SoftLayer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SoftLayer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.4

Abuse Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

None. They took me off the streets with no prior experience in this field.

Interview Questions

• None. The interview was mere formalities given my prior experience and intelligence.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

It took them months between me submitting my resume, at the request of an employee, to actually interviewing me... and then took another 3.5 weeks between the time I interviewed and the time they made their offer.. and then there was a further 2 weeks after that before I started.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any certifications?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiations seemed to be non-existent for this position. I was made to feel as if I didn't take exactly what they were offering, they would hire someone with no experience, straight out of ITT Tech.

Data Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in October 2009.

Interview

I seriously laughed. It was two guys sitting you down in a room questioning you about the simplest technical questions. They try to intermediate you, I started laughing halfway through. I guess I'm just not used to Texas and how things are done there.

Negotiation

No negotiation allowed, I took my $12/hr since I was broke.

Cst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Houston, TX).

Interview

Three managers will interview you and ask you different questions regarding hosting. The interview is fairly short and to the point. They need bodies in the call center to support their terrible service.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They going to pay you what they want to pay you, no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Got my call back for an interview about 6 months after applying completely out of the blue. Just one 20 minute interview with the Site Manager at the time. Very laid back interview, he was more interested in talking about my computer and gaming hobbies than anything related to the work or my technical background. It was in and out, and pretty unlike any interview I have done. Didn't hear a thing from them for about a month then again out of the blue got a call with the job offer.

Interview Questions

• The only real unexpected part of the interview was that in his opinion I was over dressed for the interview. Was sort of bizarre...   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was told there was absolutely no negotiations, the offer was take it over leave it.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

You can pretty much just derp your way through this as it's clear by the current selection of people that they don't care about your knowledge of this field when they hire you. Half these new hires can barely reset a root password in Linux.
    Also, don't expect an answer any time soon...it took 5 months to get hired because they are so disorganized.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

It helps to know someone. they almost always hire referrals. In my interview he knew he would hire me. we just shot the stuff and although i studied linux commands and such i was not asked one technical question. We basically took turns talking about ourselves. I was told a lot about the job, but not really asked much at all. probably would have been more difficult if I hadn't been referred.

Interview Questions

• Can you build a home/gaming PC?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Chantilly, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

sat down with the site manager and was asked a few questions about servers and how they work. was told that I would not be getting the job, then that night was called back and asked to submit my background check with IBM

Data Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Chantilly, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

Interview was quick and easy. Most of the interview revolved around hardware, networking and some software? There were some trick questions involved. The trick questions were merely a test just to see how a person thinks.

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

On the phone : a couple of not complicated technical questions about PC hardware. I was advised about conditions of job and background check. Then, all paperwork, job offer, background check questionnaires and all kinds of forms was sent by email, signed and returned by email as well.

Interview Questions

• Can i assemble a PC from scratch something like this   1 Answer