Software Advice Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Software Advice Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2017

Senior Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Software Advice in March 2017.

Interview

Very strange interview. I was asked about my experience with PHP when I don't even have PHP on my resume and I did not apply for a job using PHP. I applied for the front-end developer role with EITHER Python or PHP experience, along with the usual HTML, CSS, and JavaScript - all of which I have experience with, including Python. At the time of my applying there are three engineering roles at the company for web or back-end development. The interviewer apparently got sidetracked and focused on a different job requisition. "When was the last time you did plumbing work?" "I'm an electrician."

As a senior engineer of many years experience coding in C/C++, perl, python, Java, and JavaScript, I was still rejected because I am somehow not competent enough to do “scripting” (interviewer is non-technical) because I don't have recent "professional" experience writing scripts. Okay, then. I've done an extensive amount of scripting in my career and competent in this area. They can pride themselves on rejecting very experienced engineers who can fix their code issues but they are still left with their problems, which is really sad. Their loss.

Some advice for the hiring managers at this company is to focus on hiring experienced engineers who can solve problems and not because they know trivial scripting languages. The process of engineering includes much more than writing code in any particular language.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience writing scripts?   1 Answer

Market Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

The recruiter emailed me a couple of days after I applied, asking to set up a phone interview. During the interview, she was very personable and easy to talk to. She didn't ask "gotcha" questions, which was refreshing. At the end of the call, she said she'd be reviewing my resume, and conferring with colleagues, and that she'd get back to me at the beginning of next week.

Interview Questions

• What's one thing, maybe from you previous experience, that you know you don't like doing?   1 Answer

SEO Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

I had an initial 30 minute phone screen with the recruiter, which was a low-pressure and friendly conversation about my background, the role, company culture, etc. I was immediately scheduled to come in to the office for an in-person interview.

I ended up having the flu the day of my interview, and they were very accommodating and understanding in rescheduling. The actual interview was conversational in nature; I met with a couple different managers and a VP, and it lasted about 90 minutes. They have a nice, hip, open office in the heart of SoCo with a pleasant atmosphere.

The day after my in-office interview, I was invited to the final step in the process, a "half workday in the life." I was told part of that would involve shadowing other team members, but that didn't happen. Instead, I was given an SEO-related assignment to complete on my own, and a rather long and difficult (though not "tricky") written multiple-choice test of my SEO knowledge. The last hour was a final interview with the manager and VP where we discussed how I felt about the role so far and my work on the test. I felt pretty good about my chances based on these combined experiences, in addition to the fact that they were hiring two people.

Unfortunately, I was not offered the position. However, I was very impressed with the respect I was shown throughout the process by every single person I encountered. The recruiter seemed genuinely excited to meet me. Communication was timely, as promised, and thorough. I felt the process was very fairly handled, and I would recommend this company to anyone.

Interview Questions

• What was the Hummingbird release on Google and what did it change?   Answer Question

Software Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screening asking a few questions about past experiences. Recruiter explained a bit about the company, work environment, etc. I progressed on to a video interview with 2 different managers. Asked same kind of questions about past experiences, leadership experience, conflict resolution etc.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Software Advice in January 2016.

Interview

-HR reached out and gave me the rundown of the overall vision for the company, and the position/opportunity they had. Scheduled a phone screen.
    -The phone call went great & lasted much longer than expected, in a good way. I learned about genuinely exciting avenues to explore, and everything else you could expect from an initial interview.
    -Following the call, I was scheduled to come in for a formal
    Interview, followed by a competency test.
    -I had to inform the company that I could no longer move forward because of my current position at a different company. It is bittersweet because whoever gets this job, if they have the skills to match, has a genuine future in marketing where there is undoubtably room for growth. I can only speak for marketing, but things are going an exciting way. No joke, I would have presented myself in the best way possible and jumped all over this opportunity at any other point in my career. Unfortunately/fortunately, my current position is in a stage of growth as well.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with the display network?   1 Answer

Market Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online remotely (from another state), and was contacted by the recruiter about a week later. She set up an initial phone interview for a week after that. The phone interview was very short, maybe 5 minutes total. She asked only a few questions before she decided that my work experience was not relevant enough to the job. I felt that was something that could have been determined in the resume screening process since nothing I said should have been a surprise looking at my resume and cover letter. Felt like a waste of time and gave me a false sense of thinking I had the opportunity to earn the position given that she did not get past very preliminary questions to see how I might perform in the role.

Interview Questions

• What sort of experience do you have writing about business and technology?   1 Answer

Social Media Advertising Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Just finished the phone screening interview, the questions are not difficult. One week later, the HR lady emailed me back and said I am not the perfect match. May be they thought I won't stay in company in a long term.

Interview Questions

• Why social media marketing, what is your short term goal or long term career goal?   Answer Question

Client Success Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very casual. I have a 30 minute phone interview, followed by an interview with the hiring managers. I was then invited to come in for a Day in the Life, where I shadowed the employees and learned about their job functions. They took me out to lunch and they I waited for the call.

Media Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

I had 3 interviews over the course of 2 weeks. The first was a 30 minute phone interview with a recruiter, where we mostly discussed how my past experience related to the position and what kind of qualifications I had.
    Next I went in for an interview and was there about 2.5 hours. I first met with a manager for the department who asked me all about my background. She started with my education, asking why I chose my major and what my favorite classes were (which I felt was odd, being that it's been almost 10 years since I graduated), and then she went through each job to ask about my responsibilities, what I liked/disliked, what were challenges, how my supervisor would describe me, etc. After that the director of the department came in and we had a more open conversation and dialog about my qualifications and background and how I might fit at the company. This was the time to ask any and all questions I had about the job.
    For the 3rd part, I came in for a 'day in the life.' I was given a work project (reading and summarizing a report, finding people in the media I could pitch it to and then writing the email pitches), got to meet with a couple employees very briefly and then had a debrief with the managers and director of the department.
    I thought it was so great that SA does the day in the life, because this was an opportunity for me to see that it was not the right fit for me. I expressed some doubt about my fit here and they ultimately ended up choosing another candidate, which I was happy about. I think it could be a great fit for the right person, this just wasn't right for me.

Product Content Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Preliminary phone interview, two in-person interviews one-on-one with a co-worker in the department and then the department head. They asked a pretty standard set of questions. Given a paid project (500 word essay about a current software trend) where I had to do research and contact sources within the tech community. Support was good throughout the project, although the guidelines for the project were pretty minimal.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is your interest in a career with Software Advice?   1 Answer