Social Security Administration Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Social Security Administration Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Buffalo, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

sitting for several hours and a lot of writing. Asking and sharing many questions to answers chosen/selected when prompted. Interviewers take turn asking questions and the interviewers writ response on their interview sheet.

Interview Questions

• what was a typical day at work at previous job   1 Answer

Claims Representative Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was stressful. The panel would ask me a question then when I started to answer the question One of the interviewers would cut me off and would say but what would you have done differently? I wasn't sure how to take that. After the interview was over I knew I didn't get the job, but boy was I wrong. Immediately after interview I was asked to go do my finger printing downtown. Took about a week to get my finger printing and background check completed then I accepted the final job offer.

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Two interviewers; meet and deal interview. Asked behavioral questions and situational questions about situations you are in and what you would do. Told you about the position and to be yourself

Anonymous Employee in Uniontown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Uniontown, PA) in January 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed by 10 managers at the same time. Not cool. It made me think how many managers does it take to make a decision and who was running the office while I was being interviewed? Management was initially friendly at the beginning but that changed very quickly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary and grade levels were advertised. Once hired your salary is available to the public online.

Claims Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was pleasant. I was asked 10 questions, some scenario, some direct questions and found the experience was beneficial for both sides. The interviewers took turns asking questions and were patient reviewing my answers. Having some knowledge of basic benefits helped me tremendously as preparation for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me some of the basic forms of identification used to properly identify a person?   Answer Question

Social Insurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Euclid, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Euclid, OH).

Interview

My first encounter with SSA was at a college job fair about 3 months from graduation. The lady there was dressed to the nines and seemed a little snobby. I later found out she was a manager. Haha. She had a poker face and seemed uninterested taking everyone's resume. I thought I wouldn't hear from them.

I received an email a couple weeks later that directed me to their web testing site. I took a damn long 2 or more hour long personality assessment test that keeps on asking the same Q's till it gets your true feelings... can't be a faker on that test.

A couple weeks later, I went in for a panel interview and the snobby lady was there again, this time she seemed nice but tough. There were 5 or 6 managers and experts present. First each asked a question, then I was given an complex law with many points and about 3 minutes to digest it, then I was asked to apply that to a scenario and another 4-5 grilling questions. I felt good about it but wasn't perfect.

Maybe a month later, as another employer had interest in me, I was called for an interview at a semi local office with what turned out to be the Regional hiring manager and the branch manager. It was maybe 30 minutes long. 4-5 questions more on how I handle stress and the public...also on personality.

Next, a couple weeks later, I had to drive an hour away to what turned out being my field office where I was informally interviewed by what was to be my Manager. She asked Q's more on personality and after she took me to get fingerprinted.

Almost 3 months passed and I was already working as an assistant manager in training at Target and he Regional manager called to ask if I was still interested and if so, I report to training in 2 weeks.

I accepted. As a scholar, with a b.a. in politics sci, I was a GS-7 and went thru long and complicated training class via satellite from Atlanta then toughed it out to GS- 11 step 3 before resigning due to the immense stress.

Interview Questions

• How I would handle a difficult situation.   1 Answer

Disability Claims Adjudicator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trenton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Trenton, NJ) in November 2015.

Interview

It was more of an oral exam than traditional interview. Six situational questions were asked but with some overlap with the traditional interview questions. Be sure to include some prep about customer service. There was no discussion of my resume, but they did spend time with me answering my questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed at the New York 48th street location. This position is no joke. The interview was highly intense. But nothing to be scared of if you go in prepared to talk about difficult times and stressful situations that you've faced. They ask you series of 7 questions mostly behavioral and whatever answer you provide they build their questions from that. It lasted 1 1/2 hrs aprxm...

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation where you had to face a difficult situation and what did you do about it what was the outcome ? Tell me another... Tell me about a time you were in a stressful situation what did u do about it... Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision..what was it..outcome..etc........ what brings you to SSA?
      In the end they present you with Scenarios...and you have to show them what u would do in that situation.
      1 Answer

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

Interview

Emailed that I was selected for an interview, and informed to be available over the next few days for a phone interview. No specific time/date provided. Two people from SSA called me. It was a very formulaic interview, and they had set questions that they were required to ask. Long periods of awkward silence as they wrote down the answers. Sometimes it was difficulty because they would ask two part questions that were completely unrelated. Phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. Received an email job offer a couple of weeks after that.

Claim Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2016.

Interview

Applied on 03/04/2016. Got an email and phone call to set up interview over the phone on 04/18/2016. I live in California and applying for the position in New York. Phone interview was with 2 Managers and lasted for 2 1/2 hours. A lot of behavioral questions and "What If" situations. Still awaiting for an offer.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years   Answer Question
    • Describe a stressful situation between you and a customer/employee   Answer Question
    • Why do you feel you would be a good fit for this position?   Answer Question
    • Give us a time where you worked hard on a project just to fail at the task. What could you have done differently?   Answer Question
    • What skills do you believe that you need to possess to complete the job successfully?   Answer Question