Social Security Administration Claims Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Social Security Administration Claims Representative Interview Questions

3.1

39 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Claims Representative Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was stressful. The panel would ask me a question then when I started to answer the question One of the interviewers would cut me off and would say but what would you have done differently? I wasn't sure how to take that. After the interview was over I knew I didn't get the job, but boy was I wrong. Immediately after interview I was asked to go do my finger printing downtown. Took about a week to get my finger printing and background check completed then I accepted the final job offer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Social Security Administration

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Two interviewers; meet and deal interview. Asked behavioral questions and situational questions about situations you are in and what you would do. Told you about the position and to be yourself

Anonymous Employee in Uniontown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Uniontown, PA) in January 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed by 10 managers at the same time. Not cool. It made me think how many managers does it take to make a decision and who was running the office while I was being interviewed? Management was initially friendly at the beginning but that changed very quickly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary and grade levels were advertised. Once hired your salary is available to the public online.

Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Lawrence, KS) in April 2014.

Interview

Situational questions, such as, "Tell us about a time when you worked with a difficult person", or, "Tell us about a time when you worked as part of a team".
    First interview was remote, by phone, with a panel. Second interview was in person, 3-person panel of managers.

Initially I was NOT hired. I had to wait many weeks and call many times to find out. Although I had been scouted directly out of college for the position, they were very condescending in telling me that my resume wasn't long enough when they decided not to hire me. Then, much to my surprise, they called several weeks later to say that their chosen candidate decided not to take the job, so they were forced to offer it to me. Needless to say, this set the tone for a tense, unhappy work environment.

Interview Questions

• Pretend that you're a claims rep and I'm an upset customer. How would you tell then that they're not eligible for benefits?   Answer Question
    • How do you communicate with people from different backgrounds, some of whom don't speak your language?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Diego, CA).

Interview

SSA was tabling at a UCSD job fair and I gave them my resume. They contacted me a week later and I interviewed with them twice. The first interview was with two people in an SSA office, the second interview was a panel of managers downtown. They asked a lot of situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult professional situation and how did you react.   Answer Question
    • Pick a topic and teach the panel about it.   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2015.

Interview

The interview is a panel style interview from management and those that train you in the SSA office. They ask a series of questions based on the position. They also ask questions based on your personal work history and education experience. The interview process was a two-part interview in the same day, but it lasted around an hour.

Interview Questions

• Q. Describe how you handled a situation with a difficult team member or co-worker.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

After requested documents were collected, I was interviewed by two managers. They gave a description of the job and explained the interview process which includes going through scenarios a claims representative may face on the job, like a role play to demonstrate how I would handle the situation. Some interview questions include describe a time you had to deal with an irate customer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to help an irate customer.
      What was the most difficult decision you've had to make?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Columbus, OH) in March 2009.

Interview

I originally was an intern for two colleges during the summer. When I graduated I asked about potential openings and was notified they were hiring.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult challenge you have faced, and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as salaries are set by the union and federal government.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Saint Louis, MO) in January 2010.

Interview

The aptitude test was very difficult and I understood that out of 240 people taking it, only 40 people passed it. The interview was much harder. They gave me the wrong office number (I think on purpose) and there was no one in the lobby to redirect me and they were not listed on the plaque of offices either. Then, when I got there four people were in the room. There was one who was totally silent, one good cop, one bad cop, and one who tried to illicit responses. All took notes. Bad cop pounced on me right out of the gate making me believe that I should show no empathy with SSI applicants - then, at the end one did a poor acting job as a turned down applicant and I was supposed to respond. It was all a sham. They also ask what do you do if someone who is repeatedly turned down for SSI and threatens to commit suicide to you? What do you do if you work in a gas station and there is a non-perishable food delivery out back, a long line of customers, you need to call another worker to come help - in what order do you deal with this? Many silly questions, and they were passing inside jokes after I gave some of my answers- don't ever say that you will send a memo out to communicate something with coworkers- they really joked about that. I felt like I had been through some type of strange psychological experiment when it was done, and I don't think I would want to work for any of the people in that room, except for maybe the bad actor. I imagine it is a good job, but SSA is going broke quickly- it may only be a five or ten year job anyway.

Interview Questions

• If someone who is repeatedly turned down for benefits and threaten to commit suicide, what do you do?   Answer Question
    • A client with three kids d who are behaving wildly cannot pay attention to what you are telling him/her, what do you do?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2010.

Interview

I interviewed by phone with several people. Although some of the questions were difficult and challenging, the people were very friendly and answered my questions thoroughly.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you are able to manage stressful situations and juggle multiple priorities at the same time.   Answer Question