Smarthinking Writing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Smarthinking

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Online Writing Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smarthinking.

Interview

I never spoke with anyone at Smarthinking. The interview process was conducted online, and they emailed me afterwards and asked me to write a sample markup of a student's essay. The instructions they provided were wordy and unclear. The online forum was a bit of a mess (the student's essay looked like it was shown in 8 pt. font, and the text boxes were frustrating to format correctly. If I copied and pasted a section of the essay to show the student something specific, then my font size ballooned up to something huge).

Interview Questions

• They provide you with a long, muddled list of guidelines to follow. They also request that you try to complete the markup within 30-45 minutes (this time limit seems to be their main point of contention but isn't something that's stressed heavily in the instructions, and there's no indication that you might be timed during your markup).

Ultimately, I wasn't offered a position. I have a Bachelor's degree, so maybe I wasn't what they were looking for at the time. Smarthinking brags that 90% of their tutors have Master's or P.h.D's.

Like others on this site have said, completing a paper review in half an hour is stressful and somewhat unrealistic. I know I didn't finish my sample markup in 30 minutes (possibly the reason I wasn't offered the job). You're reading and re-reading a student's paper, scanning for all types of mistakes, and writing comments meant to teach the student WHY something is incorrect rather than just calling attention to something that is incorrect (it's a solid teaching strategy but not something that's easily done under a time limit).

In my opinion, this company pushes quantity over quality. If I were a student and I paid for this type of service, I wouldn't want my paper reviewed by this company. They can't look at your work in its entirety and deliver thorough writing advice - it's just not possible.

I researched Smarthinking, and I would say don't apply for this job if you are considering this as your main source of income. The pay is minimum wage or slightly above minimum wage. If you have a college degree, like they are asking for, then you're most likely overqualified for this type of work anyway.   Answer Question

Online Writing Lab Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Smarthinking (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I completed a thorough application, an online tutoring simulation, and forms for a background check and employment eligibility. Everything was done via email or online. The whole process was time-consuming but short between application and job offer.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smarthinking.

Interview

I never actually talked with anyone. They asked me complete a sample markup of a paper. I was offered the position quickly, but actually getting the job took months because it took forever for my hiring paperwork to be processed.

Interview Questions

• They just asked me to do a sample markup of a paper. About a half hour after submitting my markup, they replied with the job offer.   Answer Question

Interview

There was no interview process for this position. I did not speak to anyone from the company in the process of applying. After submitting the application materials (cover letter and resume), I was informed that I had received an offer. The offer letter had information about training schedules.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smarthinking in May 2015.

Interview

No interview per se, I just went through an online test to see if my writing skills were up to their expectations. Then I was contacted by Smarthinking and asked if I would take the job. I went through a two month training course online which consisted of passing a series of training modules simulating real-life essay responses. I was hired in late May and the training took about five weeks.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smarthinking.

Interview

Job required a resume and cover letter. After submitting those, I was sent a couple example essay to review. Upon completion of those, I was offered the position. Everything was done via email.

Interview Questions

• I had to get a form notarized in order to work with the company, and I had trouble finding a notary who would sign it. I had to request a different form in order to move forward with the hiring company.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Smarthinking.

Interview

Complete multiple sample essays per their guidelines.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Smarthinking in August 2010.

Interview

The recruitment process started for me with an advertisement that I saw in March, which had an April or May deadline. I first heard via email that they were interested in my application about a month after I applied. I was given a skills test (a couple of untimed essays to review according to SMARTHINKING's form) to complete and send back by a deadline. Did that and a few weeks later, I received a positive response, and then received an additional skills test (if I recall correctly) and was asked for permission to check references etc. Then I was scheduled for paid training, which took several weeks. After successfully completing the training, I officially became an employee in September. So, it was a long process from beginning to end, but with lots of down-time in between steps. It was a friendly process.

Interview Questions

• No real questions. You are asked to comment on the tutoring samples you are given as part of the screening and as part of the training. They can end the process if they are unsatisfied with your progress.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pay is set, based on degrees (an extra dollar an hour for a master's degree, and then an extra dollar an hour for PhD). No room to negotiate, I don't think.