me and says that the first phone interview went well and they would like for me to visit their office and asks for days and times that might work for me the following week. I do as asked and email her a few days and times. I don't hear anything from her for a good 10 days. Then she emails me and says that they want to do another phone screen because apparently everyone is on vacation and they can't do an office visit. I have never had someone invite me for an onsite and then cancel it. Again, stuff happens so it's okay. I email her times for the second phone screen. Days go by and I don't hear anything from the recruiter again. I email her and she says she is working on it. A month goes by since my first phone interview and now I'm finally scheduled a second phone interview. The interviewer calls, we speak and the call goes well. Another couple weeks pass before I hear from the recruiter. They want me to visit their office for an onsite interview. She asks for times that I can visit the following week. I give her a few times. I don't hear anything until the middle of the following week despite my attempts to email her to confirm the date. Then she emails me on Wednesday of the following week saying people are on vacation and she is working on scheduling an onsite visit. And now it's Tuesday of this week and I was supposed to visit them last week. These people need to understand that most interview candidates are also working full-time. You can't let a candidate know on Thursday if you schedule an onsite interview on Friday. If you decide to invite someone for an onsite visit then stick with your decision. And how many of your employees are on vacation at a time? Do you not check with the team before you invite someone onsite (twice!) and then postpone it?