Sobeys Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sobeys Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

2.0

Procurement Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sobeys (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

Worst interview process ever.. received an email asking when I was available. I gave a few choices but no one ever confirmed anything... then I was called at the wrong time. Screening was pretty simple and to the point. I then received an email telling me when my in person interview was and what time.. didn't have a choice or anything. Interview was tough and painfully enduring and not very welcoming. I just wanted to walk out. Never received an email that I didn't get a job although I was told I would.. not likely to apply for any job there again. Probably one of the worst processes I've encountered.

Interview Questions

• What are our brands?   1 Answer
    • A lot of behavioral/situational questions...... just kept drilling for answers.   1 Answer

Bakery Clerk Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sobeys in May 2011.

Interview

Very extensive. Individual interviews initially and if you pass those (they'll tell you right away) then you move on to a huge group interview. Includes using their flyer to create a meal (in groups), getting given a product to "sell" to the rest of the group and getting put in pairs to role pay an angry customer and an employee. They called me personally nearly a week or so later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Take it or leave it

Accounting Clerk Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sobeys.

Interview

Behavioural based questions were asked for this process. Have you ever had an experience with...? What would you do if you get an irate customer? What would you say are your weaknesses?

Interview Questions

• Have you had to work in a team dynamic? Give an example of how you took part. Leader? Researcher? Etc...   Answer Question

Negotiation

No real negotiation. Asked about hours available etc.. They made an offer and I accepted.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in East York, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sobeys (East York, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

I sent in my resume and couple of days later I received a call from the manager wishing to conduct a phone interview or questionnaire with me. She asked three questions on the phone. 1) Why are you applying to this specific store? 2) How would you approach customers? 3) What is customer service to you?

After the phone interview or questionnaire, the manager asked me to come to the store to have a face to face interview. Altogether the phone interview or questionnaire and the face to face interview took place within the week.

The face to face interview was very basic and lasted approximately 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Can you list out three of your strength?
      What is your definition of customer service?
      Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sobeys (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in December 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and was called for an interview within a week. I met with the District Manager and Human Resources. I was interviewed at their head office in a conference room. It was quite comfortable. The questions were reasonable, although some of the perks and bonuses were not as easily obtained as suggested

Interview Questions

• Customer service and administration were the primary topics at the interview. The company relies heavily on its managers to complete and submit a significant amount of paperwork. My previous job had been focused on customer service, Sobeys would be a switch of priorities.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had significant special and relevant skills and knowledge, negotiation was fairly simple.

Deli Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sobeys (Edmonton, AB (Canada)).

Interview

Very easy and clear. They called me for the interview, then both the store manager and the department manager interviewed me. They ask me about my experience and education. About NY customer service abilities. A few days later they called me to offer me the position.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sobeys (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

got phone interview from HR. HR was nice and the questions are normal. Then asked to join the site interview. people are nice but some technical questions on site interview were tough.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about us? Why sobeys?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sobeys in July 2015.

Interview

I applied in store with my resume and application.
    A couple weeks later I was called and asked a 3 questions over the phone.
    "Why Sobeys?" "Do you have any related experience?" and one other easy one I can't recall.
    Then I was asked to come in for an interview the following week.
    Thanks to others on this website I was given a heads up that it would likely be a group interview, and it was!
    So went upstairs with 6 other candidates and sat around a large table. I didn't know it at the time but the people conducting the interview were the front end manager and the manager of the deli department.
    NOTHING was individually asked to me, NOTHING regarding my resume or previous work. EVERYTHING about the interview came from the 3 activities we did.
    On the table in front of us was a sheet of blank paper and the current weeks flyer.
    BEFORE we did the activities the front end manager went over what sobers aim is, and a few of their policies and procedures.
    1st activity - Look at the flyer and create a plan for a full meal, keeping in mind that sobeys aims to healthy living. We wrote down our different meal ideas wishing 5 or so minutes then we went around the table 1 by 1 and shared them. So if you're at the end someone may have also wrote down something very similar to you and have already amazed them by the idea orr you can just consider it as more time to think.
    2nd activity - There was a basket with some grocery items (all our compliments or sensations brand) in them and it was passed around the table and you were told to choose one. (again you can get screwed over if at the end) Then we were asked to "sell it" to the group with interactions from the managers leading the interview. For this I had a box of k cups. I said something along the lines of "Hey, have you had a chance to try the _________ k cups? It's sensations brand, so it's similar to the our compliments store brand but sensations products are a little more luxurious. This is a medium roast coffee blend that comes in a package of 12 k cups. Do you drink coffee? *they responded yes* What kind do you normally drink? *they answered something i forgot, but a brand and they used k cups*" I quoted the flavour/taste description from the box, pointed out the price and how many cups you got compared 'some other brands' that have a higher cost and only come in boxes of 8 or so. Asked them if they'd be interested in trying it out instead of their regular coffee, they seemed unsure and I asked why they were iffy, she said what if she didn't like it. I pointed out that sobers has a great return policy, although we don't want customers to abuse it, we value our loyal customers and want to ensure their happiness, so if she bought this coffee had a few of the pods and really didn't like it, she could return it for her money back and get the coffee she usually buys instead. They seemed happy.
    Someone else got diapers, another got sensations italian soda, someone got cookies.
    3rd activity - cue cards were passed out and each had a different scenario on it and we role played (from our seats with the interviewer) our scenario. One person had if someone complained about a rotten watermelon, another if something scanned up wrong at the register. Everyone had to do it so it wasn't too bad, and really just remember that the store wants to make the customer happy and if you are unsure tell the "customer" you have to check with your supervisor. (in which case the other interviewer played the role of your supervisor...so kinda like good cop bad cop )
    Then we were to give them 3 references. and yes they actually called the references.

Interview Questions

• If a customer came in and complained about a rotten watermelon they'd bought what would you do to help them?   1 Answer

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brampton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sobeys (Brampton, ON (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

2 stages. Stage 1 was quick interview asked basic questions. Step 2 was harder. Step 2 had 3 stations. Station 1: role play, station 2: sell this to me, station 3: make a meal from menu items

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your work experience, why would you be a good fit?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sobeys (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

Group Interview of 12. First, we had to make a meal from items displayed on the Sobeys flyer within two minutes and describe it to everyone. Second, we had to select a product and try to sell it to the interviewer. Third, we had to enact different situations involving unsatisfied customers.