Sonatype User Research Coordinator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Sonatype

1 Interview Review

2.0

User Research Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype in February 2019.

Interview

For this role, I was contacted by the hiring manager directly; I thought that was odd, but I know that some companies bypass the whole "recruiter screening" process if the position is urgent. The interview was an hour long 1:1 video chat about the role itself and my background.

The hiring manager was pleasant, but when we conversed about the position itself, she was flustered and all-over-the-place. It just seemed to me that she didn't know what she wanted in particular and I left the interview thinking that it wasn't fair to call this a "User Research Coordinator" role.

To my understanding, this role is a very non-traditional user research coordination position where your primary focus WILL NOT be recruitment or streamlining UX recruitment processes. It sounded to me like they were pretty set in their ways despite it being quite difficult to find their participants and the many obvious loopholes in their user recruitment/coordination processes.

The hiring manager's primary expectation is for someone to come in and carry out UX research methods (building personas, surveys, etc) and supporting user research sessions (taking notes, etc) with product owners. Recruiting users is apart of that, but is not the focus.

For anyone interested in transitioning to a full-blown UX Researcher role, this might sound ideal, but when I asked about that prospect, the hiring manager said that she expected the person she hires for the UX Coordination role to be in that position for some time; granted, there would be growth potential but not toward becoming a UX Researcher. This didn't sound good to me.

As you can imagine, their UX coordination process has many layers and obstacles but I didn't get the impression that they wanted to implement best practices and industry standards as it pertained to finding their participants at all. Through the various questions I've asked, the hiring manager almost always deflected to working with UX POs and taking some things off her plate that were unrelated to UX coordination.

I knew right then and there that there was no clarity around the role itself and I didn't want to be apart of that. Fortunately for me, she must've felt the same way--I received a rejection email saying that while my UX research background was interesting, they've decided to proceed forward with other candidates.

If I have one suggestion to anyone pursuing this role or similar, just know what you're getting yourself into. It'll be a "many hats" kind of role that might leave you unfulfilled as a UX professional. I'd say this role is ideal for someone just coming into the field (1 year of experience) versus a seasoned professional (3-5+ years).

Interview Questions