Sonatype Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Sonatype

3.2

Customer Success Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype (Remote, OR) in January 2018.

Interview

Initial discussion with recruiter. He asked great questions and made me feel very welcomed to ask questions of him. He was very clear on next steps and what to expect along the entire interview process, as well as how the decision to hire is made. Next, I completed a well-designed take home project, and proceeded with an additional 6 or so interviews with team members, manager, and VP. Each interview was about an hour, all conducted via video. Each interviewer set a conversational, easy tone while remaining very professional. I can say I truly enjoyed talking with each person. As someone else said in a recent review, I agree that "it is a pretty big time investment for candidates, but the company is also investing time to thoroughly vet them. It is very apparent that they care about hiring high quality, thoughtful people". It's well worth the time you put in, if the job and the organizational culture fit your preferred style of work. The entire process was smooth from start to finish. All interviews were done remotely.

Interview Questions

• Asked thoughtful questions throughout, and honed in on my experience with specific goals of the team in mind.   Answer Question

Security Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype (Remote, OR) in January 2019.

Interview

The interview process was quite extensive - there was a phone screen by the recruiter followed by a video conference with him. This was followed by a phone call with the hiring manager and a take home assignment related to the job. Upon making it past the assignment phase, there were 45-60 min video calls with 4 members of the team.

Interview Questions

• What is Cross-site Request Forgery?   Answer Question
    • What type of attacks can be carried out on a website (the interviewer showed a website mock-up)?   Answer Question
    • What's your favorite vulnerability? (Follow up questions were based on this)   Answer Question

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype (Remote, OR) in May 2019.

Interview

Two interviews with the point of contact in my country, one with the engineering manager in the united states, one take home exercise, three othertechnical interviews with peers. The first interviews with the recruiter were mostly about the position and how to make my CV look better for them, then I went on with the engineering manager for the project which were general questions about java and my carreer and finally a take home exercise which I was told to work on at my own pace. I was working at the moment, so I told them I could start on it the week after I got the assignment. Worked hard on it, submitted it and I got a plain email saying they thanked me for the effort and that they would like to stop the process at that point. Zero feedback from the test eventhough it's a lengthy one and an email for several day's worth of work

Interview Questions

• Java keywords like the difference between final finally and finalize, design questions like what to do when you need to connect two systems one of them calling an async service of the other and not having the oportunity to make a callback   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sonatype (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2018.

Interview

I applied for Backend Software Engineer. I didn't make it past the video conversation with the recruiter but I have laid out what the process will be like, Overall it has been a great learning experience for me and the feedback received was actually very useful compared to other companies I have applied.

1. An initial phone screen with recruiter.
    2. Video interview with recruiter.
    3. Technical screening with folks from Engineering
    4. Take home assignment
    5. Interview with Senior Management.

Interview Questions

• How much salary are you seeking?   1 Answer
    • What companies are you interviewing for? and where does Sonatype stand?   Answer Question

Software Backend Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2018.

Interview

- Phone pre-screening: we discussed about the position, my past experiences and strong skills.
    - Technical pre-screening: Questions to be answered using coderpad.io and conference
    - Take home
    - Presentation for company team

Interview Questions

• Implement HashCode and Equals
      Difference between HashCode and Equals
      What are Immutable classes? Why use them on Maps?
      How to use synchronized blocks?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype in October 2017.

Interview

A great HR.
    I've read the interview review of 'Senior Engineer' which was helpful.
    This was his advice to the management:
    Advice to management:
    1) Define your expectations during the technical challenge, and make sure they are clearly communicated to the candidate.
    2) 90%+ of software engineers around the world are not open source contributors. If you have a doubt about a candidate that you didn't see enough of his code, ask him to start with the code challenge before the interviews. This will save at least 10 man hours in your time sheets.

Sonatype listened to #1. They moved the coding exercise to the beginning of the process.
    #2 was not so lucky yet. No expectations were stated and I had to play a crystal ball game. I fell on the other end of the referenced interview review. Being warned of potential overengineering I came up with the simplest approach that worked. And it was not good enough.

Here is the feedback I received. Hope it'll help:
    - I'm seeing only sparse comments and no javadoc either
    - It's a shame, his solution is off the mark in terms of a truly multi-thread accessible construct but coding is pretty tight
    - The missing commentary, tests and build are all pretty telling
    - Didn't attempt to handle any sort of graceful shutdown in the producer/consumer (I asked specifically the guy, who handled the assignment to me if I should implement the shutdown, the answer was - no)
    - But the major issue is no tests and no build infrastructure

Summary of expectations: Javadoc, comments, tests, and build process (?) are expected.
    I am totally not sure about the build infrastructure. Maybe they meant maven (after all it's a maven company), or an IDE? Especially me working in Win environment and them, most likely, in Unix.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype.

Interview

After initial phone screening got contact details for 5 team members, scheduled 1:1 video calls with them. None of that brain-teaser 'how would you implement a red-black tree using only nand gates' kind-of-nonsense. I think the process has changed somewhat since then (2015).

Interview Questions

• Mostly background, what have I been working on recently and such   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype in September 2016.

Interview

mixed experience:

Pros:
    1)Very good HR! Will help you to make things work.

2)Interviewers are smart, some of them are super engineers (participated in JVM implementation, contributed to open source frameworks, etc). If you have done your homework and checked the company and the interviewers' blog, you will enjoy the process of preparation and might even learn some interesting information.

You will have to prepare really well (read at least Java concurrency in action, a lot of de facto interview questions in Java, spring and Databases).

3)Interesting product, used by millions of developers worldwide.

Cons:
    1)Very time and energy consuming process (6 interviews over 5 weeks). Do it only when you don't work long hours and not engaged with other potential employers.

2)You are the one who is supposed to make things happen.It's a 100% distributed environment. HR will give you contacts of the interviewers. And as usual, some people are more responsive than others. And then you will have to send reminders and get back to HR to ask them to ping the interviewers.

3)Individual Interviewers are 100% able to decide the interview style. Some of them are more objective/quantitative than others. I had at least one interview that was just chat about general Java and I had the impression that the decision will be based on the interviewer's gut feeling more than anything else.

4)The metrics to grade the technical "challenge" was not well communicated to me. According to previous experiences with other multi national tier A companies, the exam is supposed to test your coding and design abilities and ignore minor typos. However, it turned out that Sonatype would rather have a solution in POJO with the right indentation and with no spelling mistakes than a well designed solution.

So for me it was a 5 week process. It started with initial contact with HR ,and then an HR screening. Next week i had an initial 1 hour phone screening with a senior engineer. It was basic Java and database questions. After a few days I was told they want to proceed.

Over 3rd,4th and 5th weeks I had to arrange my interviews myself with another 4 resources. 3 of the 4 interviews were purely technical(Check next section for details). The 4th one was with an agile coach, so it was about the difference between Kanban and Agile,working remotely, etc.

The interviews were not easy, I was informed by HR that the feedback " was very positive.", however, they want me to take a code challenge before giving an offer!

It was a simple problem related to data conversion. I saw a similar problem a few months ago in "cracking the code interview" so it took me only a few hours to solve it.

Then I decided to make things look "nicer" and to show my design abilities. I changed the scope to add the notion of "conversion by language", added a caching layer to save the string literals, a base Converter class that my class extends,a factory class. I also added test classes that cover almost every case and also test data validation in case of wrong data. Finally i created a .sh file and a deployment descriptor in a pom file and a readme. I did this over the course of the weekend because I needed to get an final answer within the week since other companies had already started to give me concrete offers and I had to reply.

The solution was correct, sound and concrete, in the right time and space complexity using the least number of variables (with minimal String pool exhaustion). An extra effort had been made to make the program more like a library that is open for new features.

Again I had to follow up to get the reviews done. I finally was informed that the interviewer was busy with a client and was now able to review my code. A few hours later I got a call from HR informing me that they rejected my candidacy because the solution was over designed and they were some issues like occasional spelling mistakes and variable, method or package accidentally not following lowerCamelCase and extra white spaces.

Advice: They hand pick their engineers. So expect a long tiring interview process that lasts for at least a month and that might not end up well because of the smallest missing detail, so take your time and be a perfectionist without over engineering!!!

Advice to management:

Interview Questions

• design patterns, to multi threading. Problem solving, high transaction volume database, IOC frameworks(and differences between them), dead locks, databases, Nosql and sql, atomic transactions, performance, availability, some questions about my past experiences and the solutions I designed. They also discussed a bit of my experience with working remotely.The 4th one was with an agile coach, so it was about the difference between Kanban and Agile,working remotely, etc.   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Sonatype.

Interview

They pretty much expect the moon on a stick, I found that they are pretty much looking for the technical skills of a developer rather than a support engineer and even allow and encourage support engineers to edit the source code. Not surprisingly, product still has Java level deadlocks (says a a lot about how well written it is) and from what I gathered, sharing knowledge between staff is not well organized, despite being remote, there is no online accessible training/leaning portal.

Interview Questions

• All sorts of questions developers would normally know e.g. about Docker   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2019.

Interview

Sleepy, scruffy interviewers over web cam. After 7 interviews they ghosted and stopped responding to emails. They sweetly promised feedback at the onset but they will drop you like a sack. Just avoid this company unless you have contributed heavily to open source software.

Interview Questions

• What are the differences between Java and JavaScript?   Answer Question
    • What open source software have you contributed to and can we see the Github URLs?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you deserve this job?   Answer Question