Smithsonian Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.5

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

There were two rounds of interviews. The first was a very general conversation so they could get to know my background, the second was more specific behavioral and technical questions related to the role. Once they reached out about the first round interview, it was just a few weeks until I had received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you collaborated on a team, and describe how your contribution to the team improved the end results.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview was friendly and laid-back. They calmed my nerves. The employees clearly love their job and it showed. It went so well and, luckily, I got the position. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, really.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Advancement Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

I received an email for a phone interview which went well. Afterwards I was invited for an in person interview which was very laid back and only lasted about 35 minutes. No real difficult questions, just a get to know you conversation. I did not hear back for 2 weeks and I emailed the secretary who stated they were still in the hiring process. I never heard back from them after that email.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC).

Interview

There was a 30 minute phone interview followed by a panel interview and then one where I gave a presentation. So two separate in-person interviews and then there was a final Skype interview with the management team. So four interviews in total before receiving an offer for the position. Then they needed to do background checks. So it was a lengthy process.

Interview Questions

• What makes you qualified for this job?   2 Answers

Digital Media and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Incredibly fast! I applied the day of the deadline, got a call the next day and on the same day as my call I got the internship! I think it has to do with the department at SI that was hiring me, as I heard it can oftentimes be a much slower process. They emailed me the next day, we set up a phone call for the following day, and I heard back I got the internship within 3 hours of my interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Smithsonian? How do your past internships mesh with the requirements of this job? Can you come in for full days?   Answer Question

Training Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Honestly, the interview questions did not reflect the work that I currently do. It is not the interviewers' faults. They were not L&D people. They represented possible stakeholders. But, to be honest, I have not interacted with any of them on a meaningful level since my interview.

OFEO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

For the applications for the various Smithsonian internship programs, I wrote essays highlighting why I was a goo fit for the programs that they were offering. They want the experience to benefit me and them in the long run. For the interview there was a five person panel which though intimidating gave me a good idea of the people and environment there.

Interview Questions

• What do you want this internship to do for you? What do you hope to learn from this internship? Have you handled artwork and artifacts before? What would you add to the Smithsonian through this internship?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone interview, which was all that was required for the job. Different departments might have different hiring, but it's pretty easy for an intern.

Content Development & Strategy Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

No interview for this internship position. Positions offered based on qualifications. Office is always looking help for there is always work to be done. Supervisor and team are very helpful and enthusiastic about their work and its purpose. Slower-paced work environment.

Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

They contacted in 2-3 weeks .They took the interview & said they are interested & asked for written documents & technical paper. Then they did not replied back for months and when I did a follow up came to know they want to interview more people and reopened the position. Then after 4 months they said they are again interested and wanted me to come for second round of interview .In the second interview they said we downgraded the position for lower pay scale let us know if you are still interested. The salary they offered was less then what I am earning right now . so I declined the offer .

Interview Questions

• We have downgraded the position grade Are you still interested in joining the Company ?   Answer Question