Solstice Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online in early 2016.

First I was given a phone call about a week later where I spoke to a recruiter who informed me about the company and went over my resume with me. The phone call was pleasant and very informative.

Next I was given assigned a simple mobile application to create over the weekend. It didn't take too long, but I had fun with it. The instructions were pretty clear and laid out a few suggestions on how to implement it.

After writing my app and sending it in, I was asked to come in for a few on-site interviews. They were a mix of both behavioral and technical questions, with a total of two interviews. The first put me with two developers, and the second had me interview with a single developer. Both were relatively casual and Solstice was very helpful and reliable throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Basic OOP Concepts such as term definitions. A few questions about my app and what I could do to improve it.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

1.) Intro call
    2.) Assesmemt tests
    3.) 1:1 Interview
    4.) Onsite

It was lack luster and unprofessional. Companies that base their fit on a test are behind the times vs. Google, Facebook who get to know the capabilities of candidate.

Senior Manager of Marketing and Brand Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

The process was smooth. First a phone screen where the HR person talked a lot about the company and asked very few questions about my background. Then a phone interview with the hiring manager who did ask about my background but was not specific in what they were looking for in the person to fill the role. Heard back relatively quickly about the results which was considerate.

Interview Questions

• Do I know the types of people who are their customers?   Answer Question

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

I participated in three interviews thought the process. The first was a phone interview with an HR representative discussing mostly general personality questions with a few general design questions. The second was a phone interview with a designer talking about some general personality questions with a focus on design and my portfolio. The third interview was a Skype interview, I was asked to prepare a 5-10min presentation to present to three members of the design team. In addition to this they asked questions about professional situations and my design and collaboration skills.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through one of your projects.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time where you had to collaborate with a team member who was not cooperative.   Answer Question

Junior Client Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

The Interview process took about a month. So much was happening at the time that HR had a bit of a backlog and could be slow at getting back. The interview came in three parts. Two phone interviews and a set of in-person interviews. I managed to get past all three. Solstice was different from other companies I've interviewed with. They seemed genuinely interested in what I could bring to the position, and I believe they bring this welcoming feel to all of their recruits.

First was a phone interview with HR. Asking how I found out about the company, how long I've known the person who referred me. Why Solstice, what are some of your passions about tech, etc.

Second interview was with someone whom I later found out would be my boss. A lot of the same questions as the previous interview. Discussed some excel skills, my college background, and learned more about Solstice. Once again, over the phone.

Third interview is an in-person interview. Met with the person from the second phone call, and then director of Finance. I was supposed to meet with the CFO, but he was called into a meeting at the last minute. These interviews were a bit more in depth. You learn a lot more specifics about the job, and they ask more technical questions on things like excel skills and how you can apply your specific skills and background.

Things went well. Left the office being told that I would be getting coffee with the CFO. Things were good. Until a week later when I received an email saying Solstice had decided cut the position and not hire anyone at all. I was told I'd be kept on record and that the position could very well come back. That was over four months ago.

Even though the rug was a little swept out from under me.. The interview process was fine. The people were very courteous. I just wish they had done a little more thinking about whether or not they actually needed the position before they let anyone get to the final round interviews.

Interview Questions

• What tech on the horizon are you excited about?
      Did you happen read about (insert recent tech new event here)
      What is a past accomplishment that illustrates your capabilities regarding what you can bring to the job?
      What is your experience in excel?
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

I had three rounds, first was phone screen with recruiter. Then was given a coding challenge to complete, later had a chat with developer over the phone to review my code then went in for a in house interview, first round was technical with developer and tech lead. Then had a conversation with director level person, very nice conversation about my interests and technology. They try to figure out if you can fit in. But recruiter haven gotten back yet after a week.

Interview Questions

• Basic oop questions and basic android development questions   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Terrible interview process, they didn't organize their own schedule... They wasted my time. Some of them were so nice and some of them were rude. Plus, the interviewers had no idea what kind of questions they need to ask me.

Interview Questions

• They asked me why I wanted to work at Solstice Mobile.   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

There was an initial talk with a secretary to get a feel for what I was looking for and what technologies I was familiar with, but it was not a technical interview, just an initial attempt to see if I sounded like what they're used to/looking for. After the initial discussion with the secretary, she e-mailed me a weekend Android project. The project was to build a weather app.

Interview Questions

• Based upon my resume, I was asked things like: "describe how OAuth works."   1 Answer
    • What are the core aspects to object-oriented programming?   1 Answer
    • What is inheritance? What is polymorphism?   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between hashing and encryption?   Answer Question

Mobile Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Easy, code challenge, then in person. Nothing tricky just know your iOS and Algorithms and Data Structures. Be clear with you answers, make sure you're ready to describe team work etc.

Interview Questions

• When would you use a Singleton?   1 Answer

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

Had an initial interview with somebody in HR in order to get a gauge on my resume and qualifications. Then set up an interview with another person who had experience with the job. I talked with him for about 45 minutes expressing how I would have wanted to work there as I was looking for a job in a tech field. Then received an email from the original HR person saying how I "Wasn't excited enough" about the job. I don't know how they can determine that from a phone call saying how much I would like to work there.