Solstice Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.5

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview was pretty straightforward. They make you write a mobile application of a contact list using an API they have online. You have about 2 days to do it. If you pass this, they will have you do two skype interviews. One of them is entirely behavioral, seeing if you are personable enough to be a consultant. The other is more technical in nature, asking about basic object-oriented questions and basic android development questions.

The pay was well below other entry-level software jobs in Chicago, but the office and people were very nice. Overall, I came out with a positive view of the company.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a relative layout and linear layout?   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

1st: HR Screen with some high level questions
    2nd: 30 minute phone interview with a manager
    3rd: 30 minute interview with "peers", 15 minute presentation on a critique of an existing product with 15 minute Q&A with a manager and peers, 30 minute interview with a manager

Interview Questions

• Q: Create a presentation and critique a current digital experience.   1 Answer

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied on 8/4/2017 and had a non-technical phone interview with HR on 8/8. Then I was given a Contact Restful API project to complete within 48 hours.

After completing and submitting the project, I was scheduled for a technical phone interview which consisted of talking about the implementation/design of the Contact project submitted earlier, general OOP concepts, and RESTful design principles.

Next I was scheduled for a final BlueJeans online interview with two technical leads and a senior technical lead. We discussed my background, interests, and some basic OOP concepts. Make sure to stress your passion for learning and adapting to agile environments!

Less than a week later I was presented with an offer letter.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a 401 and 403 response code in REST?   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone screen, followed by in person interview by a senior and mid or junior interviewers. The phone screen was mostly high level and behavioral questions (nothing technical). The in-person interview lasted about 30 minutes with mostly surface level technical questions. Oddly, no questions about details of past experiences and projects.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between an AngularJS controller and directive?   1 Answer

Android Developer (Java) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through Built In Chicago in March 2017. Six days later I received an email from a recruiter at Solstice saying they’d like to set up a phone call to discuss the Android Developer role further. I had the phone call with the recruiter where we discussed my resume, educational history, internship history/duties, and technical projects I’ve completed. Before the phone call was over the recruiter asked if I’d like to do the coding challenge and when. I accepted the coding challenge and took the coding challenge then and there. That same day -- shortly after our phone call -- the recruiter sent me another email with the coding challenge which I had to complete in 2 days. Technically I had to submit the assignment by 11am two days later, but the recruiter told me I could submit up until the end of the business day.

The coding challenge was a two-page PDF titled New Hire Evaluation Project where I had to build a Contact List Android app which connected to their AWS endpoint which had contact data in JSON format. The PDF provided a wireframe as to what the Contact List screen should look like (small picture with contact name and phone number below it) and then what the Contact Details screen should look like (big picture, name, company, phone, address, birthday, email, etc.). The PDF had suggestions such as keeping the app simple and leverage available libraries and to submit the project at your earliest convenience (within 24-48 hours) to the recruiter. I also was required to write a document describing how I went about making, structuring the app, and explaining why I did the things I did in code. I just took the two full days.

I submitted the project file, along with the debug-apk, and the write-up in a ZIP to the recruiter. Six days later I received an email from the recruiter that the developer who reviewed my submitted coding challenge had positive feedback for me and that they would like for me to come in and meet with some more of the team. I sent my availability that same day for a time to go to their office and meet. The next day the recruiter emailed me confirming that they’ll set up a conversation for one of the available times I provided to them and then send me the details. Two days later I received an email on from the recruiter that they had a meeting reviewing their hiring needs and that they now have a hold on hiring for their Android developer role, and that their current team is able to cover their needs. This email came in the beginning of April 2017.

I emailed the recruiter back thanking them for the opportunity and wished them the best.

Regardless of the outcome of the situation, the recruiter was pleasant and was prompt in their email responses.

And that was it.

Heh heh heh!

Interview Questions

• I only had the phone screening as mentioned above. I did not have a technical interview.   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online in early 2016.

First I was given a phone call about a week later where I spoke to a recruiter who informed me about the company and went over my resume with me. The phone call was pleasant and very informative.

Next I was given assigned a simple mobile application to create over the weekend. It didn't take too long, but I had fun with it. The instructions were pretty clear and laid out a few suggestions on how to implement it.

After writing my app and sending it in, I was asked to come in for a few on-site interviews. They were a mix of both behavioral and technical questions, with a total of two interviews. The first put me with two developers, and the second had me interview with a single developer. Both were relatively casual and Solstice was very helpful and reliable throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Basic OOP Concepts such as term definitions. A few questions about my app and what I could do to improve it.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

1.) Intro call
    2.) Assesmemt tests
    3.) 1:1 Interview
    4.) Onsite

It was lack luster and unprofessional. Companies that base their fit on a test are behind the times vs. Google, Facebook who get to know the capabilities of candidate.

Senior Manager of Marketing and Brand Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

The process was smooth. First a phone screen where the HR person talked a lot about the company and asked very few questions about my background. Then a phone interview with the hiring manager who did ask about my background but was not specific in what they were looking for in the person to fill the role. Heard back relatively quickly about the results which was considerate.

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

I participated in three interviews thought the process. The first was a phone interview with an HR representative discussing mostly general personality questions with a few general design questions. The second was a phone interview with a designer talking about some general personality questions with a focus on design and my portfolio. The third interview was a Skype interview, I was asked to prepare a 5-10min presentation to present to three members of the design team. In addition to this they asked questions about professional situations and my design and collaboration skills.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through one of your projects.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time where you had to collaborate with a team member who was not cooperative.   Answer Question

Junior Client Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

The Interview process took about a month. So much was happening at the time that HR had a bit of a backlog and could be slow at getting back. The interview came in three parts. Two phone interviews and a set of in-person interviews. I managed to get past all three. Solstice was different from other companies I've interviewed with. They seemed genuinely interested in what I could bring to the position, and I believe they bring this welcoming feel to all of their recruits.

First was a phone interview with HR. Asking how I found out about the company, how long I've known the person who referred me. Why Solstice, what are some of your passions about tech, etc.

Second interview was with someone whom I later found out would be my boss. A lot of the same questions as the previous interview. Discussed some excel skills, my college background, and learned more about Solstice. Once again, over the phone.

Third interview is an in-person interview. Met with the person from the second phone call, and then director of Finance. I was supposed to meet with the CFO, but he was called into a meeting at the last minute. These interviews were a bit more in depth. You learn a lot more specifics about the job, and they ask more technical questions on things like excel skills and how you can apply your specific skills and background.

Things went well. Left the office being told that I would be getting coffee with the CFO. Things were good. Until a week later when I received an email saying Solstice had decided cut the position and not hire anyone at all. I was told I'd be kept on record and that the position could very well come back. That was over four months ago.

Even though the rug was a little swept out from under me.. The interview process was fine. The people were very courteous. I just wish they had done a little more thinking about whether or not they actually needed the position before they let anyone get to the final round interviews.

Interview Questions

• What tech on the horizon are you excited about?
      Did you happen read about (insert recent tech new event here)
      What is a past accomplishment that illustrates your capabilities regarding what you can bring to the job?
      What is your experience in excel?   Answer Question