SmarterTravel Interview Questions

Updated Oct 4, 2019

To filter interviews, or .
Found 30 of over 30 interviews

3.3
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at SmarterTravel

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA) in Sep 2019

Interview

By far the longest and most tedious process I've gone through - started with 30 min. initial convo with HR, which took 2 weeks to facilitate as they ended up changing the time 10 mins. after the start time and then scheduled to meet the following week, but somehow she didn't have it on her calendar entirely. Fast forward, I finally connect with her and she wants to help set a call up with the hiring manager before she leaves for vacation, in which one day as I'm eating lunch outdoors I randomly received a call from the hiring manager. Anyways, eventually I have the 30 min. call with the manager, in which they schedule me in for in person rounds. This ends up being 4 hrs of interviewing with 7 different people who I would be working with/for. Unfortunately for me, this was also scheduled with a "lunch" session in which I'm not exactly sure what the expectation was for me to be able to eat and speak at the same time. Kindly enough they did provide lunch that given day since they have free lunches on Thursdays, but I ended up only being able to take 1 bite in between interviews and had to throw the rest out. A week post interview, HR followed up to say they were still going through candidates and that they should know by the following week. It is now the following week and I haven't heard any updates since with my follow up.

Interview Questions
  • What's your favorite book?
    Answer Question
  • What can we do differently to improve? What are your suggestions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA) in Jun 2017

Interview

SmarterTravel took much longer than promised to book each one of my interviews, although the HR representative was friendly and apologetic about the delays. When I did finally come in for a face-to-face interview (after an HR phone screen and an odd technical phone screen with an individual from a completely different office that I would never work with), it seemed like the majority of the various teams were not prepared for it. The first interviewer (who might ultimately have been my manager, they implied that would be up to me) did at least explain the history and role of the high volume site I would be running and developing completely by myself (that was made clear--they "run lean"). When the back end team came in, they gave me Java code problems to whiteboard with for my PHP/LAMP interview. I had also brought a computer connected to a live server environment to develop with, but was told there was no way I could use it, as they were only comfortable evaluating whiteboard code. It was also obvious that nobody from that team had looked at my GitHub repository, not that I am sure it would have done much good, as they kept saying how "rusty" there were at PHP. I never did receive a straight answer as to whether the long-term intent was to keep the site I would be running in a LAMP environment, which was concerning, at best. The front-end team was at least open to developing with a computer, and obviously we developed with the same language (JavaScript), and that team had at least glanced at my personal code. There were very few code questions (just exercises), and absolutely none of the exercises covered SQL (I'm not sure if it was not a required skill for the position after all, or if it again was poor preparation on the team's part for the interview). Also, there was no coverage of CSS or HTML for the front end, just JavaScript. I have no idea if that was a requirement for this position either.

Interview Questions
  • (Again, for a LAMP Interview): Write a utility function what is responsible for ensuring that: - each open parenthesis must have a corresponding closing parenthesis - No closing parenthesis can occur before a matching open parenthesis The signature for this function will look like this: public boolean isBalanced (String expression);

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (New York, NY) in Nov 2016

Interview

I applied through my university hackathon and got an video interview. 2 1 hour interviews with 2 coding questions and a design question. The first half was not that good, as the interviewer did not get along very well. The second half was great and I got really comfortable with the whole process.

Interview Questions
  • 1. How will you design an online room booking portal? 2. Was given two input strings and was asked to get the desired output.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at SmarterTravel (New York, NY)

Interview

Prepare to interview for more than a month and it falls on the applicant to follow up diligently. It's tough to keep your interviewing under wraps from your current employer when constantly stepping out for a phone call or in person. It is worth it though. I recommend telling them that you'd like to meet as many people as you can in a single day rather than spreading it out - but be sure to be ON for all meets!

Interview Questions
  • They asked me to complete an exercise and come up with real suggestions for the business. It was a 1-2 hour take home test. This came after multiple phone screens and 2 rounds of in person interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salzburg, Salzburg

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Salzburg, Salzburg) in Oct 2016

Interview

Eine Senior Account Managerin und noch eine Vorgesetzte führten ein nettes und offenes Gespräch auf Augenhöhe. Nachdem sie sich vorgstellt haben erzählte ich etwas über meinen bisherigen Werdegang. Danach wurden noch fragen zu meiner Persönlichleit gestellt und u.A. durch ein Rollenspiel erörtert, wie ich mit gewissen Situationen im Job umgehen würde. Vor dem persönlichen Gespräch gab es übrigens ein Telefonat, bei dem ähnliche Themen besprochen wurde. Es schadet nicht, sich auch ausreichend über die Firma und den Posten zu informieren :).

Interview Questions
  • Was würden Sie tun, wenn Sie bemerken, dass ein Kollege nicht viel arbeitet, aber es sonst niemandem auffällt?

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (New York, NY) in Aug 2016

Interview

nice and friendly staff, mellow interview process- everyone was welcoming and thoughtful. all of the questions were easy to answer and non-invasive. I felt really comfortable and was able to answer every question with ease!!

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA) in Jul 2016

Interview

Phone screen led to an in person technical interview. All in all, fairly painless to schedule. Everybody was very nice and personable and folks seemed to be engaged, I reckon they've got the interview process on lockdown. Most of the questions were fairly easy at first glance, but had were iterated upon adding extra requirements as you reached each incremental solution. Why did I rate this a negative experience? Well, thats due to the fact that I was told that they prided themselves on not leaving candidates hanging and that I'd be hearing back from them the next day regarding their decision. They also noted that they don't play the "we don't give feedback" game. Next day came and went. Next week came and went. I sent a quick e-mail asking for feedback assuming I hadn't been selected to move on, and no response. That irks me, quite a bit.

Interview Questions
  • Given a very long text file (say, War and Peace), how would you provide a list of words and the number of times they appear in the file?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA) in Jun 2016

Interview

Dan Lyons wrote a book about how the software industry is becoming a field in which emotionally intelligent managers present a positive atmosphere to take advantage of young people, and get them to work very long hours. I would describe this company as a typical tech company without the emotional intelligence. When my interview was booked, I was told that if it wasn't going well, they would not have me meet the CTO, out of respect for my time. This is obviously really because they don't want to waste their CTO's time on a candidate who probably won't be hired, disguised as an effort to be considerate to me. When I showed up, I was asked to fill out a job application, which is highly unusual for high-paid positions, such as software engineer. The form wanted me to sign over permission to contact my previous employers, even though I had been given no notice they might do this during the interview. Past employers should be given notice that they might be called and asked for recommendations. Asking me to sign over permission was unprofessional of them, and threatened to make me look unprofessional to my past employers. I politely declined. I spent the day doing coding exercises, including coding problems that were specific to niche areas I had never touched before. I got all questions correctly, except for two that had to do with niche topics I had never worked with. Then the manager came in to tell me they had decided to pass because they liked to see people who could demonstrate an ability to write code. I have a degree in Computer Science from a top school, I'm a third generation computer programmer, and I've worked for top tech companies in the past. If this company doesn't think I can demonstrate an ability to write code because my brain is dead after six hours straight of coding exercises, and being asked to code specific things my resume clearly indicated no experience in, then that's a sign that this company does not know how to interview developers. The manager also said there were other reasons they were declining to move forward, but that companies need to be sensitive about what information they disclose. This sounds distinctly like this company did something illegal.

Interview Questions
  • Determine the probability of an ad repeating a certain number of times, given JSON data representing ads and their respective probability weights.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA) in Feb 2016

Interview

Two 1 hour technical interviews with two different team members. SmarterTravel helped sponsor a local hackathon and asked to interview me after they came across my resume that I submitted when I signed up for the hackathon. The interviews has an overall emphasis on skills listed on resume, I had linux and sql among other things and was asked specific common knowledge questions about both topics.

Interview Questions
  • Design a relational database model that will allow a user to search for a hotel by city, book a hotel and cancel a booking.
  • Given a number n return a random integral number from 0 to n exclusive.

SmarterTravel

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmarterTravel in Jan 2016

Interview

I met with various teams over a five hour period, consisting of a character interview with a rep from HR, the head of the technical team, and two groups of engineers who each conducted hour long technical interviews. Everyone was very kind and seemed to enjoy their jobs, continuously talking up their place of work and how great of a place it was to be.

Interview Questions
  • How would you find the greatest contiguous sequence of numbers in an array?
1 person found this interview helpful