Social Security Administration Claims Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Social Security Administration Claims Representative Interview Questions

Updated Oct 31, 2016

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Uniontown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Uniontown, PA) in January 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed by 10 managers at the same time. Not cool. It made me think how many managers does it take to make a decision and who was running the office while I was being interviewed? Management was initially friendly at the beginning but that changed very quickly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary and grade levels were advertised. Once hired your salary is available to the public online.

Other Interview Reviews for Social Security Administration

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Cherry Hill, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

Interview was relaxed, fingerprinted, references called two weeks later. Was told I would hear something the middle of May. Still waiting hopeful the job is very important helping impact the lives of others.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself?, Tell us about a time you deal with a hostile customer. What was the outcome ? Give an example of a negative outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Carbondale, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

Had 1st interview. Got a call for District Mgr. I met with a panel of two Dm's and another employee from the hiring office. Very friendly and positive setting. Described the job and benefits. Asked about 5 questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about you. What's your story.   Answer Question
    • Tell us why you want the position. What do you like about it.   Answer Question
    • What would you bring to the table. What is your strength.   Answer Question
    • Data entry is an important part of the position. Do you have a familiarity with computers and office equipment? Can you type with both hands?   Answer Question
    • Had me read a piece of policy and give a quick summary of what I just read.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Jamaica, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

The questions posted here at Glassdoor pretty much covered my questions. The two interviewers read from a script. They were very friendly and cordial, and professional.

That being said, I want to EMPHASIZE the need to get your documentation in order. The hiring manager is a perfectionist who kept returning to the meeting room to ask job candidates for missing documents, such as resume, selective registration (for males born after 1960; link was provided in email from HR), college transcript (even though it was optional and only if you had 3.0 GPA), proof of citizenship, social security card, etc. I got the sense that he will use these missing documents as a method to whittle down the applicants he will consider hiring. I also believe the hiring manager selected questions to ask candidates based on his personal review of your documentation. Thus, it is CRITICAL to ensure that every item on the checklist that is applicable to you is included when you show up for the interview. Even ONE SINGLE MISSING DOCUMENT could effectively remove you from contention for a job offer.

The position was listed on usajob website and held open for 48 hours at the beginning of March, and only the first 500 applications were accepted. SSA was conducting 200 interviews, and I don't know how many offers will be made.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Dealing with difficult coworkers. Communicating with people of different background. General work background questions. Two scenarios at the end.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Houston, TX) in May 2012.

Interview

Behavioral questions mainly asked,you get a panel interview and phone interview, I suggest you research the company website. Also dress conservative. Read their mission as this is a job that requires you to be compassionate with your customers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Diego, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Found the recruiters at a career fair at MCRD San Diego in Feb. Chatted with them a bit, gave them my resume, and was contacted by the district hiring manager to set up an interview a week later. Interview didn't lasted more than 15 minutes. Interviewed with three managers from various office. They asked me performance base questions. Followed up with the district hiring manager the following week to find out about my status. Was told that SSA won't be making any hiring decisions come May. It is a long, drawn out process with the federal government.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you used good judgment and decision-making in solving a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Lawrence, KS) in April 2014.

Interview

Situational questions, such as, "Tell us about a time when you worked with a difficult person", or, "Tell us about a time when you worked as part of a team".
    First interview was remote, by phone, with a panel. Second interview was in person, 3-person panel of managers.

Initially I was NOT hired. I had to wait many weeks and call many times to find out. Although I had been scouted directly out of college for the position, they were very condescending in telling me that my resume wasn't long enough when they decided not to hire me. Then, much to my surprise, they called several weeks later to say that their chosen candidate decided not to take the job, so they were forced to offer it to me. Needless to say, this set the tone for a tense, unhappy work environment.

Interview Questions

• Pretend that you're a claims rep and I'm an upset customer. How would you tell then that they're not eligible for benefits?   Answer Question
    • How do you communicate with people from different backgrounds, some of whom don't speak your language?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

There was only a phone interview. If I had seen the office and the environment, I probably would not have taken the job. I was interviewed over the phone with the manager and supervisors. I was asked questions based on the job duties. The job description is misleading and does not provide complete information regarding job duties.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what would I do when speaking with someone from a different culture and background who may not be as proficient in English.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Diego, CA).

Interview

SSA was tabling at a UCSD job fair and I gave them my resume. They contacted me a week later and I interviewed with them twice. The first interview was with two people in an SSA office, the second interview was a panel of managers downtown. They asked a lot of situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult professional situation and how did you react.   Answer Question
    • Pick a topic and teach the panel about it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hickory, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Hickory, NC) in May 2011.

Interview

Had one round of interview and it was panel interview. The interview was short, but the process of government doing background check and etc took 60 days. There is lot of red tape in working for government to get the resource I need. I got the job and worked for an year

Interview Questions

• Gave me a real life situation and asked what my respond will be in regards to their benefit check being lost in mail.   Answer Question