Solazyme Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Solazyme Interview Questions

2.7

N/A Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Solazyme.

Interview

Interviews are one on one sessions set up with up to six people from various departments. Because of the variety of interviewers, what you are asked can range from very generic interview questions(HR) to very in-depth technical skills test question to hosting a presentation in front of groups describing previous projects you've worked on.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Solazyme (South San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and only heard back from the hiring manager 2+ months later. There was no phone screening, and I immediately went into the office for an hour and a half long interview. I never heard from Solazyme again, which is an incredibly unprofessional and devaluing method of rejection.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Solazyme (South San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

the person emailed me the second day I applied. We scheduled a phone interview the next day. She asked me questions about personality and working experience. The whole interview lasted for about 50 min. She's nice and friendly. However, I'm now waiting for her reply. it has been 4 days.

Interview Questions

• How will your previous professor who I've been working for rate your performance   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Solazyme (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online and got phone call from HR after 2 weeks followed by 2 more phone interviews last interview was in person. The last interview at site was not really organized and it seemed they are struggling with cheap oil prices and pushing the limits in all fields hardly.
    Not really felt welcome there since I was expecting to get a tour of the facility but did not!

Interview Questions

• Create a challenging situation and find the solution for it.   Answer Question

Regulatory Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Solazyme.

Interview

Applied online for Algenist, heard back after 1 month via email. After the email had a 45 minute phone screen with an HR person and was called 10 minutes after for another phone interview a few days later with the hiring manager. Had another ~45 minute phone interview and heard the next day they liked me and wanted to set up a panel interview plus another phone interview the day before the panel interview. So far 3 ~45 minute phone interviews and a panel interview set. I was supposed to be contacted by another HR person however this person e-mailed me with wrong date and day which I had to call to re-confirm and ask of the error. I wasn't asked if this panel interview date or time was ok with me it was just set by the HR person. Then the HR person sent me a confirmation email with another candidate's name and information, phone number and again the wrong date to which they tried to cancel and recall the email but I still saw all the "recalled" emails.

The HR person who set the panel interview was not present on my interview day so it was very disorganized and did not follow schedule. Top of that had to pay $8 parking and was not offered the job even though the interviews went very well. Was very disorganized but the panel interview went well.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions personality questions- why do you want to work here, how would your boss/friends describe you, etc.   Answer Question

Consumer Nutrition Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Solazyme in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted roughly two months after applying on the website. I had three interviews total: two with the VP of consumer nutrition products and one with the brand manager. I believe the process took about a week and a half/ two weeks before I got offered with a position.

Interview Questions

• Mostly I got asked questions about my field of studies and my experience in marketing.   Answer Question

Research Associate- Analytical Chemistry Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Solazyme (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by the Director of Analytics via telephone approximately two months after submitting my application. I talked to him on the phone for approximately forty minutes about the position, at the end of which, being interested in the position, he said an hr representative would send me an e-mail to schedule an interview. I was contacted within the next few days with the interview time and a list of the people whom I would be meeting.

The first interview consisted of meeting all the members of the department I would be working in. I spent an hour with the Director, and approximately 45 minutes with the senior research associate and each of the three other analytics research associates. The director informed me of the flow of samples through the lab from the other departments and other aspects of the labs operation. The questions directed at me were all appropriate for the work being done. The interview lasted approximately four hours at the end of which I was informed the hr representative would be contacting me for a second interview with an internal application with desired salary/ etc.

I was contacted with the attachments and the interview schedule. This interview was longer, approximately five hours, and consisted of interviews again with all the members of the department I would be working in, as well as the directors of all the other departments. This interview was more technical than the last, though not egregiously so. At the conclusion I was interviewed by some hiring representative would didn't say much besides "your requested salary seems a lot higher than your last job." My last job was a gig I had before I graduated that was 10$/ hr plus commission. I replied by saying "well, I now have a degree and a friend of mine with the same degree has a similar salary as an entry level lab technician." After that the interview concluded and I was informed I would be contacted if they wanted to make an offer.

Another note is that for both interviews, they provided lunch, which was very hospitable and nice.

Interview Questions

• The Director of QC asked me if there had been a background correction while using an ICP-OES for trace determination on my graduation project. I froze up for a second because the background correction had been done by the Professor who operated the ICP, so I at first said I wasn't sure, but then changed my answer to yes.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was contacted by the Director of Analytics who informed me I would receive an offer letter via email. I received the offer letter which stated the salary I had desired, signed it and forwarded to the company.

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Solazyme (South San Francisco, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Recruiting team was excellent. Got back to me quickly and answered a lot of questions. I felt very prepared for the interview. The Business Development team seemed a bit disorganized. Everyone has their own agenda which is normal, I suspect. Solazyme has really interesting technology but they are picky. I wasn't chosen for a second interview because I didn't have enough industry experience. I really enjoyed the interview experience and hope they will call me in the future.

Interview Questions

• If I could create a position for you that would encompass everything you are looking for in your next job, what would that position look like?   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Solazyme (South San Francisco, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

I was contacted by HR via phone and answered some basic initial questions. The HR person was very pleasant and fun to talk with both on the phone at at the on site interview. I had a short conversation with the hiring manager on the phone and they indicated that the HR person would contact me to set up an on site interview. It took a few days before the HR person contacted me, and the interview was scheduled several days later due to difficulties scheduling all of the necessary people. At the on site interview, I spoke to several people individually and gave a presentation. Everyone was very friendly and pleasant. It seems like it would be a very nice environment to work in.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you can do to help the program advance?   Answer Question