Smithsonian Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Advancement Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

I received an email for a phone interview which went well. Afterwards I was invited for an in person interview which was very laid back and only lasted about 35 minutes. No real difficult questions, just a get to know you conversation. I did not hear back for 2 weeks and I emailed the secretary who stated they were still in the hiring process. I never heard back from them after that email.

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Smithsonian in October 2015.

Interview

Contacted me via email for a 10 to 15 minute phone interview to tell me more about the job, ask about my experiences and screen me. Started out with simple chatting where she got to know me a little and it progressed to questions more typical of a normal interview that specifically related to the job. Very friendly interviewer made it relatively low stress.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience writing scientific/technical papers? What was the hardest thing about working in (last job)? Do you have experience with cross cultural encounters? Have you ever been in charge of planning an event?   1 Answer

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

Sent application via email in late January, interview happened in early February; didn't find out about company decision until early March.

Was told repeatedly that the position was very competitive, many, many applicants received.

Emailed first for a very brief phone interview basically confirming my interest and asking for an in-person interview. Came in for the in-person interview and spoke with two editors. Questions were more casual, personal, not the usual job interview questions. Shown around the office, asked about my background, etc.

I received a personal phone call when I wasn't selected for the position; the interviewer actually apologized and expressed her regret that she couldn't hire me, which I appreciated, even if I was still deeply disappointed. Did not, however, receive feedback as to WHY I wasn't hired.

Interview Questions

• "If you weren't hired here, what job would you be working?"   1 Answer

Major Gifts Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Smithsonian in August 2013.

Interview

I received a very timely response requesting to meet for an interview. The support, management, and executive staff were all extremely friendly and personable. I met with the hiring director and executive director at once - this was very efficient for them and for me. During our interview, I really felt they'd taken the time out to look at my experience and skill set individually to consider how it would complement the other members of the team and their new goals. The interview felt very much like a team strategy meeting and less like a judge's panel; I found this to be a great way of getting a good send of how we could all work together. This was one of the better interviews I've had - no rapid-fire, cookie-cutter questions were asked in order to check them off a template.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be the most difficult challenge to taking on this higher role - the aspect of the job which you have the least amount of experience in and the highest learning curve to achieve the desired results?   Answer Question

Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Smithsonian.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the Development office, and there are two people in charge of the office, a male and female. They were both very friendly and professional. The female lady has an interest in Renaissance art. During the interview, they were focused on asking about the background and interest in this position. Very professional and knowledgeable about nonprofit fundraising.

New Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

Lesson learned: Be assertive.

Initially, I received an email stating that I did not quality for the position, but since I was close to finishing college, and getting rejected left and right at the time, I really wanted to know why I did not qualify. Someone from the Center called me a few days later, and told me that they realized that they would need more than one candidate for the position, and that if I was still interested, I should come in for an interview. And I did! The interview was conducted by 4 people, whom were all very friendly, and easy to talk to. I think the biggest thing is to be confident, even if you may not have the best answer, be as confident as you can be because it can make up for other things.

They asked about all my work experience, had written all over a copy of my resume ready to be asked, they asked about my different work situations, how I handled school and work, etc.

In the end, no offer, but they did say that they loved talking to me and that I was an excellent candidate.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness? This was expected, but I hate answering this question. And I don't think I gave the best reply.   Answer Question

Exhibit Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in June 2009.

Interview

connections to person from previous work experience

Interview Questions

• Will you get a certification for certain experience level?   1 Answer