SolarCity Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 25, 2017

2.7

IT Support Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Mateo, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

1) Applied online for a job found on LinkedIn

2) Was called by Recruiter after 4 weeks to interview for a position applied for, had a phone screen to talk about qualifications on resume.

3) Recruiter then scheduled interviews with managers for a different role without full disclosure to applicant

4) Full job role they were interviewing for became apparent during the interview, but completed the interview as I was probably qualified to do this role as well.

5) Was told they would get back to me after they completed the interview process with all candidates

6) Was sent an e-mail via their workday system that the role I applied for was filled

Interview Questions

• What is your experience in managing Global teams ?   1 Answer

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SolarCity (Fremont, CA).

Interview

I received an email from a Recruiter and scheduled a phone screen. The same afternoon after the screen I was informed the Hiring Manager wanted to meet. I was given a date and time then was subsequently caught in a multiple-email ping pong match with Recruiting personnel about the updated date and time for the actual interview since it had to be rescheduled. That should have been a red flag. A time was scheduled that was not terribly convenient for me but worked for the Manager.

The interview was informal. The Hiring Manager asked me a few questions, I asked a few and it was over. Before i left the Hiring Manager told me he had all the information he needed and would choose the top 3 candidates from the first round to meet with the team for round 2.

Despite being qualified for the position I was informed they would be moving forward with someone else. I believe if I had a different look or belonged to the same ethnic group as the 2 team members I met I would have moved forward.

Field Energy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Mateo, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online, completed a online app. test, got a phone interview with a recruiter. Few days later, a 1st round interview with manager, and 2nd round interview with another manager. Mangers were all friendly, they're willing to explain the roles, company goals, and the career development. Just be yourself and answer/ask questions. Show your passion in the energy industry. Got the offer 1 day later with details on salary and the attractive full-time employee package.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about yourself.
      Why SolarCity?
      What's your experience?
      What do you know about the position?
      Are you able to handle "no"? Any example.
      Answer Question

Commercial Energy Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Mateo, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Fun interview, got to meet with with CEC manager, Director of channel sales, and a current CEC. Entire process took about an hour and was enjoyable. Didn't get an offer.

Structured Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I was referred internally by an employee of SolarCity. To begin the process, I had a phone screen with a recruiter to discuss my background and the role being offered. A few days following the phone screen, the recruiter set up a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager. Following that round, I was asked to complete an assignment testing my financial modeling and presentation skills to 3 members of the team in a video conference. Once I passed that round, I was asked to come in for an in-person "super day" where I met with 12 people from the team in 2-3 person interviews. Everyone was very nice and I genuinely enjoyed the interview process.

Senior Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Mateo, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Have two rounds of interview. First was over the phone and second was video call. The calls were scheduled based on our comfortable time. The phone interview goes for around 30 minutes. The video call interview goes for around 1 hour and 30 minutes. There will be at least 2 people interviewing during the video call. All the questions were basic and a little about your earlier experience.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about tables, triggers, sql performance tuning   Answer Question

Staff Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SolarCity (Fremont, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Very unprofessional...was asked questions about the job which I didn't even apply for, saying they were also looking for candidates for that job. Out of 4 interviews, only two interviewers showed up, the other two left because some urgent work came up.
    The interviewer went on and on about RF design, which wasn't even a part of the job description. Seemed really uninterested and hadn't even reviewed my resume before the interview.

Javascript Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview was a video chat over the course of about 45 minutes. Interviewer was in a cafe which I had never experienced before. I don't know if I'd recommend they do that again. Felt a tad bit unprofessional.

We chatted about the role and the culture of the company. He then asked several "high-level JS questions" none of which felt particularly geared toward assessing a candidate's abilities. I was expecting questions more along the lines of "You're trying to build a new version of FizzBuzz with these new parameters. Explain how you'd do it." Instead I got "When would you use an anonymous function?" I get that that is a reasonable question but not one I felt was worthwhile...

Anyway, I never heard anything back even after writing the interviewer a thank you email where he explicitly said I'd hear from HR. Yes I hear the silence. Loud and clear.

Interview Questions

• Describe the difference between classical and prototypal inheritance.   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Mateo, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at San Mateo, CA in February 2016. recruiter was very friendly and even the lady that greeted me at the door. cool office too!

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral interview that went very smooth. You will likely be asked questions about your teamwork skills, your interpersonal relations, your management style or your ability to work in a diverse environment. Review the job posting again and try to anticipate other likely areas of questioning, and prepare honest and concise answers that highlight relevant aspects of your work history and life experience. Remember that there may be questions you must relate to urself   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SolarCity (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Three half-hour interviews, with whiteboarding. One, half-hour interview with culture fit questions and whiteboarding. Met with manager, principal front-end, principal back-end, principal full-stack. Mostly toy type questions and experience with different technologies such as Angular, Angular 2, React. Questions about database technologies, building and consuming API's. They were all really great people, the culture fit part of it was a bit difficult as it should be.

Interview Questions

• Why would you choose Angular or React for a specific project.   1 Answer