SoftLayer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SoftLayer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2017

2.3

Quality Engineer Interview

Interview

Had to pass an online technical test as a screening. Then passed a phone interview with more technical questions. Then had a couple in-person interviews that also had technical questions, and questions about my background.

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Sydney (Australia)) in September 2016.

Interview

Initial online interview was conducted by two site managers and the second online interview was with another site manager. They sent the invitation thru email and verified further via phone call.

Interview Questions

• Describe server troubleshooting   1 Answer

Unix Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview was originated from an HR recruiter from IBM. I had a telephone interview regarding my expectation of pay and my previous work experience with Unix and Oracle and C programming.
    I was informed of a technical phone interview with a technical team lead with Softlayer about a week later via email. I accepted the phone interview. The phone interview was very cordial and informative about how the job responsibilities are. I was told there will be a formal personal interview with test questions hands-on if I was chosen to do so. In a week I received an email invitation for the hands-on technical interview. I was happy to accept the testing interview. The testing interview was pleasant with the help from the team lead. It took about an hour for me to go through some of the basics of Unix Administration. I did not pass all of the questions unfortunately.

Storage Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Technical as well as cultural. They need to know you have experience with Netapp as they are mainly a Netapp shop. You need to know about performance metrics, storage protocols, and know what WAFL is. Also the need to know you will fit in culturally, and mesh well with the other members of your team as you will be working closely with them on a daily basis.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

Got a call through oncampus career fair. Went to onsite for the interview. 3 people started interviewing me about my projects on resume and experience and my work on Webservices in PHP.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Initially I participated in a phone interview, then I was brought into the office for a case study interview. Afterwards, I had 1:1 interviews with various members of the management team. Overall, it was nothing out of the ordinary in terms of interview process. I felt that all of the questions asked were relevant to the position, and each interviewer came prepared with his/her own individual questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a stressful situation you've encountered, and how you were able to deal with it.   Answer Question

Network Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I had two interviews, the first was with the hiring manager and the 2nd interview was with the VP. The 2nd interview occurred the following week of the 1st interview. The following week i was extended an offer. The process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Have i ever made a mistake on the network that took it down, how i fixed it how long, it took me to fix it, and what did i tell the customer   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

I had a phone call with the department manager to schedule a time to interview in person. About a week later I had my interview in person. The process to get hired on took a very long time. The background check is what takes the longest and that whole process was about 1-2 months.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you think you are fit for this position?   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Chapel Hill, NC) in November 2015.

Interview

Interview process was pretty typical for such a job. Lots of technical questions on theory as opposed to having to actually write code in front of them. Very pleasant people throughout the process. In fact, I feel bad because I do not think any of the people that I interacted with are the cause of the negative aspects of this company. I was offered the position, and accepted. I was almost done with the process of wrapping everything up and starting work, all I had left to do was sign the contract. Suddenly, I was informed that they have been under a hiring hold from up the chain somewhere in IBM (who owns SoftLayer). Apparently there was a miss-communication, or some other form of complete disorganization that allowed this to completely slip their minds over the long length of time that I was in contact with them. By this point, I had already declined other offers, so I now reside unemployed, thanks to the lack of communication between the chain of command in this company. This a classic example of what you do NOT want to happen when a cool startup is purchased by a large corporation.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer in July 2015.

Interview

the interview was relaxed, site manager made me feel comfortable. questions asked during interview was fair and they were willing to hear my work experience even when it does not relate to the current company.