Smyths Toys Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Smyths Toys Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2017

1.9

Deputy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Smyths Toys (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Was told they did not have much time for me as they were running late. They did not seem interested in anything I had to say. One step interview process but seemed rushed

Interview Questions

• A time when you have had to deal with disciplinary action   Answer Question

Duty Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smyths Toys in July 2017.

Interview

A quick chat about the store and my CV. The interviewer explained the role and what would be expected of me. They then questioned me on my CV and my current role with another company. They explained benefits and we discussed pay and hours.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were based on my CV rather than being competency based.   Answer Question

Graduate Programmer Retail Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Galway (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Smyths Toys (Galway (Ireland)) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online for the graduate programme and was invited to their asssment centre. On the day we had a few excercises, first introduce a person who is sitting on your left - they gave us questions to ask each other (including age - question which shouldn't be asked on any interview). Afterward we had to present a brief decription of the person beside us. Group ecercises were the marshmallow challenge, and we had to choose four people out of 10 from a list of which we would take with us on a spaceship, because the world is going to end. Individual excercise was a test, answer 36 questions in 10 minutes, questions were a mix of numerical, reasoning and literacy tests. After that, 15 minutes break and they were telling us who they are choosing to stay for an interview.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swansea, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Smyths Toys (Swansea, Wales (UK)).

Interview

Easy and got told there and then I had the job.. 1:1 interview with the duty manager. Asking about history etc etc. Offered me a job at the end of the interview. Took me for a tour of the shop and now I start in a week

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work for Smyth's   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smyths Toys (Birmingham, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

I had a call asking me to attend a recruitment event at a hotel, and asked me to bring my CV. When I got there, they took my name and checked that I had my CV, and then we were sat in groups and asked to complete a form.
    Once everyone had finished that, we started out with people bingo so everyone could get to know each other, and the winner was given a kinder egg.
    We were then split into three groups - one team did a short numeracy and literacy test, another team did a team building exercise (lego building), and the other did a customer service roleplay, and then we switched after each task.
    Then we were asked to wait in the bar area, and they started calling people back in one by one, either for a one on one interview or to send you home (I think?). I had a short one on one interview, which were mainly generic interview questions and explaining what the job was about.
    They then said they'd get back to me within 7 days and they called the next day to tell me I got the job!

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blackburn, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Smyths Toys (Blackburn, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Basic STAR questions and the general give an example of when you gave good customer service questions. There were a lot of questions about previous employment and customer service skills aswell. I applied online and got a response after a week, but didn't even get a call back.

Interview Questions

• If you were serving at the till and someone jumped ahead in the queue and an argument started, what would you do?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

Interview

I attended a recruitment day at a local hotel. We had an English and maths test and few team building activities. We all had to wait at the bar (result!) and was given 1-1 interviews

Christmas Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Smyths Toys (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in August 2016.

Interview

I was called in for a one-on-one interview with the manager. Very Relaxed interview. Straightforward questions, interviewer made me feel at ease throughout the whole process. Lasted about 15 minutes and was given a handout explaining what to do if I got the job (how to register myself as an employee). Got a call saying I had the job 2 days later. Didn't accept it in the end.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Smyths Toys (Leicester, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

A quick 10 minute interview at the Job centre, asking me questions about why and who I was etc.
    Chatted with 2 of the managers who were friendly and very talkative.
    Felt a little bit rushed however.

Overall not a bad experience and felt more like a relaxed conversation to get to know me rather than an intense interview.

Asked me which departments I'd be happy to work in.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smyths Toys (Leicester, England (UK)).

Interview

Very easy but long.
    Applied online by sending off my CV and Cover letter. Received a phone call 2 weeks later asking me to come in to a recruitment event. I thought it would be a small group given there were 3 sessions that day. Turns out there were a lot of people - at least 40 in my session. We were split into 3 groups and had to do 3 activities:
    1. Role play
    2. Build lego
    3. Maths and literacy test
    After this, we all went outside and sat until our names were called. When they called me in they offered me an interview and did it there and then ( short and sweet) and asked the generic questions. They told me in 2 days I would hear from them if successful.