Software Advice Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Software Advice Interview Questions

Updated Oct 5, 2017

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Generally tedious interview. The recruiter girl, who may have been having a bad day, was overly snarky and rude. I’ve never come across this kind of attitude with an internal recruiter. Doesn’t reflect well on the company.

The role is actually for Front End Developer (w/ UX as a bonus). This should be made clear up front to avoid wasting everyone’s time.

Senior SEM Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

The recruiter is pretty quick at getting back to you once you apply. It's pretty standard like everywhere else for the first call. If you pass the first round, you'll go straight into the in-person interview. The in-person interview is pretty easy. Expect the interview to last a little over an hour and a half. Their office is off of South Congress in a hidden office. They are looking for more of a culture fit during this process and want to know more of your background.

I find this place a little interesting. They make you do an Excel project to test your skills. The downfall on all of this during the take home test is you're realizing the fact this company optimizes everything manually. You're probably going to think about campaigns, ad groups, etc. No they make you manually calculate CTR, Conv. Rate, Cost, Revenue, etc....down to which keyword losing money or performing. I believe it's important to know all of this stuff but sadden this company does not have an internal tool (i,e. Marin/Kenshoo) to pull all of their reports. That takes away from you learning up to date SEM/SEO best practices. You're just going to find yourself pulling data and working in Excel. The strangest thing about them not utilizing a tool is the fact that this company offers "software" for all types of industries out there looking for a tool to streamline their day-to-day internal process.

My advice for them? Invest in a management tool that can streamline all of the data for you by a click of a button. Then you will save time by not having your analysts manually pulling the results out of a spreadsheet. You'll be able to retain your employees and a team that will stay long term.

I did a lot of research on LinkedIn and found that a lot of former SEM Analysts do not stay long term at Software Advice. I reached out to a couple of them during my take home project and they also said the same thing about their day-to-day process while they were there with the manual reports.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about your experience?

2) What do you know about Gartner (Software Advice)?   Answer Question

SEO Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Software Advice.

Interview

Eh, I probably should have taken this interview more seriously than I did. The Software Advice recruiters had been hounding all my coworkers and me (at one point three separate recruiters had contacted me, and when I expressed some interest, I didn't even have to fill out an application), so I assumed they were desperate and did the interview on a lark. I went into the phone screening without much knowledge of what the company actually does, prepared to consider an offer if it was a step up in my career and if compensation was significantly better than what I was making with my current job. I deserved to get rejected, but I was still honestly shocked when it happened, because I cannot emphasize this enough: these people were THIRSTY.

If I could offer some quick feedback, I'd consider altering the recruiting strategies at this company. I don't think Software Advice has the best reputation around town, at least not in the SEO space, and I'm fairly certain it's because everyone and their mom gets inboxed by these guys every few weeks. Perhaps being a bit more selective and specific with your prospective candidates might be a good idea, rather than searching for a keyword on LinkedIn and spamming everyone who has ever used that keyword.

Anyway, the person I spoke to on the phone was really nice! I'm sure the company is great, thirsty recruiters aside.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer working with small businesses or on large sites?   1 Answer

Senior Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Software Advice in March 2017.

Interview

Very strange interview. I was asked about my experience with PHP when I don't even have PHP on my resume and I did not apply for a job using PHP. I applied for the front-end developer role with EITHER Python or PHP experience, along with the usual HTML, CSS, and JavaScript - all of which I have experience with, including Python. At the time of my applying there are three engineering roles at the company for web or back-end development. The interviewer apparently got sidetracked and focused on a different job requisition. "When was the last time you did plumbing work?" "I'm an electrician."

As a senior engineer of many years experience coding in C/C++, perl, python, Java, and JavaScript, I was still rejected because I am somehow not competent enough to do “scripting” (interviewer is non-technical) because I don't have recent "professional" experience writing scripts. Okay, then. I've done an extensive amount of scripting in my career and competent in this area. They can pride themselves on rejecting very experienced engineers who can fix their code issues but they are still left with their problems, which is really sad. Their loss.

Some advice for the hiring managers at this company is to focus on hiring experienced engineers who can solve problems and not because they know trivial scripting languages. The process of engineering includes much more than writing code in any particular language.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience writing scripts?   1 Answer

Market Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

The recruiter emailed me a couple of days after I applied, asking to set up a phone interview. During the interview, she was very personable and easy to talk to. She didn't ask "gotcha" questions, which was refreshing. At the end of the call, she said she'd be reviewing my resume, and conferring with colleagues, and that she'd get back to me at the beginning of next week.

Interview Questions

• What's one thing, maybe from you previous experience, that you know you don't like doing?   1 Answer

SEO Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

I had an initial 30 minute phone screen with the recruiter, which was a low-pressure and friendly conversation about my background, the role, company culture, etc. I was immediately scheduled to come in to the office for an in-person interview.

I ended up having the flu the day of my interview, and they were very accommodating and understanding in rescheduling. The actual interview was conversational in nature; I met with a couple different managers and a VP, and it lasted about 90 minutes. They have a nice, hip, open office in the heart of SoCo with a pleasant atmosphere.

The day after my in-office interview, I was invited to the final step in the process, a "half workday in the life." I was told part of that would involve shadowing other team members, but that didn't happen. Instead, I was given an SEO-related assignment to complete on my own, and a rather long and difficult (though not "tricky") written multiple-choice test of my SEO knowledge. The last hour was a final interview with the manager and VP where we discussed how I felt about the role so far and my work on the test. I felt pretty good about my chances based on these combined experiences, in addition to the fact that they were hiring two people.

Unfortunately, I was not offered the position. However, I was very impressed with the respect I was shown throughout the process by every single person I encountered. The recruiter seemed genuinely excited to meet me. Communication was timely, as promised, and thorough. I felt the process was very fairly handled, and I would recommend this company to anyone.

Interview Questions

• What was the Hummingbird release on Google and what did it change?   Answer Question

Software Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screening asking a few questions about past experiences. Recruiter explained a bit about the company, work environment, etc. I progressed on to a video interview with 2 different managers. Asked same kind of questions about past experiences, leadership experience, conflict resolution etc.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Software Advice in January 2016.

Interview

-HR reached out and gave me the rundown of the overall vision for the company, and the position/opportunity they had. Scheduled a phone screen.
    -The phone call went great & lasted much longer than expected, in a good way. I learned about genuinely exciting avenues to explore, and everything else you could expect from an initial interview.
    -Following the call, I was scheduled to come in for a formal
    Interview, followed by a competency test.
    -I had to inform the company that I could no longer move forward because of my current position at a different company. It is bittersweet because whoever gets this job, if they have the skills to match, has a genuine future in marketing where there is undoubtably room for growth. I can only speak for marketing, but things are going an exciting way. No joke, I would have presented myself in the best way possible and jumped all over this opportunity at any other point in my career. Unfortunately/fortunately, my current position is in a stage of growth as well.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with the display network?   1 Answer

Market Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online remotely (from another state), and was contacted by the recruiter about a week later. She set up an initial phone interview for a week after that. The phone interview was very short, maybe 5 minutes total. She asked only a few questions before she decided that my work experience was not relevant enough to the job. I felt that was something that could have been determined in the resume screening process since nothing I said should have been a surprise looking at my resume and cover letter. Felt like a waste of time and gave me a false sense of thinking I had the opportunity to earn the position given that she did not get past very preliminary questions to see how I might perform in the role.

Interview Questions

• What sort of experience do you have writing about business and technology?   1 Answer

Social Media Advertising Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Just finished the phone screening interview, the questions are not difficult. One week later, the HR lady emailed me back and said I am not the perfect match. May be they thought I won't stay in company in a long term.

Interview Questions

• Why social media marketing, what is your short term goal or long term career goal?   Answer Question