Social Security Administration Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Social Security Administration Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2017

2.9

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

The process took a total 3+ months. I had a telephone interview with 3 individuals on the line. All three were very professional. The phone interview last approximately 30 minutes. An offer was extended within a month after the interview!

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Jamaica, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

The questions posted here at Glassdoor pretty much covered my questions. The two interviewers read from a script. They were very friendly and cordial, and professional.

That being said, I want to EMPHASIZE the need to get your documentation in order. The hiring manager is a perfectionist who kept returning to the meeting room to ask job candidates for missing documents, such as resume, selective registration (for males born after 1960; link was provided in email from HR), college transcript (even though it was optional and only if you had 3.0 GPA), proof of citizenship, social security card, etc. I got the sense that he will use these missing documents as a method to whittle down the applicants he will consider hiring. I also believe the hiring manager selected questions to ask candidates based on his personal review of your documentation. Thus, it is CRITICAL to ensure that every item on the checklist that is applicable to you is included when you show up for the interview. Even ONE SINGLE MISSING DOCUMENT could effectively remove you from contention for a job offer.

The position was listed on usajob website and held open for 48 hours at the beginning of March, and only the first 500 applications were accepted. SSA was conducting 200 interviews, and I don't know how many offers will be made.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Dealing with difficult coworkers. Communicating with people of different background. General work background questions. Two scenarios at the end.   Answer Question

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Emailed that I was selected for an interview, and informed to be available over the next few days for a phone interview. No specific time/date provided. Two people from SSA called me. It was a very formulaic interview, and they had set questions that they were required to ask. Long periods of awkward silence as they wrote down the answers. Sometimes it was difficulty because they would ask two part questions that were completely unrelated. Phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. Received an email job offer a couple of weeks after that.

Claims Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed at the New York 48th street location. This position is no joke. The interview was highly intense. But nothing to be scared of if you go in prepared to talk about difficult times and stressful situations that you've faced. They ask you series of 7 questions mostly behavioral and whatever answer you provide they build their questions from that. It lasted 1 1/2 hrs aprxm...

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation where you had to face a difficult situation and what did you do about it what was the outcome ? Tell me another... Tell me about a time you were in a stressful situation what did u do about it... Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision..what was it..outcome..etc........ what brings you to SSA?
      In the end they present you with Scenarios...and you have to show them what u would do in that situation.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I went for an interview last week and I was very surprised. The interviewers were very nice and made you feel comfortable. PLEASE HAVE ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS in order. That's the very first thing that they will collect. On your reference sheet make sure that your contacts have all been direct supervisors. Co-workers as professional references aren't acceptable. My interview was at 10 am and I was out by 1. Overall it was a good interview. I was asked to submit finger prints and they have already began my backround check. Hoping for a call back soon!

Interview Questions

• The questions they asked were mostly bevioral scenarios. What would you do and why type questions.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Houston, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied on USAJOB website it took 4 weeks to get a call, i interviewed at 2 locations and they both fingerprinted me, I;m still waiting on them to get back with me.

Interview Questions

• how do you deal with a customer who has three kids running around and your trying to give her important information?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Birmingham, AL) in April 2016.

Interview

Met with supervisor and manager male and female. They were fairly easy going. Lasted about an hour. They told me about the position, watched a video, salary, work hours, and benefits. Training is 13-15 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Asked what did I know about the position.
      Asked to role play as if a client was on the phone.
      Asked to read a passage to them.
      Asked about dealing with hard clients & one that was different from me.
      Asked about multi-tasking.
      1 Answer

Managing Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

I did not interview. My application from within the Agency was considered, along with my qualifications and reference from my supervisor. Prior to my current position I was a senior attorney and previous to that an attorney advisor with a stellar record

Claim Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2016.

Interview

Applied on 03/04/2016. Got an email and phone call to set up interview over the phone on 04/18/2016. I live in California and applying for the position in New York. Phone interview was with 2 Managers and lasted for 2 1/2 hours. A lot of behavioral questions and "What If" situations. Still awaiting for an offer.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years   Answer Question
    • Describe a stressful situation between you and a customer/employee   Answer Question
    • Why do you feel you would be a good fit for this position?   Answer Question
    • Give us a time where you worked hard on a project just to fail at the task. What could you have done differently?   Answer Question
    • What skills do you believe that you need to possess to complete the job successfully?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2016.

Interview

Interviewed last month with a hiring manager and supervisor. I was fingerprinted, show around the office, and interview was conducted shortly after. There was a short role-play exercise, and written assignment as well. Manager went over benefits, pay, and asked after the interview to sign a paper if I was still interested in the position.

**Just received a phone call and I was offered the job!

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a difficult customer? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

See What Social Security Administration Employees Are Saying

Star Star Star Star Star   Former Administrative Appeals Judge in Washington, DC

Pros: “This is a government job with opportunities throughout the United States. I started as an attorney, moved on to management and later became a judge. There are jobs for almost any level of...”“This is a government job with opportunities throughout the United States. I started as an attorney, moved on to management and later became a judge. There are jobs for almost any level of education (high school GED to post graduate). Once you are in the federal government program it is easy to transfer to other agencies or other locations. The vacation and holidays are unsurpassed in the private sector. The pay is good, but in some cases may be a bit lower than the private sector. I am retired now. Throughout my career, I had jobs both in and out of government. The worse day in Social Security is about equal to the best day in the private sector. It is a great job for a parent. The benefits are as good as one could get almost anywhere. I highly recommend government employment.” – Full Review