SoftLayer Software Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SoftLayer Software Engineer I Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Chapel Hill, NC) in November 2015.

Interview

Interview process was pretty typical for such a job. Lots of technical questions on theory as opposed to having to actually write code in front of them. Very pleasant people throughout the process. In fact, I feel bad because I do not think any of the people that I interacted with are the cause of the negative aspects of this company. I was offered the position, and accepted. I was almost done with the process of wrapping everything up and starting work, all I had left to do was sign the contract. Suddenly, I was informed that they have been under a hiring hold from up the chain somewhere in IBM (who owns SoftLayer). Apparently there was a miss-communication, or some other form of complete disorganization that allowed this to completely slip their minds over the long length of time that I was in contact with them. By this point, I had already declined other offers, so I now reside unemployed, thanks to the lack of communication between the chain of command in this company. This a classic example of what you do NOT want to happen when a cool startup is purchased by a large corporation.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for SoftLayer

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen where they asked the general "why are you looking to switch" and other personality questions. There were some basic technical questions to make sure that I knew what I was talking about.

The in-person interview takes about an hour and a half. Half an hour is spent with managers and is more of a personality interview. I was asked stuff like "what book most influenced you" and some basic stuff about what I've worked on before and what was something challenging I've worked on.

An hour was spent doing a technical interview with the developers on whose team I was going to be on. I interviewed for the interface team, so there were a lot of general JavaScript, jQuery and PHP questions; one question I was asked is why I would return and/or consume XML over JSON when using XmlHttpRequest. I was also about some SQL, including the difference between JOIN and LEFT JOIN, etc.

My advise would be that if you put something on your resume, know about it.

Interview Questions

• Why would you use XML over JSON when using ajax.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Like any other company, they'll try to low-ball you. Do your research to know what you're worth and make a counter-officer higher than what you want so that you can meet them in the middle.