SmarterTravel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SmarterTravel Interview Questions

Updated Jan 2, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university hackathon and got an video interview. 2 1 hour interviews with 2 coding questions and a design question. The first half was not that good, as the interviewer did not get along very well. The second half was great and I got really comfortable with the whole process.

Interview Questions

• 1. How will you design an online room booking portal?
      2. Was given two input strings and was asked to get the desired output.
      Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (New York, NY).

Interview

Prepare to interview for more than a month and it falls on the applicant to follow up diligently. It's tough to keep your interviewing under wraps from your current employer when constantly stepping out for a phone call or in person. It is worth it though. I recommend telling them that you'd like to meet as many people as you can in a single day rather than spreading it out - but be sure to be ON for all meets!

Interview Questions

• They asked me to complete an exercise and come up with real suggestions for the business. It was a 1-2 hour take home test. This came after multiple phone screens and 2 rounds of in person interviews.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone screen led to an in person technical interview. All in all, fairly painless to schedule.

Everybody was very nice and personable and folks seemed to be engaged, I reckon they've got the interview process on lockdown. Most of the questions were fairly easy at first glance, but had were iterated upon adding extra requirements as you reached each incremental solution.

Why did I rate this a negative experience? Well, thats due to the fact that I was told that they prided themselves on not leaving candidates hanging and that I'd be hearing back from them the next day regarding their decision. They also noted that they don't play the "we don't give feedback" game. Next day came and went. Next week came and went. I sent a quick e-mail asking for feedback assuming I hadn't been selected to move on, and no response. That irks me, quite a bit.

Interview Questions

• Given a very long text file (say, War and Peace), how would you provide a list of words and the number of times they appear in the file?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Two 1 hour technical interviews with two different team members. SmarterTravel helped sponsor a local hackathon and asked to interview me after they came across my resume that I submitted when I signed up for the hackathon.

The interviews has an overall emphasis on skills listed on resume, I had linux and sql among other things and was asked specific common knowledge questions about both topics.

Interview Questions

• Design a relational database model that will allow a user to search for a hotel by city, book a hotel and cancel a booking.   Answer Question
    • Given a number n return a random integral number from 0 to n exclusive.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmarterTravel in January 2016.

Interview

I met with various teams over a five hour period, consisting of a character interview with a rep from HR, the head of the technical team, and two groups of engineers who each conducted hour long technical interviews. Everyone was very kind and seemed to enjoy their jobs, continuously talking up their place of work and how great of a place it was to be.

Interview Questions

• How would you find the greatest contiguous sequence of numbers in an array?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel.

Interview

The interview process at Jetsetter was very casual. First was phone interview, lasted about 30min. Then in person. Then the CEO. It was slightly delayed as there were ongoing meetings but receptionist and all staff were professional.

Interview Questions

• The general interview questions. They seemed more interested to find the cultural fit than grilling on skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA).

Interview

2 45min sessions with 2 different engineers. Went into an empty room and was asked many technical questions specific to features on the SmarterTravel websites as well as on different interactions. Definitely looking for an experienced candidate.

Interview Questions

• Asked questions about features on their site and how they would be coded as well as data structure and database questions. Wanted to make sure you had read your textbooks in school.   Answer Question

Member of the Production/Development Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in Levittown, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Levittown, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was online via Skype and three people interviewed me at once. It was fairly lax interview, as I was at home during it. They asked general hiring questions and knew I did not have much experience but they wanted somebody to train and it was a full time three month contract.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you deserve the position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA).

Interview

Two on-site technical interview, with white-board coding for 45 minutes each.

First interviewer asked me two data structure programming problems, followed by questions about object oriented programming. Finally in the last 15 minutes, I was asked to solve a medium difficulty algorithm question based on text processing and string manipulation.

Second interview asked me SQL queries, discussed my past projects and a simple questions on the how website works.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through my College Career Fair. I got the reply after two weeks. Interview was on the site with the panel. Staff is very good and they make sure that you feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

• 2 rounds of Interview, each 45 mins.
      I was asked about java collection in both rounds and also java program. I was asked to write the program on white board.
      Answer Question