SmithBucklin Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.8

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Entry-Level Membership and Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Overall, the interview process was pretty simple and fair. I applied for the job online and received a request for a phone screen within a week with a corporate recruiter for 15 min -20 min. It was a pretty simple phone call. Be able to speak well about your experience, why you are interested in the position, how your skills may transfer and why you want to work for SmithBucklin. The following week, I received another email for an in - person 30 min. interview. Again, pretty simple and my interviewer was pretty knowledgeable about the position and gave great insight about the types of projects and potential clients/volunteers I would've been working with.

Communications Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

A very organized and professional interview process. The recruiter kept in constant contact with me throughout the process and I had mostly nice interviewers. It was comprised of one phone interview and two video interviews (I was interviewing remotely) with about 3 people for the latter 2 interviews.
    I did receive an offer, but chose to decline. I declined due to the fact that I did not enjoy speaking with the hiring manager. I quite frankly found her rude. She asked me how my previous interviews had gone, and after I gave my answer, she said condescendingly, "That's it? Can you tell me a bit more?" I honestly couldn't see myself working for a manager who was already acting rude and condescending towards me in my interview.
    After my final interviews I completed online personality and writing assessments.
    Everyone else, however, was very nice. The offer itself was a pretty good one, but it just did not seem like an enjoyable place to work due to my experience with the hiring manager and the many negative reviews from employees on Glassdoor.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at SmithBucklin? Tell me about a conflict you had with a coworker.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied for an Associate's position with SmithBucklins' subsidiary, Tech Image. I received a phone interview request more than a month after submitting an online application. The phone interview was smooth, no curve balls or tricky questions, it was a pretty straight forward phone screen, pretty conversational, mostly about my background. The HR representative was nice, she was able to answer all of the questions I had about SmithBucklin and the position. Shortly after the phone interview, I was asked to come in for an in person interview with some of the Tech Image team. Four, one on one interviews took about two hours, they were all open about the work they do, who their clients are and what not. Again, nothing too tricky, no curve ball questions.

Unfortunately, they let me know that they would be moving on with another candidate. However, during the entire process, every one I spoke with was extremely professional and polite.

Membership and Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

After submitting my application I heard back within 2 weeks to schedule an interview. The recruiter was friendly and professional. There was an initial phone interview followed by an interview with the team manager.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Standard phone screening followed by a long gap between the actual interview.

Interview was comically over the top, with about 4 employees asking questions...keep in mind this was for an entry level position that pays around $35,000. Overall no real substantive questions, just basic situation-based stuff.

A tedious, drawn-out process, but the office is nice at least. Ended up getting a job that pays more, with a much quicker hiring process.

PS There are very few males in the marketing department - and even fewer minority males. So much for diversity.

Communities & Events Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very pleasant. Not a high pressure process and they were flexible with interview dates and times. The interview process was very personalized and they seem to really care about how well you fit with their company and culture. Very deliberate about insuring you can provide value to their company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond in your current position.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online through the SB website and received a phone call that day over lunch from a recruiter. She actually offered for me to interview for a higher position and we set up a time to speak over the phone.

The phone interview was 45 minutes long and followed up by an opportunity for a 1st in person interview.

During the first face to face interview, I was seen by two different team members for 30 minutes each. Two days later was given the opportunity for the 2nd in-person interview.

The second face to face was 2 hours long and with three individuals separately. One final interview was offered as a remote interview with an executive director in DC.

Overall, the entire process took 4 weeks. I believe time was lengthened due to the holidays.

Interview Questions

• What's one word that describes you?

Why SmithBucklin?

Why are you leaving your current position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much opportunity or reason to negotiate. Was offered a reasonable salary and benefits are excellent. Looking forward to this new opportunity.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Initial phone call with HR director then in person meeting with Regional Sales Rep and VP of Sales. The in person interview took almost 3 hours but was basic in regards to the questions being asked. I asked what next steps were in regards to hiring process and I was told "there is no reason why we wouldn't move forward with you" After 3 days I followed up to hear more - I never heard from anyone in the company - ghosted.

Interview Questions

• What are your goals? Why should we pick you? Basic questions such as tell me about your resume.   Answer Question

Education and Learning Services Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Received a phone call from a recruiter about scheduling a phone interviewer for the next week, received a call from the same recruiter about scheduling an in person interviewer, received a call from the same recruiter about scheduling a schedule round interview. A week after the third-interview, I was sent an impersonalized email from Human Resources with no context about why I was not moving forward with my position. Left an awful taste in my mouth about a company, which prides itself on hiring a "human" being.

Middle Manager Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmithBucklin (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview from HR was very weak and rushed. The robotic interviewer clearly didn't read the resume or cover letter and offered no info about the position. Simply launched into "tell me about yourself". I ended up being called in for an interview weeks later and was unimpressed w.the hiring manager so didn't accept the offer. SB has a reputation that they completely run you ragged, and that isn't what I'm looking for. Other association management companies don't have this reputation and there are a lot of great employers in CHI so this position wasn't appealing when I found out more about the organization.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about salary requirements even though I said (and meant) it was negotiable.   Answer Question