Smithsonian Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 28, 2017

2.6

Advancement Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

I received an email for a phone interview which went well. Afterwards I was invited for an in person interview which was very laid back and only lasted about 35 minutes. No real difficult questions, just a get to know you conversation. I did not hear back for 2 weeks and I emailed the secretary who stated they were still in the hiring process. I never heard back from them after that email.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC).

Interview

There was a 30 minute phone interview followed by a panel interview and then one where I gave a presentation. So two separate in-person interviews and then there was a final Skype interview with the management team. So four interviews in total before receiving an offer for the position. Then they needed to do background checks. So it was a lengthy process.

Interview Questions

• What makes you qualified for this job?   2 Answers

Digital Media and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Incredibly fast! I applied the day of the deadline, got a call the next day and on the same day as my call I got the internship! I think it has to do with the department at SI that was hiring me, as I heard it can oftentimes be a much slower process. They emailed me the next day, we set up a phone call for the following day, and I heard back I got the internship within 3 hours of my interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Smithsonian? How do your past internships mesh with the requirements of this job? Can you come in for full days?   Answer Question

Training Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Honestly, the interview questions did not reflect the work that I currently do. It is not the interviewers' faults. They were not L&D people. They represented possible stakeholders. But, to be honest, I have not interacted with any of them on a meaningful level since my interview.

OFEO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

For the applications for the various Smithsonian internship programs, I wrote essays highlighting why I was a goo fit for the programs that they were offering. They want the experience to benefit me and them in the long run. For the interview there was a five person panel which though intimidating gave me a good idea of the people and environment there.

Interview Questions

• What do you want this internship to do for you? What do you hope to learn from this internship? Have you handled artwork and artifacts before? What would you add to the Smithsonian through this internship?   Answer Question

Content Development & Strategy Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

No interview for this internship position. Positions offered based on qualifications. Office is always looking help for there is always work to be done. Supervisor and team are very helpful and enthusiastic about their work and its purpose. Slower-paced work environment.

Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

They contacted in 2-3 weeks .They took the interview & said they are interested & asked for written documents & technical paper. Then they did not replied back for months and when I did a follow up came to know they want to interview more people and reopened the position. Then after 4 months they said they are again interested and wanted me to come for second round of interview .In the second interview they said we downgraded the position for lower pay scale let us know if you are still interested. The salary they offered was less then what I am earning right now . so I declined the offer .

Interview Questions

• We have downgraded the position grade Are you still interested in joining the Company ?   Answer Question

Museum Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC).

Interview

Initial contact and interview were clear but informal. The person conducting the interview was detailed about the expectations of when, where, and who of the interview including the dress code (which was informal). A single in person interview was conducted with introductions (after the interview) to other members of the work unit.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked technical questions directly related to the mechanics of doing the actual job. Although potentially difficult, these are questions that a person interviewing for this position would be comfortable answering. In fact I found the interview easy and relatively low stress (if such a thing is possible).   Answer Question

Negotiation

Ha! There was no negotiation. I was contacted by the HR department with the job offer (position and starting salary being offered). The negotiation consisted of either accepting their offer or declining employment.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC).

Interview

This was fairly simple. So long as you had the appropriate qualifications and a work ethic it seemed that they could accept you. The questions were very much along the lines of where you want to go in life. The interview was over the phone and was not stressful at all. As for after the acceptance there was a simple background check and everything else was fairly straight forward.

Interview Questions

• I wouldn't say that there was anything truly unexpected.   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

Sent application via email in late January, interview happened in early February; didn't find out about company decision until early March.

Was told repeatedly that the position was very competitive, many, many applicants received.

Emailed first for a very brief phone interview basically confirming my interest and asking for an in-person interview. Came in for the in-person interview and spoke with two editors. Questions were more casual, personal, not the usual job interview questions. Shown around the office, asked about my background, etc.

I received a personal phone call when I wasn't selected for the position; the interviewer actually apologized and expressed her regret that she couldn't hire me, which I appreciated, even if I was still deeply disappointed. Did not, however, receive feedback as to WHY I wasn't hired.

Interview Questions

• "If you weren't hired here, what job would you be working?"   1 Answer