Sony PlayStation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sony PlayStation Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

30 minute phone screen covered java basics, spring, and hibernate.
    Two hour interview - 4 part coding exam - given 30 minutes to complete
    Coding exam followed by Q&A from engineers on java, spring and hibernate

Cloud Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

This one was one of the weirdest interview I have given. No pre-screening call by HR, rather direct interview call with the hiring manager. On the call, she sounded disinterested and half hearted even before we started. Asked me, to describe my current role and responsibilities and that's it....said Thank you.

I have no idea what she was looking for

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

First one of the recruiters approached me for the position at Sony Playstation, SF location. He passed me assessment test, then there were two-telephonic rounds. And finally on-site interview, it was for almost 5 hours long with lunch interview.
    In the telephonic round, I was given target sum question and excel sheet problem.

An advice - sometimes they can give you very simple code and try to make harder step by step to check your thinking. And after writing your code, cover all the possible test cases.

Interview Questions

• Target Sum -
      Given an array and sum, if any addition of any two memeber from array is target sum or not. If there is then return first number from array which makes target sum. If there is no target sum return 0.
      Input - array {1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, -5} and sum-0
      Output - 5
      Explaination - the sum is 0, and member 5 and -5 produces target sum. Since 5 comes before than -5 in an array, return 5.   Answer Question
    • Excel Sheet Problem:
      Given a String in method return the column number. Or in other words, convert Excel column number in integer.
      Input: "A"
      Output: 1
      Input: "AA"
      Output: 27

Explaination: Column A is very first column in Excel, so return 1.   Answer Question
    • Anagrams, Find duplicate from an array, one trie-based question(Just solution explanation). In Java heap, stack based question.   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Good experience over all. Accurate questions related to your field of experience and to the job you are applying for. Interviewers are very friendly and make you feel comfortable and perform the best you can during the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Many coding and problem solving questions. Quite challenging but doable if you prepare well. I found the interview exciting and I really enjoyed.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Lots of technical grilling and going over skills on your resume. One guy was super rude and shook his head whenever I answered questions, even when the other interviewers confirmed I was right. They asked me to whiteboard something in whatever language I wanted, so I did it in Java and even stated that it would work only in Java, and that guy kept saying "no it doesn't work in all languages, it's not portable." Then maybe he should've specified that he wanted code that would work in any language?! I don't know why he kept being so discouraging and interrupting me, like when I was in the middle of answering another interviewer's questions he would interrupt and ask me something completely different. I answered the majority of their questions right, Linux trivia, algorithms, whatever, but they told me after I interviewed that they were only going to hire one intern. I could tell from the way they were talking to me that I wasn't gonna be that one intern.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

There were a lot of casual interviews with directors, manager, senior manager, and a VP. Interviews were basically coffee chats on campus. Communication and likability were very important. Phone screen was also quite casual and full of personality as opposed to structure. Skype interview was similarly laid-back.

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Mateo, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Throughout the process, it was very unclear what was being interviewed for. As an engineer, I thought this would be more of a classical engineering interview, but it turned out the position was more business focused. It was also intense because there was a perceived lack of experience with gaming on my part.

Localization Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

i applied online, and got an email from HR to let me fill out my time slot. Then I have got an phone interview. The phone interview lasted less than 20 minutes. I didn't make it into the second round of interview which would be an two hours of skype interview.

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Firstly, I had a call with the technical recruiter for setting up the interview! In first round of interview I had 15min of call with the QA Manager and 30min Technical Interview with the QA team member where I was asked few general technical questions and a coding to be done!Once I cleared the phone interview I was called for face to face interview after a week where I had 4 people taking my interview and Unfortunately I did not get through and I had a huge hopes for this! Hopefully this will be helpful for future candidates!

Interview Questions

• Coding: Reveres the string in any programming language ? How do you log the defect? How did you perform web testing? Write a prime number program? What is the tool you used for cross browser testing? Process of Automation Testing   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Mateo, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied to Sony PlayStation (San Mateo) through a referral. The overall process was very unprofessional.
    I spoke with the Hiring Manager for 30 min regarding my background and experiences and how it aligned with the current role.
    The Hiring Manager informed me that he would be OOO and HR would set me up in the system.
    After 2-3 weeks of continuously checking with the HR for an update, the HR finally set me up in the system and sent me a case study to work on.
    I submitted the case study, following which I was called in for an Onsite interview.
    The onsite interview consisted of presentation to a panel followed by 1:1 with each of the team members. The interview went well.
    However, the Hiring Manager or the HR did not provide any feedback for 2 weeks in a row.
    One fine day, I receive a reject from the system for a role with a new title for which I hadn’t applied for. They apparently changed the role I interviewed for, with a new one.
    This is so unprofessional to waste a candidate’s time without being unsure of the role and its expectations and additionally, to not reply to my emails informing me of this change. I am never applying to PS again.

Interview Questions

• Resume, Behavioral based on experience and take home case study   Answer Question