Social Security Administration Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.9

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Baltimore, MD) in August 2009.

Interview

Took several months from application to hiring. Fairly onerous set of questions. Process seemed to be geared toward screening by Personel, who then forwarded only a few prospective candidates for interviews. Interview was informal for me, but other interviews of co-workers involved 2 or more interviewers who asked pointed questions. General approach is 'by the numbers', so one should pay careful attention to the initial questions on the job questionaire (several essay style answers, etc.).

Interview Questions

• Interview was very informal and friendly. I was solicited to apply for the position, so the biggest hurdle was getting past the Personell screeners who score the initial questionaire.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, rather, simply a request to accept or decline. Very inpersonal.

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

It was a 3 person panel.
    Everyone was very nice, intelligent & organized.
    This was the 1st interview - supposedly, there's something called a "Meet and Deal" that comes next.
    The purpose of this one was to establish a behavioral baseline to see what kind of person you are.
    Expect scenarios and questions about hypothetical situations as well as standard interview questions.
    You will be expected to relate to various past experiences which seemed to focus on stress in particular.
    You would also be well advised to do at least some cursory research about SSA and the position for which you're applying.
    Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• There was a scenario where they handed me a paper to look over that gave a brief explanation of what SSA does.
      They give you 5 minutes (if you need it) and allow you to take notes, but it's very brief and comprehensive - you shouldn't have to.
      Then, they'll play the scenario as a prospective applicant and you have to succinctly explain to them the parameters of eligibility.
      1 Answer

Service Representative () Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Lawrence, KS).

Interview

I was referred by a university official as a great placement candidate for institutional work study/intern for the local Social Security Office. An appointment for an interview was scheduled with the office manager. Typical interview questions were asked. Nothing fancy. I think I was immediately offered the job based on my referral.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Baltimore, MD) in January 2014.

Interview

I was previously a contractor with the organization so the interview process was non-existent. A short phone interview was held with my direct manager and the division director. Very rudimentary questions were asked and were centered around salary expectations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate starting salary with proper justification.

File Organizer Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Centro, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (El Centro, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

You just sit in a office and they asked easy questions about you, for example: Are you studying? Why you want this job? Do you think you can excel in this company? Why you choose here?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Very relaxed setting. Panel of 3 people with 6 questions each. I was well prepared for the questions, and the interview lasted 20 minutes. I asked about when I would hear back from the panel, and they said it could be a few months because of budgeting issues.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you needed to use EQ. Give three words that describe who you are. How do resolve conflict? Where do you see yourself in five years. Tell us something about yourself. What drew you to apply to the SSA?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

There was only a phone interview. If I had seen the office and the environment, I probably would not have taken the job. I was interviewed over the phone with the manager and supervisors. I was asked questions based on the job duties. The job description is misleading and does not provide complete information regarding job duties.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what would I do when speaking with someone from a different culture and background who may not be as proficient in English.   1 Answer

Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Detroit, MI) in March 2016.

Interview

Telephone Interview to determine if after hearing the position and job detail I believe the job would be something I would like doing. Interviewer gave an introduction. Interviewer let me know that my resume had been reviewed. I was asked to bring in for my interview my resume and reference letter. I was given the location and contact information.

Interview Questions

• Did you understand what the job entail? You have any questions? Would you like to come in for an interview?   1 Answer

Managing Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

I did not interview. My application from within the Agency was considered, along with my qualifications and reference from my supervisor. Prior to my current position I was a senior attorney and previous to that an attorney advisor with a stellar record

Claims Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2016.

Interview

Had a panel interview with 2 managers. I thought it was a great interviews. Was given fingerprint cards. They stated would hear early May with class starting at the end of May.

Interview Questions

• Regular interview type questions from a manual.   3 Answers

See What Social Security Administration Employees Are Saying

Star Star Star Star Star   Former Administrative Appeals Judge in Washington, DC

Pros: “This is a government job with opportunities throughout the United States. I started as an attorney, moved on to management and later became a judge. There are jobs for almost any level of...”“This is a government job with opportunities throughout the United States. I started as an attorney, moved on to management and later became a judge. There are jobs for almost any level of education (high school GED to post graduate). Once you are in the federal government program it is easy to transfer to other agencies or other locations. The vacation and holidays are unsurpassed in the private sector. The pay is good, but in some cases may be a bit lower than the private sector. I am retired now. Throughout my career, I had jobs both in and out of government. The worse day in Social Security is about equal to the best day in the private sector. It is a great job for a parent. The benefits are as good as one could get almost anywhere. I highly recommend government employment.” – Full Review