Sony PlayStation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.7

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

There were a lot of casual interviews with directors, manager, senior manager, and a VP. Interviews were basically coffee chats on campus. Communication and likability were very important. Phone screen was also quite casual and full of personality as opposed to structure. Skype interview was similarly laid-back.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Lots of technical grilling and going over skills on your resume. One guy was super rude and shook his head whenever I answered questions, even when the other interviewers confirmed I was right. They asked me to whiteboard something in whatever language I wanted, so I did it in Java and even stated that it would work only in Java, and that guy kept saying "no it doesn't work in all languages, it's not portable." Then maybe he should've specified that he wanted code that would work in any language?! I don't know why he kept being so discouraging and interrupting me, like when I was in the middle of answering another interviewer's questions he would interrupt and ask me something completely different. I answered the majority of their questions right, Linux trivia, algorithms, whatever, but they told me after I interviewed that they were only going to hire one intern. I could tell from the way they were talking to me that I wasn't gonna be that one intern.

Localization Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

i applied online, and got an email from HR to let me fill out my time slot. Then I have got an phone interview. The phone interview lasted less than 20 minutes. I didn't make it into the second round of interview which would be an two hours of skype interview.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Diego, CA).

Interview

The manager asked me about my resume and several behavior questions. He also asked some general technical questions regarding the position, such as JavaScript and SQL. He was really friendly , as I was stuck in one of the questions about JavaScript. He said it was okay and explained me how to approach the question.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

Their recruiters could be a little more responsive, helpful, and not set me up for failure. One of their recruiters offered me an interview and I responded right away, asking if it was a contract position. No response. I found out during the interview that it was. Had I known, I might not have gone through with the interview. Another one of their recruiters contacted me for a followup interview and told me to come on site. And then told me to call in instead. I said I was already going to be there for another interview, so should I come in anyway? He said he'll check with the team. No response. I called him. No response. I emailed him. No response. So I waited for their call for an hour. Nothing. I emailed the team to see what happened and they said they were told that I was coming in. I never received confirmation while they thought I flaked on the interview. The team apologized on his behalf. I never heard from him.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, Got an coding assignment, Then selected for next round which was telephonic round around 1 hr asked to code and compile the code using codepair hackerrank. Then got invited for an onsite which lasted around 5 hrs with 6 people from team.

It was overall ok experience but very tiring and time consuming process. After solving all the problems correctly and few puzzles ( took some time in puzzles ) I got rejection on the grounds of took some time solve some problems.

I felt like they were looking for someone who can solve Dynamic programming type questions within 5-10 minutes with written code without taking a time to think about it. From assignment to phone interview and onsite I have been asked challenging question which I managed to solve but looks like hiring team wanted somebody with super super super coding skills.

I would advice them to be realistic about interviews, ask challenging questions but look for problem solving and optimized solutions rather than keep asking more and more difficult question until Interviewer gives up. From their Interview attitude and all tough questions I felt like they were not seriously looking to hire someone and wanted someone to immediately join their team. It was just a time waster for me also I waster a day off from my current interview by taking SONY seriously about the JOB.

Interview Questions

• Asked to code all dynamic programing questions like Minimum coins Max product subarray, Crossing bridge, some puzzles and system design questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I met a Playstation engineering manager at a Hacker X event. It is like a very specialized career fair. I dropped off my resume and they got back to me 3 weeks later. I had a phone interview with the engineering manager. Got feedback that same day and then scheduled an onsite for a week later.

Onsite included 5 interviews. 2 coding interviews, 1 whiteboarding design interview, and then 2 discussion interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is a project you are proud of? Follow up, describe it in GREAT detail.
      Why sony?

Write code to traverse a tree in a zig zag pattern.
      You are give a set of plane departures and arrivals time at hours of the day. Write code to determine when the most planes are in the air.
      Answer Question

QA Tester (Contract) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

2 hours meet with 2 groups of people. Basic questions about yourself and your testing experience. Just prepare on your experience and about yourself. They obviously want someone with game testing experience and gamers.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you over other candidates with game testing experience?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with hiring manager. Followed up skype interviews and on-site interviews that went through background, how you deal with others and what you think about the technology. Followed by a presentation you have to create prior to the on-site interview to present during the interviews (yes multiple times).

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Initial phone screen covered very basic java, REST and Spring. This was followed by a simple Java assignment. Onsite interview had to complete a simple cart based assignment in 45 min followed by basic questions on Spring, Hibernate, SQL and REST

Interview Questions

• SQL - difference between where and having. Write query using having with dept and emp tables   Answer Question
    • REST methods and give uri examples. Difference between PUT and POST   Answer Question
    • Give the result of code snippets having final method parameter   Answer Question