Socalgas Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 3, 2017

2.7

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Socalgas (Redlands, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was called in for an on-site interview at the Redland facility and was interviewed by three engineers. One was the engineering supervisor at that particular facility and the other two were engineers with around 1 - 2 years of experience with the company. They did a great job to make me feel comfortable and were very professional. I received a call later that day and set up an informal follow up meeting with my interviewers. This was a chance for them to get to know me more in a more casual setting and I was able to ask more about the position and the company. I then received a phone call around 1 to 2 weeks later, being informed that I did not get the position.

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Compton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Socalgas (Compton, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Got interviewed for Associate Engineer twice among 3 years. First time just one interview at Energy Resource Center in Downey, and no second interview. Second time I got the second interview at Compton. Basically for all interviews, just tell me about yourself, why we should hire you and all other behavioral questions in a SHARE format. I doubt how much my answers to these behavioral questions can affect their hiring decisions. Especially for the second time, I didn't prepare much but I was selected for the second interview; while I didn't get the offer after a great performance on the second interview. In my experience, their hiring decisions are a little random.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Socalgas (Anaheim, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

two interviewers where there for me. All type of behavioral questions. Their working environment there is to be friendly so try to twist you questions around to fit their working motto of working environment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your urgent situation at work or school and how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Socalgas.

Interview

The process was a little odd as far as the standard. You are asked to do an assessment test and if you pass the test, you are then ask for a list of 4 or more reference. This is prior to an actual interview. Usually, you are asked for your references after the interview and if they would like to move to the next step and or consider you for the position. I was finally called in after the reference checks and the interview was quite exhausting. You are asked the standard HR hypothetical questions and later questions regarding your resume. I later found out that the person interviewing me was not the hiring manager. But someone at the same level as the position I was interviewing for at the company. A little strange. After the interview, I had time to think about whether I wanted to work there and I'm a little hesitate. That is why I wished they hadn't done the references prior to this step. Because I put my contacts through a lot of work with time a effort for a position I'm not sure I'm interesting in after the interview. However, the people in the general area at the company seem pretty nice.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Compton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Socalgas (Compton, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by 5 engineers and it last 1 hour and a half. Each person interviewing me asked me 2 questions and I had technical questions at the end. Technical questions included around 4 questions, all in Excel.

Interview Questions

• 1. Adaptability: One time you have worked with someone with a strong personality and how did you manage to work with them?
      2. Integrity: When have you worked in a team and how did you manage to establish integrity?
      3. It’s hard to practice what you preach. Tell us one time when you’ve had trouble doing something you tell others to do.
      4. A time when you have had to step back and look at the bigger picture, instead of looking at smaller things.
      5. When have you worked in teams and learned from others.
      Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Socalgas (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

It was a panel-tape interview where they asked general questions in order to gauge my responses based on my experiences based on the type of questions they asked me. They basically asked general purpose type questions to gauge my responses where the response was neither right or wrong. They just wanted to see how I would be able to react to different question based on my experiences

Interview Questions

• Have you ever encountered a situation where someone did not have any integrity and was basically cheating in order to get on they work they were supposed to do?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Socalgas (Redlands, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The company hiring process is intensely involved with connection / internal networking. Personality Quiz was sent out to top candidates before an in-person interview is conducted. Panel interview with 1 supervisor and 2 regional associate engineers. Around 10 questions asked mostly focused on factual + behavioral.

Management Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Socalgas (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Took me over 2 months. Did not get a phone interview. They just let me do a personal assessment. Most of the questions were behavior. I guess they just wanted to see if the candidate matched their culture. Then invited onsite. Two rounds of tough behavior questions drove me crazy.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when your supervisor's order was vague and you had no idea how to do the job.   Answer Question

OD Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Socalgas (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

First stage in a personality test that may or may not be related to the job. Face-to-face interview about 6 weeks later-- standard questions but not probing enough to determine person-job fit nor to disabuse the notion of subjectivity.

Interview Questions

• Describe for me a situation you had to overcome and how you managed it.   1 Answer

Region Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Socalgas (Downey, CA).

Interview

The interview consisted of a hiring panel of three managers from different departments. It was a bit of a cattle call with a number of candidates filing through. There were two sets of interviews going on with different hiring panels. I got the sense that they interview many candidates regularly and if a manager is interested they will select that person. It is like an audition. It was as if the hiring managers didn't pre-screen the applications. The questions were not technical. They asked a lot of "what if" questions. They focused on situational questions.

I was disappointed that I didn't get an offer. One of the hiring managers kept making comments about how well I could fit into his work group.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest mistake or failure you've had on a task and how did you handle it?   Answer Question