SoftLayer Server Build Technician Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017

2.1

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Very drawn out. Expect to wait weeks on end, even after they let you know they want to offer you the job. If you have worked in a DC before, its simple. If you haven't, then google RAID and freshen up on general IT Hardware concepts and terms.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for SoftLayer

Server Build Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

Very good, calm, comprehensive. very well thought out. The process is thorough but not over the top. You dont require a massive abundance of knowledge as this is entry level, but it is recommended that you gain an understanding of processors, RAM and harddrives. Particularly cores, downclocking, difference between ddr3 and ddr4 and SATA

Interview Questions

• Was asked how to troubleshoot internet connectivity.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied on the official IBM website and got a voicemail on my phone three weeks later stating I am a potential candidate for the position. I scheduled an appointment one week later.

They ask the normal top 10 questions with the remaining time allocated for questions of your own for the interviewer. They explained how the business operated along with a typical workday during the interview.

Keep in mind that this position is an entry level position so pay may not be as high as you anticipate, but the job has a lot of capacity for learning new things. My impression was that this is a great place for growth as a new graduate into the workforce.

Soon after the interview, they conduct some background checks based on another application you have to fill out. Another couple of weeks of waiting after submission, I received an offer.

Interview Questions

Shift hours not to my liking. Cannot change once your preference is submitted during the interview. When offered the position, I was told I could not change to a different shift, but the option may be open down the line.

Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Chantilly, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

sat down with the site manager and was asked a few questions about servers and how they work. was told that I would not be getting the job, then that night was called back and asked to submit my background check with IBM

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

All in all it was a pretty straightforward interview. Asked me what knowledge I had about computers, raid, etc. Asked a couple generic personal questions. Asked what hours I could work. Told me what the company was like. It's like during the interview they are trying to get a feel to see if you would be able to work well by yourself and/or with others.

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal what kind of animal would you be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

It helps to know someone. they almost always hire referrals. In my interview he knew he would hire me. we just shot the stuff and although i studied linux commands and such i was not asked one technical question. We basically took turns talking about ourselves. I was told a lot about the job, but not really asked much at all. probably would have been more difficult if I hadn't been referred.

Interview Questions

• Can you build a home/gaming PC?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Got my call back for an interview about 6 months after applying completely out of the blue. Just one 20 minute interview with the Site Manager at the time. Very laid back interview, he was more interested in talking about my computer and gaming hobbies than anything related to the work or my technical background. It was in and out, and pretty unlike any interview I have done. Didn't hear a thing from them for about a month then again out of the blue got a call with the job offer.

Interview Questions

• The only real unexpected part of the interview was that in his opinion I was over dressed for the interview. Was sort of bizarre...   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was told there was absolutely no negotiations, the offer was take it over leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Houston, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

I received an email from the site manager while I was still working at another job. After calling him and talking a little bit on the phone we realized that there would be no increase in my pay by coming to SoftLayer, but the location and benefits, as well as the type of work I would be exposed to were enough to make it worth my while. I came in for an interview and was impressed with the layout of the office and the datacenter as well as the relaxed mentality and attitudes of the employees. The interview went well and only took about thirty minutes. I emailed him later to thank him for the interview and he got back to me about two weeks later with a date he wanted me to report to HR.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me everything you know about computers"   1 Answer

Negotiation

starting pay for this position is non-negotiable but once you get in and prove yourself your yearly review is where you can re-negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

It took them months between me submitting my resume, at the request of an employee, to actually interviewing me... and then took another 3.5 weeks between the time I interviewed and the time they made their offer.. and then there was a further 2 weeks after that before I started.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any certifications?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiations seemed to be non-existent for this position. I was made to feel as if I didn't take exactly what they were offering, they would hire someone with no experience, straight out of ITT Tech.

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Sydney (Australia)) in September 2016.

Interview

Initial online interview was conducted by two site managers and the second online interview was with another site manager. They sent the invitation thru email and verified further via phone call.

Interview Questions

• Describe server troubleshooting   1 Answer