SmarterTravel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 25, 2017

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA) in June 2017.

Interview

SmarterTravel took much longer than promised to book each one of my interviews, although the HR representative was friendly and apologetic about the delays. When I did finally come in for a face-to-face interview (after an HR phone screen and an odd technical phone screen with an individual from a completely different office that I would never work with), it seemed like the majority of the various teams were not prepared for it.
    The first interviewer (who might ultimately have been my manager, they implied that would be up to me) did at least explain the history and role of the high volume site I would be running and developing completely by myself (that was made clear--they "run lean"). When the back end team came in, they gave me Java code problems to whiteboard with for my PHP/LAMP interview. I had also brought a computer connected to a live server environment to develop with, but was told there was no way I could use it, as they were only comfortable evaluating whiteboard code. It was also obvious that nobody from that team had looked at my GitHub repository, not that I am sure it would have done much good, as they kept saying how "rusty" there were at PHP. I never did receive a straight answer as to whether the long-term intent was to keep the site I would be running in a LAMP environment, which was concerning, at best.
    The front-end team was at least open to developing with a computer, and obviously we developed with the same language (JavaScript), and that team had at least glanced at my personal code. There were very few code questions (just exercises), and absolutely none of the exercises covered SQL (I'm not sure if it was not a required skill for the position after all, or if it again was poor preparation on the team's part for the interview). Also, there was no coverage of CSS or HTML for the front end, just JavaScript. I have no idea if that was a requirement for this position either.

Interview Questions

• (Again, for a LAMP Interview):
      Write a utility function what is responsible for ensuring that:
      - each open parenthesis must have a corresponding closing parenthesis
      - No closing parenthesis can occur before a matching open parenthesis
      The signature for this function will look like this:
      public boolean isBalanced (String expression);   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university hackathon and got an video interview. 2 1 hour interviews with 2 coding questions and a design question. The first half was not that good, as the interviewer did not get along very well. The second half was great and I got really comfortable with the whole process.

Interview Questions

• 1. How will you design an online room booking portal?
      2. Was given two input strings and was asked to get the desired output.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (New York, NY).

Interview

Prepare to interview for more than a month and it falls on the applicant to follow up diligently. It's tough to keep your interviewing under wraps from your current employer when constantly stepping out for a phone call or in person. It is worth it though. I recommend telling them that you'd like to meet as many people as you can in a single day rather than spreading it out - but be sure to be ON for all meets!

Interview Questions

• They asked me to complete an exercise and come up with real suggestions for the business. It was a 1-2 hour take home test. This came after multiple phone screens and 2 rounds of in person interviews.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

nice and friendly staff, mellow interview process- everyone was welcoming and thoughtful. all of the questions were easy to answer and non-invasive. I felt really comfortable and was able to answer every question with ease!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone screen led to an in person technical interview. All in all, fairly painless to schedule.

Everybody was very nice and personable and folks seemed to be engaged, I reckon they've got the interview process on lockdown. Most of the questions were fairly easy at first glance, but had were iterated upon adding extra requirements as you reached each incremental solution.

Why did I rate this a negative experience? Well, thats due to the fact that I was told that they prided themselves on not leaving candidates hanging and that I'd be hearing back from them the next day regarding their decision. They also noted that they don't play the "we don't give feedback" game. Next day came and went. Next week came and went. I sent a quick e-mail asking for feedback assuming I hadn't been selected to move on, and no response. That irks me, quite a bit.

Interview Questions

• Given a very long text file (say, War and Peace), how would you provide a list of words and the number of times they appear in the file?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

Dan Lyons wrote a book about how the software industry is becoming a field in which emotionally intelligent managers present a positive atmosphere to take advantage of young people, and get them to work very long hours. I would describe this company as a typical tech company without the emotional intelligence.

When my interview was booked, I was told that if it wasn't going well, they would not have me meet the CTO, out of respect for my time. This is obviously really because they don't want to waste their CTO's time on a candidate who probably won't be hired, disguised as an effort to be considerate to me. When I showed up, I was asked to fill out a job application, which is highly unusual for high-paid positions, such as software engineer. The form wanted me to sign over permission to contact my previous employers, even though I had been given no notice they might do this during the interview. Past employers should be given notice that they might be called and asked for recommendations. Asking me to sign over permission was unprofessional of them, and threatened to make me look unprofessional to my past employers. I politely declined.

I spent the day doing coding exercises, including coding problems that were specific to niche areas I had never touched before. I got all questions correctly, except for two that had to do with niche topics I had never worked with. Then the manager came in to tell me they had decided to pass because they liked to see people who could demonstrate an ability to write code. I have a degree in Computer Science from a top school, I'm a third generation computer programmer, and I've worked for top tech companies in the past. If this company doesn't think I can demonstrate an ability to write code because my brain is dead after six hours straight of coding exercises, and being asked to code specific things my resume clearly indicated no experience in, then that's a sign that this company does not know how to interview developers.

The manager also said there were other reasons they were declining to move forward, but that companies need to be sensitive about what information they disclose. This sounds distinctly like this company did something illegal.

Interview Questions

• Determine the probability of an ad repeating a certain number of times, given JSON data representing ads and their respective probability weights.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Two 1 hour technical interviews with two different team members. SmarterTravel helped sponsor a local hackathon and asked to interview me after they came across my resume that I submitted when I signed up for the hackathon.

The interviews has an overall emphasis on skills listed on resume, I had linux and sql among other things and was asked specific common knowledge questions about both topics.

Interview Questions

• Design a relational database model that will allow a user to search for a hotel by city, book a hotel and cancel a booking.   Answer Question
    • Given a number n return a random integral number from 0 to n exclusive.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmarterTravel in January 2016.

Interview

I met with various teams over a five hour period, consisting of a character interview with a rep from HR, the head of the technical team, and two groups of engineers who each conducted hour long technical interviews. Everyone was very kind and seemed to enjoy their jobs, continuously talking up their place of work and how great of a place it was to be.

Interview Questions

• How would you find the greatest contiguous sequence of numbers in an array?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SmarterTravel.

Interview

The interview process at Jetsetter was very casual. First was phone interview, lasted about 30min. Then in person. Then the CEO. It was slightly delayed as there were ongoing meetings but receptionist and all staff were professional.

Interview Questions

• The general interview questions. They seemed more interested to find the cultural fit than grilling on skills.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmarterTravel (Boston, MA).

Interview

2 45min sessions with 2 different engineers. Went into an empty room and was asked many technical questions specific to features on the SmarterTravel websites as well as on different interactions. Definitely looking for an experienced candidate.

Interview Questions

• Asked questions about features on their site and how they would be coded as well as data structure and database questions. Wanted to make sure you had read your textbooks in school.   Answer Question