Sling Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sling Media Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2017

3.1

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sling Media.

Interview

Go thought 4 different engineering interview, questions was correspond to seeking position. Every interview was done as whiteboard session, interviewers ask general questions about software development. Whiteboard was used to show how different architecture pattern can be applied in different situations.

Interview Questions

• - What is MVC?
      - What is Pattern.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sling Media (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with Sling media couple of years back. The recruiter scheduled a phone interview for me with their manager. I was waiting for him to call me at the scheduled time (for 30 minutes) and the call never came! The manager emailed me several hours later telling he had something come up. It was very unprofessional on their part... I agreed to reschedule. The manager didn't call the second time too! By then, I should have showed my middle finger to them, but I went ahead and accepted their third invitation for interview. This was not with that manager, but an architect.

This architect had a strong Indian accent, but since I am from India too, I could figure out his accent. He asked me about my projects. In one of my projects I had used MongoDB, so I explained him why we used MongoDB and solved the problem we were facing with our original MySQL solution. I told him we were very happy that we moved to Mongo and it has worked out great for us. Now this architect started asking me why we didn't use Cassandra. I told him the main reason for going with Mongo was that Mongo was easier to transition from relational world since it supported secondary indexes and some developers were already using Mongo for few other projects. I was not against Cassandra, but this architect started arguing that we should not have used Mongo and used Cassandra.

I thought that if I was able to solve the problem my company was facing with Mongo and everything is working great, then I do not personally see a problem with it. I would have even used MySQL itself, if the problem could have been solved effectively with MySQL. The ad-hoc query flexibility that comes with RDBMS is a huge plus point, as long as your data size is not too big. I see that many engineers think that using the latest or the coolest non-relational database is the coolest thing, without even having a full understanding of all the features relational databases offer. I believe this guy was one such person.

I am open to working with any technology, be it Microsoft, Apple, Google or whatever, as long as it solves my problem well. Having biases against technologies, or becoming too religious about one, are indications of closed minded thinking. You simply do not know what the other products offer.

I am glad that I didn't waste my time further by going for a personal interview.

Interview Questions

• Why did you not use Cassandra?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sling Media (Foster City, CA).

Interview

2 telco interviews; standard questions such as back ground, experience and why do you want to work for Sling. 1 one to one with more of the same questions and lastly the team interview, of the 3 people scheduled only 1 could make it. Some of the questions were "what did I know about streaming technologies? Did you go to school to learn or are you self taught? How would I handle working for a 25 year old manager at my age?"

Interview Questions

• How would you fit in with people 1/2 your age?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sling Media (American Fork, UT) in June 2014.

Interview

3 stage process - 1st a phone interview, then an in-person with 3-5 engineers. Asked to perform a couple of programming assignments on a whiteboard. Called back for another interview with a VP and CTO.

Interview Questions

• Perform string reversal without using any standard C library functions.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sling Media (Foster City, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was pretty straight forward. The only negative was how long it took to get an offer. After completing the interview I waited a few weeks before hearing back.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sling Media (Foster City, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

pretty easy, nice location, slightly disorganized, should have met more people to get true flavor of company, didnt adequately explain benefits package, process was pretty fast and painless, didnt explain the true nature of the parent company relationship, dress code very business casual, focus is on results not time spent in office, job description could have been more detailed

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here   1 Answer

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sling Media (Foster City, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

Two initial phone interviews with headquarter and local HR recruiters to begin the hiring process. After passing the initial phone screening, I was interviewed by 4 other people with challenging project questions. I was interviewed 3 times directly with my current boss and finally the IT director at headquarters. Sling almost flew me in for onsite interviews but the schedule and airfare price didn't work out. Fortunately I never had to be onsite for face to face interviews.

All interviewers are true professionals and they are very knowledgeable and polite. They wanted to ensure that I was ok working for a start up and fast-paced environment. They paid the most attention to ensure I could track tasks and have experience working with complex infrastructure and streaming technologies. The HR at headquarter helped to arranged the interviews and they were flexible. It was overall a pleasant phone interview experience.

The downside was it took time a long time to make the hiring decision. I have waited nearly 3 months to hear the decision. Maybe I had to relocate from the East Coast made them worry about my job interest.

Interview Questions

• Describe the projects that you have managed and what is the most difficult project?   1 Answer
    • How do you define project plan?   2 Answers

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate much about salary and package. After being interviewed for 3 months, I kinda of accepted whatever they offered. It was the job that I wanted anyway, so I didn't bargain much with the senior manager and HR.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sling Media (Foster City, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

4-5 Inteviews with technical guys to senior management. All are 1:1 interview. The last interview happens with HR. Quite technical interview with lot of stress on the domain knowledge and orientation towards the technology. Since company is coming up, it looks for good employees and measure them in all perspectives according to the need

Interview Questions

• Linux related questions and description of IPCs and their efficiency.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Sling Media (Foster City, CA) in July 2008.

Interview

It was 45 minutes for each person, 5 persons including the founders of the company.

Interview Questions

Pay was too low and the benefits not good enough.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sling Media (Bengaluru (India)).

Interview

Sling Media had come for campus recruitment in our college.
    First Round was an online test which had 2 sections aptitude and technical.
    Aptitude questions were quite simple.
    Technical Sections included questions from OS,Data structures,Digital logic and C snippets.
    After this the shortlisted people were called for interviews.
    Personal interview consisted of 3 rounds(2 technical and 1 HR).
    Technical interview had some questions regarding DSP ,about the projects and some programming questions.
    HR was just a formality and they selected almost everyone who had completed their HR round.

Interview Questions

• HR questioned about their products and salary structures that was told during the presentation.   1 Answer