Sling Media Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 24, 2017

2.8

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sling Media.

Interview

Go thought 4 different engineering interview, questions was correspond to seeking position. Every interview was done as whiteboard session, interviewers ask general questions about software development. Whiteboard was used to show how different architecture pattern can be applied in different situations.

Interview Questions

• - What is MVC?
    - What is Pattern.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Sling Media

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sling Media (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with Sling media couple of years back. The recruiter scheduled a phone interview for me with their manager. I was waiting for him to call me at the scheduled time (for 30 minutes) and the call never came! The manager emailed me several hours later telling he had something come up. It was very unprofessional on their part... I agreed to reschedule. The manager didn't call the second time too! By then, I should have showed my middle finger to them, but I went ahead and accepted their third invitation for interview. This was not with that manager, but an architect.

This architect had a strong Indian accent, but since I am from India too, I could figure out his accent. He asked me about my projects. In one of my projects I had used MongoDB, so I explained him why we used MongoDB and solved the problem we were facing with our original MySQL solution. I told him we were very happy that we moved to Mongo and it has worked out great for us. Now this architect started asking me why we didn't use Cassandra. I told him the main reason for going with Mongo was that Mongo was easier to transition from relational world since it supported secondary indexes and some developers were already using Mongo for few other projects. I was not against Cassandra, but this architect started arguing that we should not have used Mongo and used Cassandra.

I thought that if I was able to solve the problem my company was facing with Mongo and everything is working great, then I do not personally see a problem with it. I would have even used MySQL itself, if the problem could have been solved effectively with MySQL. The ad-hoc query flexibility that comes with RDBMS is a huge plus point, as long as your data size is not too big. I see that many engineers think that using the latest or the coolest non-relational database is the coolest thing, without even having a full understanding of all the features relational databases offer. I believe this guy was one such person.

I am open to working with any technology, be it Microsoft, Apple, Google or whatever, as long as it solves my problem well. Having biases against technologies, or becoming too religious about one, are indications of closed minded thinking. You simply do not know what the other products offer.

I am glad that I didn't waste my time further by going for a personal interview.

Interview Questions

• Why did you not use Cassandra?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sling Media (American Fork, UT) in June 2014.

Interview

3 stage process - 1st a phone interview, then an in-person with 3-5 engineers. Asked to perform a couple of programming assignments on a whiteboard. Called back for another interview with a VP and CTO.

Interview Questions

• Perform string reversal without using any standard C library functions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sling Media (Bengaluru (India)).

Interview

Hiring process took very long time . Initially it started with written test which will validate your JavaScript skills, programming , analytics, design and puzzle
    Round 1: Basic JavaScript questions, Answers for your test, closures, ES6 features, nodeJs architecture etc
    Round 2: Design, puzzle and Rest APIs
    Round 3 : General managerial questions and project details
    Round 4 : Design pattern, Cross domain issues, browser difficulties, web workers, web sockets more depth about project
    Round 5: HR questions

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Offer releasing is little bit late

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sling Media (Bengaluru (India)) in October 2015.

Interview

Referred by friend.

1st round: Couple of persons interviewed. Nice and warm. Concentrated on C basics, OS and projects. Programming questions on linked lists and pointers

2nd round: Next week, 2 persons interviewed and they were concentrated on pointers, memory(allocation), IPC's, data structures, function pointers. Programming on memory allocation, multithread program with mutexes.

3rd round: Hiring manager interviewed me. More about the project, C basics and OS related. Program on endianness, function pointers were asked.

After this HR promptly called me end of day and said, "You are not selected".

Upon asking the reason(since I attended well), there comes the shocking answer that my profile/skill set is not suitable for their requirement!!. Its really strange for them to conduct 3 rounds of interview to identify profile mismatch.

Advice to Management:
    Kindly check the profile before calling him/her for interview. It's really strange to complete all the rounds of interview and says your profile is not suitable for our requirement. Be honest to the person, who spend his/her valuable time for you.

Interview Questions

• Programs on Linked lists, Endianness, pointers, function pointers, memory allocation and multithreading   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sling Media in December 2013.

Interview

Consultant contacted me and arranged for a face to face interview. Had interview in Dec13. 3 rounds 1) tech 2) managerial 3) hr. Basic c / c++, linux and some puzzles were asked in the 1st round. 2nd round is a mix of technical + managerial. 3rd is just a formality.

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sling Media (Bengaluru (India)) in May 2013.

Interview

Technical , managerial , director and HR

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sling Media (Bengaluru (India)) in February 2012.

Interview

Very good panel. They had thought thru the questions very well. They were providing hints if I was getting stuck. Overall good panel and good process. They had 2 rounds on different days. IN second one, they asked about how I went about the things which I hadnt answered

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sling Media in January 2011.

Interview

It was cool and easy interview. Interviewees were cool and knowledgeable. It was 2 tech rounds plus director round plus HR round.
    After interview I was clearly told about that I am through and then HR followed up to discuss salary and more over phone.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sling Media (Bengaluru (India)) in May 2008.

Interview

asked all RTOS basics like process/thread/syncronization and my work etc