SoftLayer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.3

54 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Very drawn out. Expect to wait weeks on end, even after they let you know they want to offer you the job. If you have worked in a DC before, its simple. If you haven't, then google RAID and freshen up on general IT Hardware concepts and terms.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Initially I participated in a phone interview, then I was brought into the office for a case study interview. Afterwards, I had 1:1 interviews with various members of the management team. Overall, it was nothing out of the ordinary in terms of interview process. I felt that all of the questions asked were relevant to the position, and each interviewer came prepared with his/her own individual questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a stressful situation you've encountered, and how you were able to deal with it.   Answer Question

Network Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I had two interviews, the first was with the hiring manager and the 2nd interview was with the VP. The 2nd interview occurred the following week of the 1st interview. The following week i was extended an offer. The process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Have i ever made a mistake on the network that took it down, how i fixed it how long, it took me to fix it, and what did i tell the customer   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

I had a phone call with the department manager to schedule a time to interview in person. About a week later I had my interview in person. The process to get hired on took a very long time. The background check is what takes the longest and that whole process was about 1-2 months.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you think you are fit for this position?   Answer Question

Unix Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview was originated from an HR recruiter from IBM. I had a telephone interview regarding my expectation of pay and my previous work experience with Unix and Oracle and C programming.
    I was informed of a technical phone interview with a technical team lead with Softlayer about a week later via email. I accepted the phone interview. The phone interview was very cordial and informative about how the job responsibilities are. I was told there will be a formal personal interview with test questions hands-on if I was chosen to do so. In a week I received an email invitation for the hands-on technical interview. I was happy to accept the testing interview. The testing interview was pleasant with the help from the team lead. It took about an hour for me to go through some of the basics of Unix Administration. I did not pass all of the questions unfortunately.

Sales Engineer Interview

Interview

Overall I would say this process was very horrible. Not only did they take for ever and getting back to me, but when I showed up the directors and other leadership there were very pompous and stuck up. All the negative reviews here that employees give is true. Their leadership is so disconnected from what is going on in the industry and what a solutions engineer is real looking for in a workplace that it's no wonder that they retain subpart talent. I was interviewing with the person named Kelly, and his organization definitely did not impress me. I had already accepted an offer with their primary competitor, but was just going to give them the chance of a counter offer. Very very glad that I did not wait until they made an offer to accept their competitors. Software was great before IBM got a hold of them. IBM is a dinosaur, not a place to grow a career as a young professional.

Interview Questions

• present for 45 minutes on anything. No, really, that was an actual question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Chapel Hill, NC) in November 2015.

Interview

Interview process was pretty typical for such a job. Lots of technical questions on theory as opposed to having to actually write code in front of them. Very pleasant people throughout the process. In fact, I feel bad because I do not think any of the people that I interacted with are the cause of the negative aspects of this company. I was offered the position, and accepted. I was almost done with the process of wrapping everything up and starting work, all I had left to do was sign the contract. Suddenly, I was informed that they have been under a hiring hold from up the chain somewhere in IBM (who owns SoftLayer). Apparently there was a miss-communication, or some other form of complete disorganization that allowed this to completely slip their minds over the long length of time that I was in contact with them. By this point, I had already declined other offers, so I now reside unemployed, thanks to the lack of communication between the chain of command in this company. This a classic example of what you do NOT want to happen when a cool startup is purchased by a large corporation.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

Very good, calm, comprehensive. very well thought out. The process is thorough but not over the top. You dont require a massive abundance of knowledge as this is entry level, but it is recommended that you gain an understanding of processors, RAM and harddrives. Particularly cores, downclocking, difference between ddr3 and ddr4 and SATA

Interview Questions

• Was asked how to troubleshoot internet connectivity.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SoftLayer in August 2015.

Interview

I applied to Softlayer(IBM) in june and got an email in August asking what are my salary requirements and When was i available for an interview. They Head Manager (Softlayer)in Dallas called me the next day, I live in Washington D.C. the job offer was nChantilly, Va at their data center I believe its the newer thats what the recruiter told me, but any ways most of your communication will be through email. But to the interview I was expecting an over the phone interview then in person interview, No it was all over the phone, they asked me did I have any experience in data entry, shipping and receiving and on a scale one through ten how much experience do you have in Microsoft Excel I told them a 5 he didnt like that but i explained at Bestbuy we use a different data entry system and I have alot to learn he said ok, All im worried about is your auditing skills which is something i accel in. He said thats a big important roll in working in a data center . I assured my skills in auditing since i did it for three different companies including Gamestop. He said good we will be in contact with you and I got them to talk about dress code thats my way of signifying the deal of me being hired.We made a joke about the Redskins and then hung up. Next day a separate recruiter sent me an offer which was a dollar more then i applied for im waiting to begin next week.

Interview Questions

• On a scale one through ten how fluent area you in Microsoft Excel   1 Answer
    • How familiar are you with auditing and counting inventory heads   1 Answer
    • Where do you you see yourself in IBM   Answer Question

Negotiation

They ask you your salary requirments first shoot high lmao Look up the average inventory technician in you area

Cst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Houston, TX).

Interview

Quick, applied got an interview the next week. The parent company of ibm has a hard to navigate site and calling them to accept the offer was answered by someone with a thick Indian accent which may make it hard to understand. After accepting I started a week later. There are 2 weeks of intensive training.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you over someone else   1 Answer