Social Security Administration Attorney Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Social Security Administration Attorney Advisor Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2017

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

One in-person interview. They had a script with questions and did not veer from it for anything. There were three Senior Attorney Advisors in the room asking the questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you disagreed with a supervisor on an issue. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • How do you keep yourself motivated to complete a task if there are no deadlines?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Social Security Administration

Attorney Advisor Interview

Interview

Phone Interview, standard questions, started with an opening and closing by the interviewer describing the job and asking if you are a citizen and if you are willing to relocate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your supervisor and how you handled it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a difficult legal issue you encounter and how you handled it?   Answer Question

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Application- referral- interview with option of appearing in person or over the phone. I opted for in person. There were 3 interviewers and 5-6 Behavioral questions and details about the job and benefits.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background and why you want to work for SSA?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to work in a group and someone wasn't doing their part? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What course of action would you take if your supervisor reached a conclusion you didn't agree with?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to research a difficult issue- how did you go about writing an the opinion?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle a heavy work load?   Answer Question

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2017.

Interview

Applied through a site other than USAJOBS. Emailed resume, cover letter, references as requested to email address provided. Was emailed about a week letter to set up a phone interview for the following week. The interview was conducted by two managing attorneys. It only lasted about 20 minutes. My references were called a few days later, but I was never contacted with an offer or notification of non-offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you react if you felt the ALJ recommended a decision that you did not feel was supported by substantial evidence?   Answer Question

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

In Person- it lasted about an hour. Fairly straight forward no curve balls. The person was very straight forward with me from the beginning. I emailed the app and they called me in to come the next week.

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Emailed that I was selected for an interview, and informed to be available over the next few days for a phone interview. No specific time/date provided. Two people from SSA called me. It was a very formulaic interview, and they had set questions that they were required to ask. Long periods of awkward silence as they wrote down the answers. Sometimes it was difficulty because they would ask two part questions that were completely unrelated. Phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. Received an email job offer a couple of weeks after that.

Application

Interview

Hiring took a long time from moment applied to getting actual interview. The federal government moves at a slow pace. The interview was fairly standard with standard questions. Interview with one person or sometimes multiple people. The interviewers read from a script. The interview process took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation you encountered and what did you do to resolve the problem?   Answer Question

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in July 2015.

Interview

Received a phone interview about three weeks after applying. The interview lasted about 30 mins long. There were three people on the conference call and they all took turns asking a total of 8 scripted behavioral questions (e.g., describe a conflict that you had with a coworker and how you handled it; describe a time when you disagreed with a supervisor's course of action and how you handled it; discuss a time when you were given more work than you had time to complete and how you handled it, etc.). Still have not heard back about whether I received an in-person interview but I was told that if I received one, the in-person interview would be scheduled two weeks from my phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Jose, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The process took less than a month. I interviewed over the phone with three or four currently attorneys/administrators at the Social Security Administration. The interview took about 30 minutes and I answered about 5-6 questions. Most of the questions were behavioral in nature. Some were pretty basic, asking me if I was comfortable using the computer and to list the computer programs I was comfortable with. (Microsoft word, excel, etc.)

The questions seemed scripted and there were often long pauses after my answer as the administrators took notes. Overall, the process felt awkward. I did not have time to really introduce myself or explain why I was a good candidate. Instead I answered their pre-scripted questions.

Interview Questions

• 1) Have you ever disagreed with a supervisor's course of action? If so, how did you handle it?
      2) Have you ever had a time when you were given more work than you had time to complete? If so, how did you handle it?
      3) How comfortable are you with computer programs?
      4) In your own words, describe this position and it's role in the Agency....
      Answer Question

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Interviews were conducted approximately three weeks after the application deadline. Applications were sent to a regional office in Atlanta, though the position was in a small office in Kentucky. Interviews were conducted by a supervisor in the local Kentucky office via telephone. The interviewer asked me to tell him about myself. I gave a brief description of my background including: where I was born, what schools I attended, highlights of activities in which I participated while in school, and work experience. I highlighted activities and experiences which related to my ability to do the job. The interviewer then gave information about the job, including responsibilities and benefits. Finally, he followed with 5-6 questions. The questions are all behavioral -based (i.e. describe a time that...). Following the interview, he told me that he would make recommendations to his supervisor, before sending the recommendation to the hiring office.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Social Security Administration? What makes you a good candidate? What weaknesses do you have?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of a time you had to deal with conflict in the workplace. How did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • What does excellent customer service mean to you? How would you provide it?   1 Answer
    • Have you dealt with someone being dishonest in work or school? How did you deal with the issue?   1 Answer