Snips Interview Questions in Paris | Glassdoor

Interviews at Snips

3.8

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Snips (Paris (France)) in October 2017.

Interview

It's a startup with their own opinions of hiring process, and they published a blog explaining in detail how they hire people, you can find it on the internet. Still I want to share some experiences of mine for a backend engineer's role.

- The process began with a take-home challenge, it was a not very complex program to implement, but the description also listed a handful of bonus points, if you are a perfectionist, it could take a lot of time.

- Next step was to meet with the team, PM and CTO, etc. The people were friendly and the discussions were relaxing.

- The final round was a 2-day trial work, which they claimed to reflected their typical work, but I don't think that's very true, what I needed to do was a challenge with a set of requirements which they admitted to be a lot for just 2 days, what they expected of me was to do my best. In the end, I needed to present what I had done. As the workload was significant for the given time, I was occupied and didn't have much time to talk with people and get to know more about the company, rendering the experience a bit disappointing.

Got positive feedback after one week, but we couldn’t reach to an agreement on the compensation. My advice is to mention your salary expectation in the very beginning, because what they can offer might not be as competitive as what they claim in the job descriptions, it's just average in the market. What's more, they're not willing to provide any equity unless you play a "more senior" role, like an engineer with 4-year experience is not eligible to share the cake. Knowing this is an early-stage startup, a lack of equity is a huge downside.

Despite their confidence in their means of evaluating candidates, I find the whole process somehow controversial, especially the 2-day unpaid trial work, I doubt whether it's legal, even if it is, it's definitely not something convenient and makes you comfortable. Besides, it doesn't necessarily reflect their typical work, if their planning is to have a lot of goals that are impossible to deliver all within the time limit, and you should do as much as possible, think twice before you apply.

Overall the people were nice and professional, but the hiring process is too time-consuming and I don't think it's worth that amount of time. Unless it's really your dream company, there are many better choices.

Interview Questions

Snips Response

Apr 17, 2018 – HR & Finance director

We're very sorry it didn't work out at the end. This was a long discussion internally, as we didn't expect your salary expectations to be so high given your experience and background. At the end we... More

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Snips (Paris (France)) in February 2018.

Interview

Step 1. The Application Form
    We ask to fill a simple application form. If we want to know more, we just ask about it later during a face to face conversation.
    What we are actually really interested in are the answers we get to the other questions. For instance, we ask candidates to tell us about something they hacked. It doesn’t have to be software, it can be anything. What we look for here is a demonstration of creativity in getting stuff done with very little resources.
    We then ask about a project that they loved, and what challenges they had to solve on the way.
    We also ask about what they would like to achieve in the next 12 months.
    Finally, we ask them about their motivation to join the team.

Step 2. The Challenge
    This is my personal favorite. Once we selected candidates based on their application, we then send them a challenge based on the position they are applying for. For example, someone applying for a data science position will receive a real dataset and be asked to do something creative with it. They can use any tool, language and library they want, and supplement the data with any other sources. The goal for us is not to obtain a solution to the problem, but rather to see how creative people are in a real-life scenario.
    The challenge itself is hard enough that it takes several hours to complete, but easy enough that it doesn’t require a priori knowledge of the problem at hand. Most importantly, it assesses a candidate’s passion for the subject.
    Once we receive the challenge, we take a thorough look at it, and assess the following:
        creativity in attempting to solve the problem
        expertise in applying the right algorithms
        ability to clearly explain the approach taken
        quality of the code written
    By doing this challenge we found that only people that are truly passionate about what they do will take the time to complete the task. They will put extra efforts in nailing smaller details because they enjoy tackling the problem. Since we designed the challenges to be as close as possible to the actual stuff we face in our daily work, someone passionate about solving our challenge will most likely be a very good fit.
    Many applicants end up dropping out of the process at that stage, which is good, since we can then focus on the really passionate ones ;-)

Step 3. The Technical Interview
    If we like the challenge and have a good feel for a candidate, we invite them to come meet our team and have a technical interview. The goal here is to dig deep into the knowledge of the candidates, and see what they would need to learn before they can become operational.
    We know whiteboard interviews are not always the best way to assess the fit for engineers, so we never ask things like coding the A* algorithm as if it were a computer science exam — although we value deep algorithmic & theoretical computer-science knowledge.
    What we do instead is try have a very deep discussion about a technical problem we are facing as a company. It helps us assess:
        the technical depth of the candidate
        human skills, communication skills and cultural fit
        creativity, thinking speed, and pragmatism of solution
        ability to pick up new concepts
    Successful candidates often provide very useful insights into the problems we are having. They enjoy the discussion, and it generally feels more like an extremely interesting and deep discussion rather than a technical interview.

Step 4. The Reference Check
    If the team likes the candidate, we ask for at least 2 references, which must be people the candidate has worked with. Although we didn’t do that in the beginning (it’s kind of cumbersome honestly), we have now started being very diligent about it, as we found it to be a great source of insights on a candidate.
    During the reference call, we go deep and try to understand how the candidate solves problem, works in a team, what their qualities and shortcomings are. What we want to find out are the hidden qualities or red flags.

Step 5. The Hacking Trial
    Based on the previous steps, the team determines whether the candidate would be a good fit, in which case they get invited for a trial period at our Paris office. The trial lasts 2 days, during which we must ship something together.
    This trial period aims at testing both how productive the person is when working on hard problems, as well as if they are a good fit for the company and the current team. This of course works both ways, and gives candidates a good idea of what their life at Snips would be like.
    Culture fit is in fact so important that we now have a simple rule: when there is a doubt, there is no doubt. To put it simply, you cannot “become” a Snipster. Either you are one naturally and the team embraces you, or you aren’t.
    Finally, We Celebrate!

Interview Questions

• Prepare a market analysis of Snips product.
      Where does Snips best fit if we want to focus on 2-3 industries.
      Which industry would bring most successes in the next 6 months.
      etc.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Snips (Paris (France)) in February 2018.

Interview

1. You submit a form answering some questions on yourself as a human (not just a potential employee) on motivations, projects that have made you proud, etc.
    2. If selected, you are asked to complete a challenge at home - mostly related to the work you'll be doing.
    3. If selected, you go for an interview with the team and senior management.
    4. If selected, you go to work with them for a 2-day trial at the end of which the candidate needs to deliver a presentation on a particular project (s)he has been involved in. During the trial both parts assess if there's a match.

Interview Questions

• Tell us places or contexts where you think it makes most sense to have a voice assistant. And in which ones don't you see one at all?   1 Answer

Corporate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Snips (Paris (France)) in July 2017.

Interview

Après avoir complété un formulaire en ligne (ce qui était sans doute le plus long pour moi), entretien détaillé, challenge à résoudre lors d'un deuxième entretien, 2 jours de trial (comme une réunion avec debrief sur 2 jours), références, puis offre.
    Le process peut sembler long, mais en fait, il n'y a qu'un seul entretien officiel (avec éventuellement 2 ou 3 personnes concernées), puis les 2 jours de trial, qui confirment qu'on a bien envie de travailler ensemble.
    C'est assez intéressant pour un candidat de pouvoir observer une entreprise pendant quelques temps et de voir si on s'y plairait ou pas.
    J'ai reçu une offre à la fin de la semaine de mon trial et elle correspondait à ce dont nous avions discuté pendant le processus.
    Ca change des process où 3 entretiens sont annoncés, on finit par en faire 4 ou 5, et on découvre ensuite qu'on est toujours sur une shortlist, et pas le dernier candidat.

Interview Questions

• Pourriez-vous venir 2 jours comme une période d'essai pour la suite du process?   1 Answer

Embedded Software Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Snips (Paris (France)) in April 2018.

Interview

- Formulaire de candidature en ligne;
    - Challenge technique envoyé par mail;
    - Entretien technique et de personnalité;
    - 2 jours de challenge au sein de l'entreprise.
    L'entreprise est très arrangeante quand au calendrier de ce processus.