Sony PlayStation Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Sony PlayStation Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jan 30, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, Got an coding assignment, Then selected for next round which was telephonic round around 1 hr asked to code and compile the code using codepair hackerrank. Then got invited for an onsite which lasted around 5 hrs with 6 people from team.

It was overall ok experience but very tiring and time consuming process. After solving all the problems correctly and few puzzles ( took some time in puzzles ) I got rejection on the grounds of took some time solve some problems.

I felt like they were looking for someone who can solve Dynamic programming type questions within 5-10 minutes with written code without taking a time to think about it. From assignment to phone interview and onsite I have been asked challenging question which I managed to solve but looks like hiring team wanted somebody with super super super coding skills.

I would advice them to be realistic about interviews, ask challenging questions but look for problem solving and optimized solutions rather than keep asking more and more difficult question until Interviewer gives up. From their Interview attitude and all tough questions I felt like they were not seriously looking to hire someone and wanted someone to immediately join their team. It was just a time waster for me also I waster a day off from my current interview by taking SONY seriously about the JOB.

Interview Questions

• Asked to code all dynamic programing questions like Minimum coins Max product subarray, Crossing bridge, some puzzles and system design questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I met a Playstation engineering manager at a Hacker X event. It is like a very specialized career fair. I dropped off my resume and they got back to me 3 weeks later. I had a phone interview with the engineering manager. Got feedback that same day and then scheduled an onsite for a week later.

Onsite included 5 interviews. 2 coding interviews, 1 whiteboarding design interview, and then 2 discussion interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is a project you are proud of? Follow up, describe it in GREAT detail.
      Why sony?

Write code to traverse a tree in a zig zag pattern.
      You are give a set of plane departures and arrivals time at hours of the day. Write code to determine when the most planes are in the air.
      Answer Question

Software Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Initial phones screen plus onsite interview. Was originally going to be with 5 people but we were ahead of schedule and they added one more. Faced both programming algorithm questions and QA testing strategy questions. Also asked usual background questions regarding previous experience and knowledge.

Interview Questions

• What scenarios I would test given a basic signup form   1 Answer
    • How to test if a given string is a palindrome   1 Answer
    • How to tell if a given dictionary of words contains any substring of a given string   1 Answer
    • Draw 3 analog clocks showing 12, 6 and 3:15. Now calculate the angle between the minute and hour hands for each one.   2 Answers
    • Was shown some testing code written in JavaScript. Asked to interpret each method, describe what it does and if it would work as is.   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

One phone interview followed by an in person (skype offered for those farther than 30mi). Was interviewed by 3 people in person all senior engineers. Generally pretty stress-free, easy going except for a couple harder theoretical questions. Don't be afraid to ask for help or guidance is you're stuck, my interviewers were v. helpful when prompted.

Interview Questions

• General algorithms (Stack/queue problem, sorting problem) and JavaScript quiz.   Answer Question

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

6 rounds of interview. all technical and conceptual questions asked. Most of the questions around the UI testing using automation tools and manual and how to improve existing codes and develop new ones using the object oriented concepts.

Interview Questions

• Selenium web driver questions, edge cases around a UI login page, Improvement that can be done to existing UI, priortizing defects   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

1st - phone screening, 2nd - phone background and they sent a homework for me. After that was onsite interview with 5 ppl for 5 hours. First 2 ppl asked about the basic Python questions. 3rd and 4th was a manager, asked me also basic questions(testing methodologies, framework) and general things(salary, why SNEI, work environment, and "what will you desire to the manager"). 1st and 2nd phone screening process was pretty smooth, but after 3rd on-site interview, I wait for 2weeks and got rejection email. Overall was a good experience for me.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied for Software Engineer intern position and had a phone interview with the hiring manager; I thought I did pretty well. A week later, I got a reject letter and thought it was done. The following week, the same manager contact me again and ask if I am interested in interviewing for Software Engineer I on-site. I thought it was kind of odd, but I accepted anyway and went interview on-site.

I had a typical 5 rounds of interviews on-site like everyone.

One of the interviewers was kind of rude and not very professional. He gave me a feeling that he was forced to be there, he just gave me problems and let me do my own thing, and he continued to work on his stuffs on the computer. Toward the end about 10 minutes left after I solved the problems that he gave me, he just sat down and continued working on his stuffs. I just sat there looking straight at him doing his work and unsure what to do. He didn't even asked me if I had any questions for him, since interviewers usually do at the end. It was really awkward during that 10 minutes. I tried to take the initiative and asked some questions, but he kept telling me to hold on, so I just stay quiet.

Finally met the hiring manager, talked to him; he's a very friendly and nice guy. The only thing that he surprised me was he acted like he had never looked over my resume.

Interview Questions

• Basic knowledge questions, nothing is unexpected. If you have the basics, its easy. The only thing that was unexpected, at least for me, is the attitude of one of the interviewer and the hiring manager   Answer Question

Senior Tools Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Very disorganized, poorly asked questions. Conducted phone + onsite and confirmed the offer verbally. Next week asked to come on site and interviewed with a random team out of Mars and rejected the candidature. Later heard that they eliminated the position which is good in a way but completely disorganized process.

Interview Questions

• Regular questions about the project and python basics like list comprehension, write test cases etc   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Was initially contacted by an engineer on the team who came across my profile online who wanted to make me aware of an open position they had available. I expressed interest and was later contacted by HR. We set up a phone interview with another engineer on the team for the next day. The phone interview was technical and went fine. I was contacted again by HR and was informed that I would be progressing to the next round. A 1-hour Skype interview was scheduled next. After that I was brought on-site for another technical interview with several groups of engineers which included problems at a whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• Algorithms questions such as max-sub sequence sums, kth largest item, etc.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Phone interview followed by onsite interview. Phone interview was about work experience and projects. Onsite interview was ok. no big surprises.

Negotiation

There was no need to negotiate.I got what I wanted.