SmithBucklin Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

SmithBucklin Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

2.8

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Standard phone screening followed by a long gap between the actual interview.

Interview was comically over the top, with about 4 employees asking questions...keep in mind this was for an entry level position that pays around $35,000. Overall no real substantive questions, just basic situation-based stuff.

A tedious, drawn-out process, but the office is nice at least. Ended up getting a job that pays more, with a much quicker hiring process.

PS There are very few males in the marketing department - and even fewer minority males. So much for diversity.

Communities & Events Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very pleasant. Not a high pressure process and they were flexible with interview dates and times. The interview process was very personalized and they seem to really care about how well you fit with their company and culture. Very deliberate about insuring you can provide value to their company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond in your current position.   Answer Question

Membership and Operations Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online through the SB website and received a phone call that day over lunch from a recruiter. She actually offered for me to interview for a higher position and we set up a time to speak over the phone.

The phone interview was 45 minutes long and followed up by an opportunity for a 1st in person interview.

During the first face to face interview, I was seen by two different team members for 30 minutes each. Two days later was given the opportunity for the 2nd in-person interview.

The second face to face was 2 hours long and with three individuals separately. One final interview was offered as a remote interview with an executive director in DC.

Overall, the entire process took 4 weeks. I believe time was lengthened due to the holidays.

Interview Questions

• What's one word that describes you?

Why SmithBucklin?

Why are you leaving your current position?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much opportunity or reason to negotiate. Was offered a reasonable salary and benefits are excellent. Looking forward to this new opportunity.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Initial phone call with HR director then in person meeting with Regional Sales Rep and VP of Sales. The in person interview took almost 3 hours but was basic in regards to the questions being asked. I asked what next steps were in regards to hiring process and I was told "there is no reason why we wouldn't move forward with you" After 3 days I followed up to hear more - I never heard from anyone in the company - ghosted.

Interview Questions

• What are your goals? Why should we pick you? Basic questions such as tell me about your resume.   Answer Question

Education and Learning Services Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Received a phone call from a recruiter about scheduling a phone interviewer for the next week, received a call from the same recruiter about scheduling an in person interviewer, received a call from the same recruiter about scheduling a schedule round interview. A week after the third-interview, I was sent an impersonalized email from Human Resources with no context about why I was not moving forward with my position. Left an awful taste in my mouth about a company, which prides itself on hiring a "human" being.

Middle Manager Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview from HR was very weak and rushed. The robotic interviewer clearly didn't read the resume or cover letter and offered no info about the position. Simply launched into "tell me about yourself". I ended up being called in for an interview weeks later and was unimpressed w.the hiring manager so didn't accept the offer. SB has a reputation that they completely run you ragged, and that isn't what I'm looking for. Other association management companies don't have this reputation and there are a lot of great employers in CHI so this position wasn't appealing when I found out more about the organization.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about salary requirements even though I said (and meant) it was negotiable.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied for a full time position anticipating starting an early job search before graduation. An HR representative called me two days later and said that she liked my resume but my graduation date was too far in the future for them to consider me for a full time position. She offered the internship program and said I would get similar experience and have the opportunity to potentially convert full time. I agreed to being considered for the internship position, and we scheduled a 30 minute phone interview. It was very basic questions about my resume and my experiences on my resume. She then invited in me in for an in-person interview which was done with her, another HR representative from the DC office via Skype, and a past intern. They asked me normal interview questions about problems I've faced working with groups, why I was interested in the position, etc. About a week later they offered me the internship, which I accepted. I've been interning here for about 2 months now, and I really love it.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you experienced conflict and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Client Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for a position with them and was contacted by a friendly person in the HR department about a week later to set up an interview. The person who interviewed me wasn't very friendly and spent most of the interview talking about the company. Once I realized that she wasn't asking beneficial interview questions I started volunteering information about myself that was relevant to the position. I didn't get selected to move forward in the hiring process and probably won't seek employment with the company again because of is disinterest of the interviewer. That may not be important to some people but company culture is important to me and this interaction was off putting.

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

The interviews were pretty standard. Met with several different people who were able to offer insight into the position and company. Very friendly people, and they all seemed to love their job. I get the impression that it is a great place to work, and that management truly cares about you. They didn't throw me any curveballs, and we're very quick and getting back to me.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a disagreement, and how you handled it   Answer Question

Communications Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online and about a month later got a call to schedule a phone interview. About a week later a had a phone interview with a different HR person. A few days after that I was asked to come in for a 3 person interview lasting an hour and a half. I was told I would hear back by the end of the week and never did. I emailed the HR woman I had been communicating with and she told me I would hear by the next week. Still heard nothing. Finally heard back that I would not be moving on 3 weeks after my in person interviews.

Interview Questions

• All normal questions. Basically asking you about your background.   1 Answer