Solstice Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

1. Featured Interview

Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online in early 2016.

First I was given a phone call about a week later where I spoke to a recruiter who informed me about the company and went over my resume with me. The phone call was pleasant and very informative.

Next I was given assigned a simple mobile application to create over the weekend. It didn't take too long, but I had fun with it. The instructions were pretty clear and laid out a few suggestions on how to implement it.

After writing my app and sending it in, I was asked to come in for a few on-site interviews. They were a mix of both behavioral and technical questions, with a total of two interviews. The first put me with two developers, and the second had me interview with a single developer. Both were relatively casual and Solstice was very helpful and reliable throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Basic OOP Concepts such as term definitions. A few questions about my app and what I could do to improve it.   Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Solstice.

Interview

1st round screen, 2nd round phone interview. 3rd round in person interviews with 3 people and an app critique.

Everything was fine for the most part. I was turned down for not having experience, which seemed strange that I would even get to the last round if I didn't have enough experience. Either their vetting process is off or they lied.

Interview Questions

• What projects have you worked on?

What's your experience with agile?

If we gave you 15 million to start a company what would you do?

What do you do for fun?
      Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone screen, followed by in person interview by a senior and mid or junior interviewers. The phone screen was mostly high level and behavioral questions (nothing technical). The in-person interview lasted about 30 minutes with mostly surface level technical questions. Oddly, no questions about details of past experiences and projects.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between an AngularJS controller and directive?   1 Answer

Android Developer (Java) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through Built In Chicago in March 2017. Six days later I received an email from a recruiter at Solstice saying they’d like to set up a phone call to discuss the Android Developer role further. I had the phone call with the recruiter where we discussed my resume, educational history, internship history/duties, and technical projects I’ve completed. Before the phone call was over the recruiter asked if I’d like to do the coding challenge and when. I accepted the coding challenge and took the coding challenge then and there. That same day -- shortly after our phone call -- the recruiter sent me another email with the coding challenge which I had to complete in 2 days. Technically I had to submit the assignment by 11am two days later, but the recruiter told me I could submit up until the end of the business day.

The coding challenge was a two-page PDF titled New Hire Evaluation Project where I had to build a Contact List Android app which connected to their AWS endpoint which had contact data in JSON format. The PDF provided a wireframe as to what the Contact List screen should look like (small picture with contact name and phone number below it) and then what the Contact Details screen should look like (big picture, name, company, phone, address, birthday, email, etc.). The PDF had suggestions such as keeping the app simple and leverage available libraries and to submit the project at your earliest convenience (within 24-48 hours) to the recruiter. I also was required to write a document describing how I went about making, structuring the app, and explaining why I did the things I did in code. I just took the two full days.

I submitted the project file, along with the debug-apk, and the write-up in a ZIP to the recruiter. Six days later I received an email from the recruiter that the developer who reviewed my submitted coding challenge had positive feedback for me and that they would like for me to come in and meet with some more of the team. I sent my availability that same day for a time to go to their office and meet. The next day the recruiter emailed me confirming that they’ll set up a conversation for one of the available times I provided to them and then send me the details. Two days later I received an email on from the recruiter that they had a meeting reviewing their hiring needs and that they now have a hold on hiring for their Android developer role, and that their current team is able to cover their needs. This email came in the beginning of April 2017.

I emailed the recruiter back thanking them for the opportunity and wished them the best.

Regardless of the outcome of the situation, the recruiter was pleasant and was prompt in their email responses.

And that was it.

Heh heh heh!

Interview Questions

• I only had the phone screening as mentioned above. I did not have a technical interview.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Solstice (New York, NY).

Interview

Unprofessional - don't waste your time. Lengthy, and completely unrealistic. No followup - I assume the company works the same way they interview so you probably will lose credibility with customers.

Interview Questions

• A long long series of trivial assessments.   1 Answer

Director of Client Engagement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I spoke with the recruiter based out of Chicago. She was interested in my background, past client engagement, wins, client management, sales team management, communication style etc.
    We had a fairly good back and forth conversation.

Towards the end of the conversation, she alerted me that she would be sending over an assessment test. I should have cut the interview off at that point. I wanted to tell her, "the early 90's called and they want their hiring practices back".
    It turned out there were actually three separate personality tests. I took them but, I've never done well on these Myers Briggs tests, ever. Kinda like Algebra II, my eyes glaze over and I start guessing.

It took her three weeks to get back to me because the teachers grading the tests weren't able to get to them to give the results.

I flunked all three. No further interviews. It's their hiring process, not a bad thing. Just not a fit for my style.

Interview Questions

• Can't recall. It was more of a free flowing loose conversation about my past accomplishments, sales quota attainment, communication style, hunter/farmer. Basic stuff   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

1.) Intro call
    2.) Assesmemt tests
    3.) 1:1 Interview
    4.) Onsite

It was lack luster and unprofessional. Companies that base their fit on a test are behind the times vs. Google, Facebook who get to know the capabilities of candidate.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Solstice in June 2016.

Interview

I've been in the industry for nearly 10 years and I've never had as poor an interview experience as I did at Solstice. They claim to be maturing from startup-hood to adolescence, but it felt like an early days start-up to me.

The internal hiring team was disorganized and, ultimately, pretty disrespectful of my time as a candidate. I was asked to create a 30 min marketing plan presentation (a not insignificant ask) -- only to arrive at my interview to find the hiring manager wasn't available due to a client emergency. I get client emergencies, but a basic level of communication/respect was missing. I was then told that the rest of my scheduled interview would be starting 30 min late. Getting an email/phone call with this info in advance would have been appropriate to say the least.

Four days later, I'm told they aren't even hiring for the role I was interviewing for. I felt like I was being pumped for ideas, but after receiving a call from the hiring manager (who was kind and apologetic), I don't think there was malicious or nefarious intent - but still a bad experience.

The company's mission/work is interesting and I enjoyed the people I met. . . just don't expect a 15-year old company on the other end.

Interview Questions

• If I were to write a press release about this position as it relates to your career, what would it say?   Answer Question

Senior Manager of Marketing and Brand Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

The process was smooth. First a phone screen where the HR person talked a lot about the company and asked very few questions about my background. Then a phone interview with the hiring manager who did ask about my background but was not specific in what they were looking for in the person to fill the role. Heard back relatively quickly about the results which was considerate.

Interview Questions

• Do I know the types of people who are their customers?   Answer Question

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Solstice (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

I participated in three interviews thought the process. The first was a phone interview with an HR representative discussing mostly general personality questions with a few general design questions. The second was a phone interview with a designer talking about some general personality questions with a focus on design and my portfolio. The third interview was a Skype interview, I was asked to prepare a 5-10min presentation to present to three members of the design team. In addition to this they asked questions about professional situations and my design and collaboration skills.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through one of your projects.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time where you had to collaborate with a team member who was not cooperative.   Answer Question