Society for Neuroscience Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Society for Neuroscience Interview Questions

Updated Apr 5, 2017

2.8

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Society for Neuroscience.

Interview

I applied online and did a phone interview with HR. Onsite interviews with the team and the Director and I completed a personality test. The assessment results are delivered to your supervisor and they share the results with you. The results are taken seriously. The good reviews for this company are from younger staff who don't know any better or have been asked or are trying to get into the very limited in crowd. BELIEVE the bad reviews. No job security; 20+ people laid off prior to my on-boarding and people quitting every other week at least. No autonomy and lower salaries below the Director. Alot of unhappy people. Management has strong likes and dislikes for staff personally and if they don't like you they will make sure you quit. I've never seen such poor treatment of staff. The staff that stay have good supervisors who basically protect them- it depends on your department. I witnessed several people being mistreated. Competent people put on performance improvement plans as a method to get them to quit. Closed doors tears. I saw one happy person there and it was their first job. Steer clear.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Society for Neuroscience.

Interview

i was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled a phone screening which was cancelled at the last minute do to a pop-up meeting that the recruiter had. I have never experienced that but I was flexible and rescheduled. Less than 24 hours before the rescheduled screening, I received the name of the people that were interviewing me and a request for a personality screening-which I had about 10 minutes to take. Screening went well and went in for the in person interview. The people interviewing me were very straight forward with their company culture and expectations. I was immediately told that the company doesn't offer a flexible or limited telework option. Through their questions they really wanted to make sure that I wasn't the type to offer new ideas or rock the boat. From the vibe that I got in the interview, they definently want people that are more structured and less creative, out of the box thinkers. Two out of the three people that interviewed me have been with the company less than 2 years--says a lot. Overall they were very straight forward about their infamous company culture and were looking for people that fit that mold. I was a bit shocked because I assume it would be quite difficult to recruit and retain top talent with this vibe but whatever works. This organization may be a good fit for someone that is focused on getting the job done but not interested in generating new ideas on how to get the job done and beyond. Also great for people without children/family commitments as it doesn't offer a basic flexible work option. I think a younger person that wants the experience to put on their resume would do well.

Interview Questions

• give me a time were you presented an idea and it wasn't accepted by the team?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Society for Neuroscience.

Interview

Company had an extensive screening process. Very intrusive, focused on one-way communications and a couple of significant untruths. Was told of criteria to qualify for an interview, met criteria, then was not even interviewed. Something curious was afoot.

Governance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Society for Neuroscience (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

I received my initial interview request by email, by an outsourced HR company i'm assuming. It took three weeks for them to respond to my response to set up a phone interview. Once I finally set up my in-person interview, it took them almost a month to respond back to me with a rejection. Being rejected is understandable, but their method in not answering emails requesting a response was unprofessional.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Society for Neuroscience (Washington, DC).

Interview

After applying, I did a phone interview with a wonderful HR representative. A week later, the entire team met with me, from coordinators through to the director, in a series of interviews. I also took a personality test after the interview. The team was in the process of filling two positions, so I was able to see what they were looking for in a corresponding employee. The team was overwhelmingly positive and ensured I was comfortable with the scope of work I would be facing and the organization after talking with each panel.

Interview Questions

• Why was I interested in the position? How would my previous experiences help me communicate neuroscience research? How well can I work in an office environment coming from a more mobile organization?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Interview

I had a phone screen with HR coordinator and was then invited in for an interview with the HR Manager, who talked about benefits and culture. She was pretty honest and encouraged me to look at the reviews online, which made me wonder what that was all about. I also took a personality questionnaire online beforehand. I've never been asked to do that but they take it seriously. I wonder if they're filtering by how cooperative people seem to be, i.e., they don't want people to shake things up. Because I was curious and wanted to see for myself, I came back for the second interview with the manager and three of the team members. They were all very nice. About a week later, the HR coordinator informed me that the position was no longer available because they company decided to go a different direction and combine two positions into one. I would not have accepted the job based on the reviews here anyway.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Society for Neuroscience.

Interview

Initially pleased with the process. I submitted an application online and received a phone call from HR a few days later. Not only were they interested in me for the position for which I applied, but they thought I might be a good fit for a second position as well. Through the course of the phone interview, I was told several times that my background and qualifications were what they were looking for and that the next step was to have several candidates forwarded to the managing director, who would select some for an in-person interview. About three days later, I received an email saying that the position had been filled by "someone with better qualifications." I don't mind not getting the position, but a little more honesty in the process would have been appreciated (the job was indeed FILLED less than a week later, so it's not just a matter of not making the cut).

Finance Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Society for Neuroscience in October 2014.

Interview

Typical interview process, phone interview, two in person interviews. The HR lady took a phone call during the phone interview and I guess she didn't realize she didn't mute our conversation, but it wasn't a big deal. I then had an in person interview with the potential supervisor and that went really well and I was last minute introduced to her boss, who I really liked.

After my interview I was told I'd hear back in a couple days. I never heard anything until I reached out again and was told I'd be contacted in the next few days. Still didn't hear anything, and then randomly got a rejection email about a month and half later, even though that was pretty much implied.

The office was very friendly, all the people were pleasant, just seemed to be a little disorganized in the HR department.

Director Level Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Society for Neuroscience.

Interview

It all had the beginnings of a positive interview process. I was contacted by HR within 48 hours of applying for the position. On the day of scheduled phone interview, I was called by the same HR person advising that it would have to be rescheduled because of a staff meeting. On the day of the rescheduled interview, I had been in contact with the HR staffer via e-mail and had a return response. I assumed that the call would occur on time but I was never called. (Nor did I receive a response to my follow-up e-mail as to why the interview was cancelled.) At the time of this review, the organization has numerous vacant positions, including manager and director positions which could indicate major issues rather than growth. Based on the number of negative reviews, it appears that there are definitely internal problems.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Society for Neuroscience (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was called back for a phone interview, then two subsequent interviews. The interviews seemed great and I had a good feeling about the interviewers and the company, until they started asking questions about my baby.

Interview Questions

• When they found out I was a new mom the HR manager asked, "Are you going to be ready to go back to work?" when I came in for my second interview. Also, one of the hiring managers asked how old my child was. I told them I had a nanny and a master's degree (meaning that I was more than qualified for the position), but I was still very taken off guard.   Answer Question