Social Security Administration Attorney-Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Social Security Administration Attorney-Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Jan 26, 2017

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

In Person- it lasted about an hour. Fairly straight forward no curve balls. The person was very straight forward with me from the beginning. I emailed the app and they called me in to come the next week.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Social Security Administration

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Emailed that I was selected for an interview, and informed to be available over the next few days for a phone interview. No specific time/date provided. Two people from SSA called me. It was a very formulaic interview, and they had set questions that they were required to ask. Long periods of awkward silence as they wrote down the answers. Sometimes it was difficulty because they would ask two part questions that were completely unrelated. Phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. Received an email job offer a couple of weeks after that.

Application

Interview

Hiring took a long time from moment applied to getting actual interview. The federal government moves at a slow pace. The interview was fairly standard with standard questions. Interview with one person or sometimes multiple people. The interviewers read from a script. The interview process took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation you encountered and what did you do to resolve the problem?   Answer Question

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in July 2015.

Interview

Received a phone interview about three weeks after applying. The interview lasted about 30 mins long. There were three people on the conference call and they all took turns asking a total of 8 scripted behavioral questions (e.g., describe a conflict that you had with a coworker and how you handled it; describe a time when you disagreed with a supervisor's course of action and how you handled it; discuss a time when you were given more work than you had time to complete and how you handled it, etc.). Still have not heard back about whether I received an in-person interview but I was told that if I received one, the in-person interview would be scheduled two weeks from my phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Jose, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The process took less than a month. I interviewed over the phone with three or four currently attorneys/administrators at the Social Security Administration. The interview took about 30 minutes and I answered about 5-6 questions. Most of the questions were behavioral in nature. Some were pretty basic, asking me if I was comfortable using the computer and to list the computer programs I was comfortable with. (Microsoft word, excel, etc.)

The questions seemed scripted and there were often long pauses after my answer as the administrators took notes. Overall, the process felt awkward. I did not have time to really introduce myself or explain why I was a good candidate. Instead I answered their pre-scripted questions.

Interview Questions

• 1) Have you ever disagreed with a supervisor's course of action? If so, how did you handle it?
      2) Have you ever had a time when you were given more work than you had time to complete? If so, how did you handle it?
      3) How comfortable are you with computer programs?
      4) In your own words, describe this position and it's role in the Agency....
      Answer Question

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Interviews were conducted approximately three weeks after the application deadline. Applications were sent to a regional office in Atlanta, though the position was in a small office in Kentucky. Interviews were conducted by a supervisor in the local Kentucky office via telephone. The interviewer asked me to tell him about myself. I gave a brief description of my background including: where I was born, what schools I attended, highlights of activities in which I participated while in school, and work experience. I highlighted activities and experiences which related to my ability to do the job. The interviewer then gave information about the job, including responsibilities and benefits. Finally, he followed with 5-6 questions. The questions are all behavioral -based (i.e. describe a time that...). Following the interview, he told me that he would make recommendations to his supervisor, before sending the recommendation to the hiring office.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Social Security Administration? What makes you a good candidate? What weaknesses do you have?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of a time you had to deal with conflict in the workplace. How did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • What does excellent customer service mean to you? How would you provide it?   1 Answer
    • Have you dealt with someone being dishonest in work or school? How did you deal with the issue?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Chicago, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

There are the same questions for each interview it is standardized. I did an interview with three people, assistance regional judge and two department heads. About 5 questions, you are rated numerically as well. They want you to answer quickly too, spending too much time on a question is not good. Give a scenario/problem and how you addressed it.

Negotiation

Job is flat rate offer based on experience, no negotiation unless you can show additional education or skill set.

Application

Interview

I was referred to the hiring official about 2 weeks after applying on USAJOBS. I received an email telling me I had moved to the next stage of the process, which was an interview, one month after the vacancy closed.

The intervew was by phone and they said they would call me at my provided phone number on one of three days. No time range given, no offer to allow me to give a preferred date or time. So three days of sitting by the phone, trying to get ready to switch into interview at a moment's notice. Not exactly fun, but at least everyone else interviewing was suffering as well.

The interview was conducted by a senior supervisory attorney as well as an ALJ. Both were very pleasant, but the interview was a scripted set of questions, which didn't allow for building of rapport. They warned me at the start of the interview that it was scripted and not to take any silence as a bad sign--that they needed to make detailed notes. That was a great thing to know before starting.

They asked 5 questions total, some with multiple parts. Mostly scenario type questions--"Describe a time where you disagreed with a superior's decision. How did you address it?"

The entire interview lasted about 45 minutes, with a period for me to ask questions at the end. I did a little closing argument/summary of my skills and interest of the position, which they seemed to respond positively too.

Overall, not a bad experience for a phone interview (my least favorite). The warmth and enthusiasm of the interviewers was a major factor. A time frame of a few hours rather than THREE DAYS would make things a lot less stressful for future applicants.

Interview Questions

• The first question was: "In your own words, describe this position and it's role in the Agency." Do your research on the organizational charts etc. on the SSA website. That one almost threw me right out of the gate.   Answer Question

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Applied on USA Jobs. Received email that phone interviews would be held during three days, and that they would call me at some point during those three days. Interview lasted 15 minutes. The interviewers read from a script. Standard questions - why do I want to work in public service/SSA and some behavioral questions. Interview was almost 3 weeks ago -- haven't heard anything.

Interview Questions

• Some behavioral questions about managing your workload and disagreeing with superiors   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Washington, DC) in April 2014.

Interview

applied online, then later a phone interview. The whole process took about two months. I was interview by three people. The interview process was straightforward. The interview was very conversational not overly rigid.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you make a recommendation but your supervisor disagrees?   Answer Question