SoftLayer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Unix Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview was originated from an HR recruiter from IBM. I had a telephone interview regarding my expectation of pay and my previous work experience with Unix and Oracle and C programming.
    I was informed of a technical phone interview with a technical team lead with Softlayer about a week later via email. I accepted the phone interview. The phone interview was very cordial and informative about how the job responsibilities are. I was told there will be a formal personal interview with test questions hands-on if I was chosen to do so. In a week I received an email invitation for the hands-on technical interview. I was happy to accept the testing interview. The testing interview was pleasant with the help from the team lead. It took about an hour for me to go through some of the basics of Unix Administration. I did not pass all of the questions unfortunately.

Sales Engineer Interview

Interview

Overall I would say this process was very horrible. Not only did they take for ever and getting back to me, but when I showed up the directors and other leadership there were very pompous and stuck up. All the negative reviews here that employees give is true. Their leadership is so disconnected from what is going on in the industry and what a solutions engineer is real looking for in a workplace that it's no wonder that they retain subpart talent. I was interviewing with the person named Kelly, and his organization definitely did not impress me. I had already accepted an offer with their primary competitor, but was just going to give them the chance of a counter offer. Very very glad that I did not wait until they made an offer to accept their competitors. Software was great before IBM got a hold of them. IBM is a dinosaur, not a place to grow a career as a young professional.

Interview Questions

• present for 45 minutes on anything. No, really, that was an actual question.   Answer Question

Data Center Technician Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chantilly, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Chantilly, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

Site manager emailed and he asked three quesion about computer components, computer troubleshooting, installing, hardware and software. I got a phone call from site manager about 10 components of computer. He sat up interview in a week in chantilly VA.

Interview Questions

• Asked about RAID 0,1,10 and differences.
      10 component of computer.
      Subnet, IP address, Linux commands
      Active directory, BIOS, CMOS
      2 IQ test question
      My background and experience
      RAM and RAM troubleshooting
      Cisco router and Switches
      Routing protocols   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

I applied through a very aggressive recruiting firm that they use. I was more than qualified for the position, however he seemed hesitant to submit me at the higher range of the salary range they were seeking.

Once I had the initial phone screen with the HR person, it was your typical HR questions. The she immediately scheduled me for a phone interview with the hiring manager.

I spoke to him the next day, and answered every question correctly. At the end of the interview he said he wanted to get me in for an in-person interview. I reminded him that I was not in the area, and he said that would be no problem. He told me he would still continue on with the next step of getting me another interview over a video conference. 2 hours later, I received a text message from the recruiter telling me they passed on me. Seemed odd after the conversation I just had with the hiring manager, but if this is the way the manager and the company does business, I want no part in it.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Austin, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied and took about 2 months, got an email and scheduled an interview. Interview was a 20 min Behavioral one with easy questions. They stressed that the job will be a hectic one with new projects occurring one after the other.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

Got a call through oncampus career fair. Went to onsite for the interview. 3 people started interviewing me about my projects on resume and experience and my work on Webservices in PHP.

Data Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Addison, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview process was very lax. You will enter the front where security will stop you and make you wait for who ever called you. You will be given a temporary badge and taken on a short tour and offered an energy drink. There are confrence rooms upstairs where the interview will take place. 1 or 2 people will interview you. The questions will be right out of any top 20 interview questions list. You will be asked if you have any questions. I suggest asking about salary and benifits because they are not mentioned in their interview process. Good luck and GOD bless.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer
    • Are you willing to travel?   1 Answer

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Sydney (Australia)) in September 2016.

Interview

Initial online interview was conducted by two site managers and the second online interview was with another site manager. They sent the invitation thru email and verified further via phone call.

Interview Questions

• Describe server troubleshooting   1 Answer

DC Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the position , and the site manager called me after 4 months to schedule the technical interview , after that I epected to be contacted from the HR team but they did not call, I followed up with site manager who I did the interview with and He keeps telling me they will call you next week

Events Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

The first interview with the hiring manager went really well, not a hard or tough interview. The fact that the person interviewing was very friendly of course helped. It was basically going over my background and working experience. So when I passed to the second round I was not surprised, but very excited! They requested a powerpoint presentation regarding Softlayer's events, suggestions and ideas and finally a 3 month plan on how to organize an event. This took quite a lot of my personal time and effort. So imagine how disappointed I was when I didn't hear back from Softayer in the next 2 weeks. I actually had to send them an email to request feedback, to which they took 3 days to reply thanking me for the time but that I didn't make it to the 3rd round. There was no proper feedback whatsoever. So of course I requested it immediately, to be able to better understand why wasn't my presentation good enough. Again after two weeks still no reply so again I sent another email to which it took a couple of days for them to come back to me. I received a very long and friendly email from the hiring manager but with no content. I didn't need or want to receive compliments, on the contrary I wanted a sincere and honest feedback to be able to improve. I still could not understand what went wrong and what were my weaknesses. This is simply what I wanted to know to be able to improve my self in future job interviews, presentations, among others. So finally I sent an email thanking for the time taken to give me a more detailed feedback but that what I was looking for was the points that didn't make me go through. This was last August, till today I didn't receive a reply. Overall very disappointed with the poor recruitment service this company provides.