Social Security Administration Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2017

2.9

Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Detroit, MI) in March 2016.

Interview

Telephone Interview to determine if after hearing the position and job detail I believe the job would be something I would like doing. Interviewer gave an introduction. Interviewer let me know that my resume had been reviewed. I was asked to bring in for my interview my resume and reference letter. I was given the location and contact information.

Interview Questions

• Did you understand what the job entail? You have any questions? Would you like to come in for an interview?   1 Answer

Managing Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

I did not interview. My application from within the Agency was considered, along with my qualifications and reference from my supervisor. Prior to my current position I was a senior attorney and previous to that an attorney advisor with a stellar record

Claims Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2016.

Interview

Had a panel interview with 2 managers. I thought it was a great interviews. Was given fingerprint cards. They stated would hear early May with class starting at the end of May.

Interview Questions

• Regular interview type questions from a manual.   3 Answers

Bilingual Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Fremont, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

My interview was on the phone with a panel of three individuals. Two of them were Operations Supervisors and one was the branch manager. I heard a week after the phone interview, I was hired. Over all process took 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• 1: Tell us about you yourself?
      2: What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      3: Talk about a topic that you are an expert about?
      4: Why do you want to work with Social Security Administration?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

formal but quick. basic breakdown of the position being offered - benefits, pay, associated programs. Next was a typical by the book interview. fingerprints, sing a few releases, and it's done.

Interview Questions

• describe a time you had an altercation with a superior   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Richmond, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

I was contacted by a very friendly and capable Staffing Specialist, who arranged for an interview with the two managers to whom the position would report (Director and Deputy Director). The interview was a straight-up behavioral interview with the requisite, "Do you have any questions for me?" at the end.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult challenge you've faced in the last year?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is very little room to negotiate in the federal government's hiring process for Title 5 employees. Salary and benefits are set.

STEP Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Francisco, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

It was a very informative interview and the district manager took the time to go over the processes of the social security administration. Overall it was a relaxed interview and the job was a great opportunity, especially since I was a student.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the Social Security Administration?   Answer Question

Program Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2010.

Interview

The interviewing manager was fabulous. She started by saying "I noticed (such and such) on your resume, tell me about that" - which put me at ease, let me know she read my resume, and let me feel that she was really interested in me, my skills, and what I can offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you handled a training situation in your last position as supervisor.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No. Government salaries are generally not negotiable.

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in January 2011.

Interview

The interview had 3 phases. You meet with a manager to understand the duties of the job. After your interview with the manager, you are taken to a current Benefit Authorizer to explain life on the job. Lastly, you meet with human resources to answer customer service related questions.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when a manager/supervisor/coach gave you criticism and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Senior Case Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2012.

Interview

Applied for the position around the first of March. Didn't hear anything from them until they called to set the interview this week (fourth week of April). Met with the office director and one supervisor. The director asked all the questions. The supervisor took notes. The interview lasted 30 minutes. Was asked approximately 10 questions with most being situational type of questions. The director advised the interviews would be completed this week and depending on how quickly the background checks came back, would make a decision within two weeks. All people interviewing for the position are requried to submit fingerprint cards (I had mine done at the local sheriff's department) and a three page form with background information questions - criminal, service record, etc. They provided a pre-adddressed/pre-paid FedEX mailing envelope to return the completed fingerprint cards and background form.

The questions asked included:

1) Name a goal you attempted but did not achieve;
    2) How would you deal with someone who is upset because benefits are denied;
    3) How you would handle a decision made by your boss or supervisor that you don't agree with;
    4) How do you handle/juggle multiple files when all are high priority;
    5) How do you deal with policies, rules and procedures you don't agree with.

After the questions, the director asked if I had any questions. I asked for a description of the day to day work, the caseload, travel, training and benefits. They made a note of every item I asked about.

Both the office director and supervisor were pleasant and easy to talk with. The office director was hard to read, so I'm not sure what to think as far as my chances of being offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Name a goal you attempted but did not achieve   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with someone who is upset because benefits are denied   Answer Question
    • How you would handle a decision made by your boss or supervisor that you don't agree with   Answer Question
    • How do you handle/juggle multiple files when all are high priority   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with policies, rules and procedures you don't agree with   Answer Question