SoftLayer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 5, 2017

2.3

Datacenter Inventory Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Chantilly, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

Takes about 2 moths, They email you first, you negotiate salary, then do over the phone interview, then they offer you the job, you decline or accept then you start a month later. Benefits start the same day you start, you are now an IBM employee.

Interview Questions

• Scale 1-10 how versed are you in Excel?   1 Answer

Datacentre Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chessington, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Chessington, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online and had further correspondence via email. Interview took place at the Chessington site.

I got there half an hour early but couldn't get on site because no access request had been granted. When I did eventually get on site was left waiting for 30 minutes until the interview began. It was a very awkward atmosphere with expressionless faces and awkward some few throughout.

Pay not enough

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Initially I participated in a phone interview, then I was brought into the office for a case study interview. Afterwards, I had 1:1 interviews with various members of the management team. Overall, it was nothing out of the ordinary in terms of interview process. I felt that all of the questions asked were relevant to the position, and each interviewer came prepared with his/her own individual questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a stressful situation you've encountered, and how you were able to deal with it.   Answer Question

Customer Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Houston, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

Extremely lengthy time between application approval, interview and hire. Nearly 4 months passed. Was applying elsewhere while this was reviewed. Extremely lengthy time between application approval, interview and hire. Nearly 4 months passed. Was applying elsewhere while this was reviewed.

Interview Questions

• Can you show up to work on time?   1 Answer

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Sydney (Australia)) in September 2016.

Interview

Initial online interview was conducted by two site managers and the second online interview was with another site manager. They sent the invitation thru email and verified further via phone call.

Interview Questions

• Describe server troubleshooting   1 Answer

Network Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I had two interviews, the first was with the hiring manager and the 2nd interview was with the VP. The 2nd interview occurred the following week of the 1st interview. The following week i was extended an offer. The process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Have i ever made a mistake on the network that took it down, how i fixed it how long, it took me to fix it, and what did i tell the customer   1 Answer

DC Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the position , and the site manager called me after 4 months to schedule the technical interview , after that I epected to be contacted from the HR team but they did not call, I followed up with site manager who I did the interview with and He keeps telling me they will call you next week

Logistics Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

I had a phone call with the department manager to schedule a time to interview in person. About a week later I had my interview in person. The process to get hired on took a very long time. The background check is what takes the longest and that whole process was about 1-2 months.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you think you are fit for this position?   Answer Question

Unix Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview was originated from an HR recruiter from IBM. I had a telephone interview regarding my expectation of pay and my previous work experience with Unix and Oracle and C programming.
    I was informed of a technical phone interview with a technical team lead with Softlayer about a week later via email. I accepted the phone interview. The phone interview was very cordial and informative about how the job responsibilities are. I was told there will be a formal personal interview with test questions hands-on if I was chosen to do so. In a week I received an email invitation for the hands-on technical interview. I was happy to accept the testing interview. The testing interview was pleasant with the help from the team lead. It took about an hour for me to go through some of the basics of Unix Administration. I did not pass all of the questions unfortunately.

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

On the phone : a couple of not complicated technical questions about PC hardware. I was advised about conditions of job and background check. Then, all paperwork, job offer, background check questionnaires and all kinds of forms was sent by email, signed and returned by email as well.

Interview Questions

• Can i assemble a PC from scratch something like this   1 Answer