SmithGroup Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at SmithGroup

2.7

Senior Design Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at SmithGroup (Detroit, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Initial phone conversation with HR person and then with one of the people that would be conducting an in-person interview. First interview: Was told I would meet with three people; only 2 showed up and 1 left halfway through the meeting. Second interview: Was to meet with 3 other people; again, only 2 showed up and only 1 stayed the entire time. Both times I had to pay my own way to the interview and for parking etc. All other companies I interviewed either paid for travel expenses or reimbursed me. This was the first company that didn't. They didn't seem to have even looked at my resume before I interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interview consisted of them telling me about their organization. There was not much interest in looking at more portfolio during the first interview. I didn't feel they were really the right people to be conducting the interview. The second interview seemed to go well and the interviewer did show interest in seeing my portfolio but didn't ask much about my process, etc.   Answer Question

Entry-Level Interview

Interview

- the process was a bit slow, took over a month
    - team not very responsive to emails during process
    - the actual interview was a very personable, casual conversation with studio leader

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in a company?
      How did you create some of the drawings in the portfolio?   Answer Question

Project Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SmithGroup (Chicago, IL) in December 2008.

Interview

Just the general questions on education/background/experience/skills

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmithGroup (Washington, DC) in March 2018.

Interview

it was smooth, I got an email asking to come in and speak with the supervisor. The interview went well , lasted an hour and then I had another interview with a couple with the senior staff, got hired shortly after, spoke to HR about salary

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmithGroup in August 2014.

Interview

After sending my resume in response to a job posting on a private group page, HR called me. She asked basic questions about my resume, why I was interested and what I was looking for out of the job. She then offered an in person interview for the following week. That day, she met me at the door when I arrived, and brought me to the room where I met the head HR (woman), and the head Business Development (woman). They were both very friendly, nice, and welcoming. They started the interview with basic "get-to-know-you" questions. (Where are you from? What do you do for fun? What are you doing now?) After the conversation ended they let me know they were going to ask some behavioral questions. They had a sheet of questions, highlighted with the questions they wanted to ask me specifically. The questions all started with: Tell me about a time when....you made a mistake, you had to delegate, you were stressed, you had conflict of interest, etc. After that the interview was over. HR followed up 3 days later with request for another interview. This time she met me at the door again and I was introduced to the 3 members of the marketing team. This interview was far more "casual" than the first. These individuals ranged from 24 - 30 years old (just a guess). A majority of the interview was sharing and finding mutual interests and similarities (colleges, travel, work history, hobbies, etc). They each had a couple questions to ask me pertaining to the job. For example: Are you comfortable with writing press releases? What is your graphic design experience? Easy questions pertaining to the technical skills necessary for the job. They walked me to the door and my interview was over. Everyone likes to shake hands with you before you leave. About 1 week later I heard back from the original HR woman that they offered someone else the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you....   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmithGroup (Detroit, MI) in February 2009.

Interview

I emailed them my resume about any opportunities even though it wasn't listed on their website. A few months later I get an email about bringing me in for a interview with the director of ME. The interviewing was short and general (simply a behavioral). The rest of the idea was spent touring the office and meeting other employees. There was a short (10 min) meeting with HR at the end of the day.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SmithGroup (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2016.

Interview

There was a 45 minute interview. They asked standard questions and went over my resume point for point. Then there was a quick tour followed by introductions to various employees. I knew in my gut that I had the job by the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how I would deal with ethical dilemmas, rushing out projects that haven't been properly reviewed. They just wanted to see if I had common sense really.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmithGroup (Washington, DC) in September 2011.

Interview

Contacted by SmithGroup to interview for position. Received my resume from a University Database for prospective employers. This was the worst interviewing experience I've ever had. The interviewer was 15 minutes late and was on his blackberry the entire time. There were very few questions being asked on their end. It was almost awkward with how little it seemed they wanted me to be there. I ended up leaving the interview early because of how unprofessional and arrogant the recruiters were. Was offerered to interview with them on 2 additional occasions and turned them down. The members of this firm (DC Office) are very arrogant and self-absorbed. Of friends that I have that work there, they get worked to the bone (sometimes to 9-10pm on a Friday) and get modest compensation. Although they have "sexy projects," in my experience the culture leaves a lot to be desired. I have 4 peers who joined and left SmithGroup within their first 2 years for these reasons. From - Lighting/Electrical, Mechanical,& Structural Engineering positions.

Interview Questions

• Only asked about previous work experiences.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmithGroup (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was asked to come for an in-person interview. I only had 1 interview but I was not qualified enough for the position. I had given my resume to a representative a year earlier at a career fair but they did not have any available positions then. The following year they asked me to apply when a position opened.

Lighting Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SmithGroup (Lawrence, KS) in November 2012.

Interview

Interview was more like a lecture. He didn't even look at a work on my resume or any of my projects, but just lectured me on life like a bored prof.

Interview Questions

I did not like the type of work offered