Sony PlayStation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sony PlayStation Interview Questions

Updated Dec 11, 2017

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted by a recruiter one month later to schedule a phone interview with the hiring team manager. It was specifically stated in the mail to have a laptop with internet access ready as it was going to be a coding interview.
    A day later the recruiter gets back to say the manager has decided that a senior team member would be conducting my interview instead.
    During the interview, I come to know that it was not going to be a coding exercise but a Q&A of concepts. I was not prepared for this but still answered all but one question. When I informed the interviewer that I was told it was going to be a coding interview, she had no clue about it and said 'I was picked last minute and they didn't tell me much'. How disorganized!?

Interview Questions

• Q: About Java multithreading   1 Answer

Event Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation.

Interview

Two phone interviews, then an in-person interview at HQ. At HQ was interviewed by two teams of two. One set was very prepared, and it ran like most interviews. Another set was unsure what to ask, leaving the interview very awkward. After the in-person I never heard anything from them again even though I reached out multiple times.

Partner Alliances Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation in December 2017.

Interview

I applied via Indeed and got an email asking to schedule an interview. I scheduled it for the week after. Interview involved questions regarding analytics, marketing, and where the industry is going towards.

Interview Questions

• What do you think games are going towards?   1 Answer
    • Mind explaining exactly what you did for ______ project?   Answer Question

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

HR was horrible. Got contacted few months after applying. First was a phone call with hiring manager , which had scheduling issues . Followed by an in person interview with the team. Followed by another round of in person interviews .
    Then complete silence. No responses to email either from HR.
    While the interviews were engaging the overall experience with the HR and not having the courtesy to follow up either by HR or hiring manager is very
    unprofessional.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Got a phone call from a Hiring manager. Asked me a few Java Spring Question. I was able to answer all of them. Then he sent me a Java coding program to complete in a day or so.
    I completed the coding exercise and sent him the answer. I tested the code locally using my eclipse and made sure all the scenarios that are asked for have been tested. There was one requirement where I printed the result per file. But he was expecting it to print overall. Mine was even more granular. I mentioned this in my email too and told him that I know how to do it, but in the interest of time, I am leaving the solution as is it and if needed I would change it.
    It was a complex program and I took time to complete it thoroughly.
    But the interviewer did not respond back at all. Despite me sending an email, he turned a blind eye. He did not even have the basic manner of responding to the email saying, the program was good or bad.
    These interviewers are too rude and egoistic and think they are the best brains in the company.
    They don't even have the basic etiquettes of interviewing with the aspiring candidates.
    I am deeply disappointed by the interview process and specially a few interviewers especially in a company like this.
    Horrible!!

Interview Questions

• Write a program to copy files from one directory to another recursively and replacing the content of the file using regex based on the parameters passed etc.   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Mateo, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Interviewing at Sony Playstation was the most horrible interview experience I've ever had.

It started with a recruiter getting in touch that he wanted to chat about the opening giving me two time options: one in two hours, the other the next day.
    We agreed on the next day when I ended up waiting for him for 30 mins before sending a mail checking whether the interview was happening or not. 15 mins later he replied he can't reach my phone (it was on, right next to me and I did give him a correct number). We agreed to speak in two days' time instead.
    Two days later, he didn't show up (again) and didn't even respond to my mail if I should still wait or not. I sent another mail a couple of days later checking if the job is filled or if I should still count with a chat, which has been ignored.
    I consider this kind of behavior absolutely unacceptable! With so much competition in the Bay Area, I wonder how Sony plans to attract talent when recruiters treat candidates this way...

Machine Learning Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Had a quick conversation with a recruiter followed by two phone interviews. The first was with a machine learning team. I was pretty turned off by the manager's attitude. A lot of hubris for a company with little track record in this area. The second interview went much better. The recruiter contacted me a week later to say they weren't moving forward which was fine by me.

Interview Questions

• Mostly basic questions about big data, some ml algorithm details.   Answer Question

Cloud Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The entire hiring process took 3 weeks.The recruiters are very friendly and responsible.
    Had an initial call with the recruiter and then he scheduled a phone call with hiring manager.
    After the call with the hiring manager recruiter called me and scheduled an onsite interview.
    The on-site interview has taken place for around 4 and half hours with all the team members and Hiring manager. Had one more round of a phone call interview for 30 min with Director as a final step.

Interview Questions

• 1)Team members asked questions about past experience
      2)Technical questions all the tools that I worked.
      3) AWS security management
      4) questions on Linux commands (mostly on troubleshooting)
      5)CI/CD
      6) questions on HTTP calls and response errors
      7) Manager also asked some technical questions and also some attitude questions   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation in September 2017.

Interview

I applied for a role with PlayStation in July of 2017. In mid-August, I received an email asking for salary requirements, whether I’d need relocation, etc. plus interview availability dates. I responded within a day. Two weeks later, after I had written off this company, I receive an interview confirmation for a phone screen the following week (now, September). I accept. The interview itself was short and I was not asked any questions, the interviewer just talked about my resume and said I would be a good fit for multiple roles on the team and encouraged me to apply for additional roles. At the end of the call, the interviewer said they definitely wanted to fly me out (I am not located in CA). I did not hear from the company for 2.5 weeks. Finally, they asked for my availability for an in person and asked about arranging travel. I responded within an hour (this was on a Monday). The Friday following their initial request, I received a one line email saying that they were now going in a different direction for the role. I understand that I am not a local candidate and would need relocation, but I was very clear with that when the process began in August, and it is a horrible experience to let a candidate think they are in with a decent chance for a role and then yank the rug from beneath them with a poor explanation. I would never, ever recommend anyone apply or work for this company and I certainly won’t be applying again.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

After applying for this job, I had to deal with the most unprofessional and unorganized recruiter I’ve ever seen. Here’s some of the things she did:

- She asked me for phone availability and never got back to me until after a week
    - Any email to her required at least two follow up emails
    - She scheduled the first call with the hiring manager instead of herself. Hiring manager was surprised that no recruiter had talked to me first
    - She canceled the on-site interview less than 24 hours before and offered to re-schedule “if I’m still interested”!
    - On the interview day she just said hi and then and left the office
    - She did not get back to me after the On-site and did not reply to my follow up emails two weeks after. Not even a generic rejection email was sent. Since the interview was good and panel seemed happy, I was expecting some kind of closure on the result as I didn’t know if I was rejected or it was just her laziness... So I finally called her and only then I realized that I was not accepted. She promised that she would send me a detailed feedback but that never happened too.

Although I was interested in the job and the company, all in all, I had the worst interview experience in past 20 years.

Interview Questions

• Not many questions. They asked for a presentation which took me 3 days to prepare   Answer Question