Sleep Train Mattress Centers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sleep Train Mattress Centers Interview Questions

Interviews at Sleep Train Mattress Centers

2.7

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sleep Train Mattress Centers in June 2010.

Interview

2 interviews. Situational questions: "what would you do..." or "describe how you handled..."
    Also, you may be asked to sell a pencil, paper clip, or some desk object to the interviewer so be prepared.

Interview Questions

• Sell these paper clips to me. Why should I use these instead of a stapler?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sleep Train Mattress Centers in May 2012.

Interview

I started out with a phone interview with one of the recruiters and was asked most of the standard questions but in a very lively and off hand way. In other words, she was actually asking the questions and not just reading off a script.

I was asked to come in where I had a 1 on 1 and again, was asked the standard series of questions but in a relaxed atmosphere. The interviewer was very proud of the business and worked pretty hard to "sell" that it was a quality place to work. She also made a statement to me that let me know that I probably wouldn't make it too far in the process by stating that they were looking for a particular type of person to fit in with a particular store.

The second interviewer didn't seem to be as happy to be there or may have been just beat to death doing interview after interview. He had me sell a pencil which actually stumped me because I normally present benefits and features for my product when selling and pencils are pretty limited. I spent way too much time trying to just think up some pencil benefits and lost my momentum.

Overall, a learning "adventure".

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sleep Train Mattress Centers.

Interview

Phone interview and a 1:1 interview with 2 training leaders
    Basic behavioral questions:
    Describe a situation where you provided exceptional costumer service.
    Tell me of a time when you disagreed your your supervisor, how did you handle the situation.

After receiving an offer other new hires and I started a 6 week training but they omitted to inform us that even though we received job offers and started the training that the job was not secure.

The training took 4 weeks was in a class setting from 10 AM to 6PM we had daily quizzes, so after we were done with the day's work we had to go home and study some more.
     We also had a midterm ( role play) and a final exam (written and role play) you have to get 90% to pass or you will get fired as it happened to a few people in my class.

In my opinion, not informing people that their job was not secure unless they pass all the quizzes and exams with a 90% or above was unethical. A lot of people passed up on other job opportunities thinking that this was a training like any other and that their job was secure only to get fired for getting less than 90% on the exam.

Also they always get more people than they really need. So keep that in mind while going through the training.

Interview Questions

• Expect to be asked to sell the interviewer an item, but there is a twist:
      I want to buy a pen but you only sell pencils, sell me a pencil.
      I want to buy a coke but you only have pepsi, sell me a pepsi.
      I want to buy staples but you only have paper clips, sell me a paper clip.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no salary negtiation.