Sonatype Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sonatype Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Sonatype

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sonatype (Remote, OR) in August 2017.

Interview

Only did the phone screen, which was quite weird, the interviewer did not seem very prepared; it was more a Q&A discussion about the company than a clear presentation, and the input was quite limited.

Was not selected for the next interviews and the recruiter never explained why, which is not respectful.

Interview Questions

• Usual phone screen question related to the past experience, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sonatype

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Sonatype (Telephone, TX) in June 2018.

Interview

I applied for this remote position and a few days later had a phone screen set up with their HR specialist. The interviewer asked about my previous experience along with what I liked best about remote work and past projects. At the end of the interview, I mentioned that I would be happy to partake in any technical tests or assignments to grade my skills. I also mentioned that they could check out samples of my work on GitHub.

The interviewer said that I sounded like a "good fit" and I would be contacted for next steps in a few days. Instead of any further steps taken, I received a canned rejection letter.

My conclusion is that the HR interviewer is either incompetent or for whatever reason didn't like my "sound" during the phone screen. This was not only unprofessional but does a disservice to this organization in that fully qualified are summarily rejected based on pure personal subjectivity.

Interview Questions

• What were some of your favorite projects? What do you like about remote work?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype in October 2017.

Interview

A great HR.
    I've read the interview review of 'Senior Engineer' which was helpful.
    This was his advice to the management:
    Advice to management:
    1) Define your expectations during the technical challenge, and make sure they are clearly communicated to the candidate.
    2) 90%+ of software engineers around the world are not open source contributors. If you have a doubt about a candidate that you didn't see enough of his code, ask him to start with the code challenge before the interviews. This will save at least 10 man hours in your time sheets.

Sonatype listened to #1. They moved the coding exercise to the beginning of the process.
    #2 was not so lucky yet. No expectations were stated and I had to play a crystal ball game. I fell on the other end of the referenced interview review. Being warned of potential overengineering I came up with the simplest approach that worked. And it was not good enough.

Here is the feedback I received. Hope it'll help:
    - I'm seeing only sparse comments and no javadoc either
    - It's a shame, his solution is off the mark in terms of a truly multi-thread accessible construct but coding is pretty tight
    - The missing commentary, tests and build are all pretty telling
    - Didn't attempt to handle any sort of graceful shutdown in the producer/consumer (I asked specifically the guy, who handled the assignment to me if I should implement the shutdown, the answer was - no)
    - But the major issue is no tests and no build infrastructure

Summary of expectations: Javadoc, comments, tests, and build process (?) are expected.
    I am totally not sure about the build infrastructure. Maybe they meant maven (after all it's a maven company), or an IDE? Especially me working in Win environment and them, most likely, in Unix.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype.

Interview

After initial phone screening got contact details for 5 team members, scheduled 1:1 video calls with them. None of that brain-teaser 'how would you implement a red-black tree using only nand gates' kind-of-nonsense. I think the process has changed somewhat since then (2015).

Interview Questions

• Mostly background, what have I been working on recently and such   Answer Question