Socrata Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Socrata Interview Questions

Interviews at Socrata

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Socrata (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter. We determined that I was very interested in the company and that while I had good experience and skills generally, was not an exact fit with their technologies. They chose to phone screen me anyway. After a successful phone screen I was brought in. Got the impression from several of the interviewers that they thought the interview was a waste of time but were going through the motions. One of my interviewers was the single worst I've ever had: she built rapport and then proceeded to ask only trick questions. Because she had previously built rapport I was trying to be open-minded about some of the things she was asking rather than giving knee-jerk "of course it doesn't work that way" responses.

Out of four interviewers, my impression was that only one treated me like a human being. The Socrata interviewing experiences typifies the worst of how developers currently think of tech interviewing culture. Avoid this company.

Sep 30, 2016 – VP of People Operations

Hi candidate - my name is James and I lead the Socrata People Ops team, including our recruiting efforts. Your review concerned me because we put a lot of effort into giving candidates a fair and

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Socrata.

Interview

HR did their best, and we got along just fine. The impression I got going into the tech screen was a good one, based on my conversation with HR. After doing my first test, I received an e-mail saying the following (paraphrase). Please complete the following task, using a language not on your resume, but make sure you use it idiomatically, and complete in a short amount of time." Wow, what a bunch a weasels. I decided I wasn't interested after that. If I had bothered to read the glassdoor commentary, I would never had bothered applying.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. The questions themselves were not the problem.   Answer Question

May 19, 2017 – VP of People Operations

I have spoken with our senior recruiter and our engineering managers to learn more about what happened here. We work very hard to make sure that we are building an experience that gives us the

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Socrata (Seattle, WA) in April 2019.

Interview

After passing several lower-level interviews, they gave me a take-home coding challenge and I was eager to show off my skills. They asked for a professional-grade product with an extensible API, lots of test coverage, and documentation. (The product itself had specifications that they gave.) I spent FIFTY HOURS creating a product that went far above and beyond what they asked for, all within the course of a week like they asked. (I also have an extensive portfolio with dozens of apps, so at this point I figured I was going for overkill.) I added extra features to help visualize the data; I created an interpreter for the language they asked me to write, which gave helpful hints when you had bugs in your code; I made the language easily extensible and streamlined the process by which you could add commands to its vocabulary; I made it easy to embed the app in a web page and modify its layout at will. The app itself was of a gorgeous design that I put no small amount of effort into. To support all of this, I wrote twenty pages of test coverage and sixteen pages of documentation.

After all of this effort, they (1) told me they would get back to me a few days later, and were a whole week late on that, and (2) rejected my application while stating it was not their "policy" to tell me why I was being rejected. Well, it's not most company's "policy" to make people work fifty hours for free, so that should tell you a LOT about this company's toxic work culture.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to create an app which fed commands to a robot in its own language.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Socrata (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

After passing a phone screen you are invited to an on-site interview. The total interview time is 4 hours but you meet with a different group of people every hour, I met with 8 people during my interview. After completing the interview process you will receive a call or email letting you know if they are offering you a job within a week.

Interview Questions

• You'll be asked situational questions as well as personality questions. The questions are pretty standard but each interviewer is looking for a specific skill while they are interviewing you.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Socrata (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

Overall, it was one of the quicker interview processes. I applied online, then had 2 phone screens within a week, and then a half-day in person loop with 8 or so people the week after.

After the in-person, they got back to me with an offer within a couple days, so that was appreciated. One of the faster moving Seattle companies!

Interview Questions

• They ask questions based on the core values, so make sure you study those and come up with your answers.   Answer Question

Jan 10, 2017 – VP of People Operations

We aspire to have a candidate-centric interview experience and I'm glad to hear this was a good experience for you. We believe that regular communication and fast turnaround is an important part of

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Socrata (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

First off by letting me start off by saying this was the greatest company that I have ever interviewed for, and anyone that works there should feel so lucky that they work for an incredible company.

I sought out this position by emailing the CEO. So my Interview process started off with a phone call with the CEO. He is an incredible guy and very easy to talk to. I had about 4 different phone interviews after talking with the CEO. During the process their internal recruiter did an incredible job keeping me up to date where I was in the process as well as the next steps.

The final step was flying me out to Seattle from Boston. During this trip I saw first hand how amazing this company truly is. The employees I interviewed with were all top notch and I feel that I would of made a great fit working along side them. It was during this time that I was told that I would probably be a better fit for a step just below the position that I applied. During my interview with the VP he gave me a lot of incredible insight on how to better myself in order to achieve the Account Executive position in the future.

When I arrived home I was told by the recruiter that if I could relocate to another state they have a position for me that would work. Unfortunately having a young family that was not an option at this time. Still the Socrata team saw enough in me that they even went as far as trying to build a brand new position where I could work from home and travel. Unfortunately that position did not come about.

The CEO personally wrote me an email telling me how strong of a candidate I was and that we should keep in touch next time he is up in Boston.

To this day I still have my fingers crossed that I will be contacted by them about a position there which I will be a good fit for me.

Amazing product! Incredible culture and still wishing I could be a part of it!

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Socrata (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and thorough interview process, but extremely fair, and Socrata communicated openly throughout the process. I never felt like I was lost. The interview process was as much about finding a mutually beneficial cultural fit, as finding an experience match. This is a small company, so cultural fit is important. Telephone interview with headhunter, then coffee with hiring manager, then phone call with peer, then panel interview in the office with 4 cross-functional managers (3-in person, 1-phone). Socrata was kind enough to make me an informal offer while they worked out the financial package on a formal offer. HR set up a call to walk through the offer package and give the candidate an opportunity to ask questions. There is approximately a two-week waiting period before starting. Socrata does a background check in which the candidate authorizes the process, but then the candidate does not have to do anything else. There is a quarterly 2-day training session for new hires - you meet all of the executive teams. Executives are available for client meetings and calls. There are employees distributed everywhere, in many different time zones, so you have to be able to collaborate in that type of environment. The process was extremely professional.

Interview Questions

• If there were a civic minded or charitable cause that you feel passionate about, tell me about the organization and how you would help them.   1 Answer

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Socrata (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

A series of interviews with individuals from different departments tasked with a specific question tied to values of company. Each individual focused on that value and tied it to the position. It was helpful to meet people from different teams to try and decide the overall pulse of the company, their commitment to the interview process, and to see that they actually loved working for the company.

Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Socrata.

Interview

The interview process was well organized. It all started with a 1-hour phone screen. I was asked a variety of technical questions regarding systems and networking. About a quarter of the call was dedicated to getting to know me professionally and the rest were basically test questions.

Next, I was given a programming assignment to be completed within the next several days. I was given the option of choosing one of three programming problems, which were all matched in degree of complexity.

After completing the programming assignment, I was invited to come in for the interview. There were 4 rounds, each one hour. The first round tested my ability to communicate and teach what I know. The second round tested my ability to solve a current technical problem at the company. The third round was a pair-programming exercise. The last round sought to test the depth of my knowledge regarding systems.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe what happens in the system when the command ls is called. Before I knew it, I was evaluating C code on a whiteboard with low level system calls like fork and exec. Definitely did not expect this.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Socrata (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

After conversations with employees at several levels I decided to apply and go through the motions. The process started with a take-home programming assignment. I had 1 choice out of 3 programming challenges, all of which were quite interesting and a much better opportunity to showcase coding abilities and stile than a whiteboard quiz. I spent a few hours over a couple of days and submitted a solution alongside unit and integration tests.

The interview comprised conversations with employees wearing different hats (developers, managers, etc.). At times I felt that not everybody had a solid plan about where they wanted to take the conversation. We reviewed the code I submitted, sketched a few diagrams on the whiteboard, and talked about projects and company culture. In the process I also had the opportunity to give a 45-minute talk to a larger group of engineers. The talk provided additional exposure to potential future colleagues so I would recommend doing that.

The offer came in several days after the interview. The parameters were outside my comfort zone (and below the local market) so I declined it. In light of this experience I would recommend front-loading this discussion to save all parties from investing time just to discover a road block at the end of the process.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of one time when you made the wrong decision.   1 Answer